Maple DFU driver problems

Windows XP,Vista,7,8 and 8.1 etc
mrburnette

Re: Maple DFU driver problems

Post by mrburnette » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:28 am

Cmustard wrote:Hi Ray,

Thanks for the warning :-)
Indeed just found out the hard way that the libs are not all 100% linking to the "right" files.
I thought to take an SPI OLED example for a spin as a fairly easy first step with a (hopefully) nice result.
<...>
Paul, you may want to look at my project page, I almost always place STM32 modified libs into the sketch to avoid what you are seeing.
SPI OLED, for example

Good luck!

Ray

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:35 am

Cmustard wrote: <...>
I think it would be easier to manage if all libs were only stored in one central spot, but that would be too easy I guess.

Paul
How many OS's allow the same file name in the same location? Anyway, that is the issue: folder names and file names! A mangler would be required for that approach: visible name just a display with the real-name all garbled. Or, a code-safe could be utilized. Bunch of architectural changes, I think.

Disk space is cheap, keep the libs local and working code will continue to work regardless what Library Manager does!

Ray

Cmustard

Post by Cmustard » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:52 am

Thanks all for your wise advice!

I was working with an SSD 1306 128x64 spi oled module (and the adafruit lib port)
Geting the display to work is not so much my prime concern, but thanks for the assistance anyway 8-)
It's more about having the library structure setup as such that I could easily swap between the various MCU platforms
(Arduino ESP8266 and STM32) and still keep everything working from the same IDE
As that would allow me to chose the best board for a certain job. (wifi enabled, more or less speed, more interrupts, more or less GPIO etc.)

For the same filename in the same spot problem you're right Ray.
I know no OS that can handle this nicely.
However It does not need to have the same name or sit in the exact same directory.
As long as I know what to append or prefix to the library name I'm good I guess.
For me that makes life as simple as focusing on the correct include statements and pin layout.
The rest of the code can be kept more or less the same/similar and thus makes it posible to port between hardware much simpler.

But now it's not like there is one Library directory tree that contains all the magic.
it's in various independant dir trees.. which is somewhat confusing.
the program files tree, in the users/local/apps tree and in the users/my documents tree..
well that makes newbies like me mad until they understand the order of inclusion.
so indeed if all would be sitting local to the sketch it probably solves that problem and uploads the sketch nicely to the board.

Once I've figured it out I'm more than happy to share what I did to get things moving.
Or I'll switch IDE It's not like I'm married with it anyways.

Cheers,
Paul

Cmustard

Post by Cmustard » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:37 am

By putting all files in one dir all worked within 5 minutes.
(I just made my life easier by downloading the zip from Ray's link mentioned above.)

Only my display did need the CS pin connected as opposed to the comment mentioned in the sketch.

This means I'm probably not going to mess about with the default library folders anymore and just collect the working libraries in a per platform folder.
Here I'll then also create my own examples folder and put the right examples per platform in there.
This gives me the right degree of freedom and the wanted simplicity within the IDE.
Would be nice however if the IDE would understand that libraries are bound to MCU platforms which is always the case.
this would allow anyone to port a sketch to another board by simply selecting the right board settings in the IDE (and thus inherit thecorrect library set)
but unfortunately this is not how it works currently..

Perhaps this is a nice idea for the IDE developer comunity :)

by doing the above I can confirm the Arduino.cc IDE version 1.6.8 does work if you import the board manager via the json file of dan drown
And install the DFU driver as admin from the STM32duino libraries zip file on a windows 10 laptop.

Thanks all !
Paul

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:11 pm

Cmustard wrote:By putting all files in one dir all worked within 5 minutes.
(I just made my life easier by downloading the zip from Ray's link mentioned above.)
<...>
I'm an old fart and been around the course a few times: since I publish some of my stuff, I have always looked for a way with Arduino to avoid things working when I write 'em and not working when a newer library is released. The core libraries and IDE flags (and underneath the compiler and linker) are at a level that is generally well regression tested - excepting a major architectural change: 0.22 ---> 1.0 ---> 1.5, etc. So, the bulk of my concern has been to just worry about myself and the 3rd party libraries.

Back a few years ago, I did 6 months of dedicated Cyrpess PSoC playing... the first 3 months were just to get my brain exercised and ready for the power of that platform. The Windows only Cypress IDE is a drag-n-drop world of software and hardware components. Part of the IDE is a backup and regression compression of the existing work (all C code or assembler) into a single ZIP. Additionally, libraries are copied from a holding area into the sketch area and they too get backed up in the ZIP. So, one is never working with the "real" library, only a copy.

In thinking about the above, it seemed a perfect way to publish projects, a single ZIP. When I went back to Arduino at the time of the STM32 Maple effort, I carried that paradigm for most of my published projects. It has served me well and I do not have to document in the article where the libraries come from, I do that in the code in a tab that I call "Notes.h" which is just a dummy dotH file.

One thought that has been hammered into me by some very scary forum members (and ones I consider to be friends for telling me), "When doing the #includes in your sketches and libraries, always use the "/" slash and never the "\"backslash. It seems that Windows supports the slash as well as Apple and Linux .... if you use the backslash, Linux and OS-X dudes and dudettes are going to have to edit the code ... terrible inconvenience for them.

Ray

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:33 pm

oops you're using 1.6.8 - not sure if this helps or hinders :o

arduino_std, arduino_stm32 and json installed esp8266 seem to place nicely here. 1.6.5r5/latest stm32/esp 2.1(?) jessie64

my expectation of the ide would be to take the current platform as first in the search path, then add the arduino_std path
the ide outputs messages regarding the libs it's using and they seem to show that behavior.

just tried with esp8266 under sketchbook/hardware thinking arduino_stm32 and am seeing all boards listed, no xtsensa tools. when i then re-did it as per the instructions (~/ard178/hardware), it had the xtsensa compiler installed and worked.

stephen

MykolasB

Post by MykolasB » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:53 pm

I've bought two STM32F103C8T6 boards from Aliexpress, but could not install drivers for them.
Both install_drivers.bat and install_STM_COM_drivers.bat shows fours errors "libwdi:error [wdi_create_list] could not get hardware ID".
USBview shows DeviceFailedEnumeration, all the properties (including idVendor and idProduct) are 0x0000. I've tried two different USB cables (both works with my smartphone). I'm using Win 10, 64 bit.
Any help?

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:50 pm

check if r10 istr is marked 103(10k) or 152(1k5), 152 is good
either tack a 1k8(182) in parallel or replace with a 152

this needs to be in Blue Pill notes in either FAQ or on wiki with a picture for r10 location
probably already is :D

stephen

MykolasB

Post by MykolasB » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:12 am

Thanks. Works great now.

Vassilis

Post by Vassilis » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:26 pm

@MykolasB
How did you finally solve the problem ?
By burning the stm32duino bootloader or by replacing the R10 ?
( http://www.stm32duino.com/viewtopic.php ... 345#p33347 )