Can someone point me to a Aduino_STM32 package that is still compatible with Arduino-1.5.8 [SOLVED, via Portable 1.6.5]

Windows XP,Vista,7,8 and 8.1 etc
hmeijdam

Can someone point me to a Aduino_STM32 package that is still compatible with Arduino-1.5.8 [SOLVED, via Portable 1.6.5]

Post by hmeijdam » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:32 pm

Hi All,

My first post, so let me introduce myself.
I am Hans from the Netherlands and just stepped into something new for me which is STM32. After two years of Arduino and ATTiny's projects I just got curious.
I am still using Arduino-1.0.6 as my base IDE, as for some reason it compiles smaller than Arduino-1.5.8 or 1.6.x. I also tweaked 1.0.6. for ATTiny13 and ATTiny85 which I use mainly.

So to get up and running with STM32 I tried Arduino-1.6.6 in combination with Arduino_STM32, but that did not work well. STM32F103 board becomes visible but nothing compiles. Only then I saw on this board that 1.6.6 is a known mess. So I did a portable install of Arduino-1.6.5 but if I then drop Arduino_STM32 in the Hardware folder None of the ST boards become visible. Same thing with a portable installation of arduino-1.5.8. No boards visible.

So I am looking for an Arduino_STM32 package that still has the ability to work with arduino-1.5.8. It may have a boards.txt template and some core files?
Does someone have a snapshot of such old version of Arduino_STM32 for me, or is there a way I can extract an old version out of Github myself? I must admit that I have never used Github other than pulling the latest versions from it.

Thanks,
Hans
Last edited by hmeijdam on Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogerClark

Re: Can someone point me to a Aduino_STM32 package that is still compatible with Arduino-1.5.8

Post by RogerClark » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:55 pm

I only recently removed support for 1.5.8 as its quite an old version

However if you look at platform.txt, in github, you should be able to pull out a slighly older version

BTW. Why do you need to use 1.5.8

1.6.4 and 1.6.5 is quite stable and they don't have the issues that are in 1.6.6

hmeijdam

Re: Can someone point me to a Aduino_STM32 package that is still compatible with Arduino-1.5.8

Post by hmeijdam » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:15 pm

Roger, Thanks for your prompt response.
I cannot afford to abandon my Arduino-1.0.6 and 1.5.8. portable environment yet, as I am using cores that are only available for those versions.
But if If I can make Arduino_STM32 work with a portable install of Arduino 1.6.5. that would be fine as well, so I followed your recommendation.

Here is what I did, and it works now with on a portable installatiion of Arduino 1.6.5

I first removed al other IDE's like STVD, STVP, CodeBlocks, Ride7, Cosmic, Rennoisance, AIR, etc... that I had played with and rolled my PC back to a point a month ago, when I did not have those tools.

Then I downloaded a fresh copy of the "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" from the Arduino 1.6.5 previous releases page at
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftw ... s#previous
I change the "sketchbook" folder from the default "c:\.....\My Documents\Arduino\" to a subfolder "sketches" in my portable installation folder.
in my case : "C:\Users\Hans\Desktop\arduino-1.6.5-r5\sketches"
This with the purpose to avoid Arduino-1.6.5 storing the sketches in my Arduino-1.0.6 environment and picking up all the libraries and cores that I have installed in the Arduino-1.0.6 environment.
After this I install the 1.6.5 support for the "Arduino Due" via the "boards manager".

Then I downloaded a fresh copy of your latest Arduino_STM32 package from Github. I cannot put it in the c:\.......\My Documents\Arduino\hardware folder as the portable installation is not using that anymore, after I changed my sketch folder. So I put this in the "hardware" folder of my portable installation, which is in my case "C:\Users\Hans\Desktop\arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware"

That worked this time as the boards now showed up and via STLink-V2 I could load the "blink" sketch to my STM32F103C

So next thing I need to figure out is how to put on the right bootloader and make it a DFU device, as for now it registers as a "Teensy USB Serial" when I hook it up via USB.

Thanks for your great work!
Hans

RogerClark

Re: Can someone point me to a Aduino_STM32 package that is still compatible with Arduino-1.5.8 [SOLVED, via Portable 1.6

Post by RogerClark » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:53 pm

Its fairly easy to make it work with 1.5.
if you look at

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... atform.txt

you can see where i removed support for 1.5.8

just download the version of platform.txt prior to that change and replace your local copy with that file.

If there are other dependancies, you will need to download the whole repo from that commit point, but I try to limit the number if changes per commit

BTW

even the latest version should work in portable mode as long as you use 1.6.4 or 1.6.5

Riva

Re: Can someone point me to a Aduino_STM32 package that is still compatible with Arduino-1.5.8 [SOLVED, via Portable 1.6

Post by Riva » Fri May 06, 2016 7:23 am

RogerClark wrote:Its fairly easy to make it work with 1.5.
even the latest version should work in portable mode as long as you use 1.6.4 or 1.6.5
Sorry for posting here (my first post on this forum) but this was the most suitable unlocked thread I could find for the issue I had. The post is also a bit verbose as it may help other new users with the same problem.

Your thread (http://www.stm32duino.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=32) on installation on Windows is a little out of date as the Arduino IDE is up to version 1.6.8 but I had read in another thread about compatibility problems with 1.6.6+ and the suggestion to use 1.6.5.
Following your guide I installed 1.6.5 and copied the Arduino_STM32 core into hardware folder but could not get anything to compile and kept getting the error...
Cannot run program "{runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc.path}\bin\arm-none-eabi-g++" (in directory "."): CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
It turns out the problem is the 1.6.5-r5 download only contains AVR core files and you need to download the Arduino SAM Boards core files to get the toolchain to compile STM32 boards.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri May 06, 2016 8:07 am

I forget when it changed, but the IDE team removed the ARM compiler some time between 1.5 and 1.6.5, so it now has to be installed using the boards manager