Maple DFU driver problems

Windows XP,Vista,7,8 and 8.1 etc
C_D

Maple DFU driver problems

Post by C_D » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:25 pm

Hi guys, Ive been away for a while working on other things, but I'm back into playing with STM32duino again :D

Unfortunately my dev machine has recently been upgraded to Win10 and ive had to re set everything up. I have my Arduino environment working, it seems to compile code fine, but I cant upload to the board via the bootloader.

I'm using Blue Pill boards so LED on PC13 and perpetual bootloader mode by pulling up PC14. The board shows up as a 'USB Serial Device (COMX) in device manager so that seems to be working, but if go into perpetual bootloader mode the device shows up as 'Other devices - Maple 003' with no driver loaded.

I have run install_drivers.bat but it doesnt seem to make a difference. Any hints?

C_D

Re: Maple DFU driver problems

Post by C_D » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:02 pm

Ok so manually installing the libusb-win32 driver using Zadig seems to have worked.

Any ideas why the original method didn't?

EDIT:
Ok so I'm still not convinced this is working correctly. I now get the libusb-win32 device 'Maple 003' whenever its in DFU mode, thats fine. But it wont always go back to COM port mode after the sketch is uploaded. The sketch definitely uploads and runs, and *some* sketches seem to get it back into COM port mode, but not all. Its quite odd and quite frustrating.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:55 am

C_D wrote:Ok so manually installing the libusb-win32 driver using Zadig seems to have worked.

Any ideas why the original method didn't?

EDIT:
Ok so I'm still not convinced this is working correctly. I now get the libusb-win32 device 'Maple 003' whenever its in DFU mode, thats fine. But it wont always go back to COM port mode after the sketch is uploaded. The sketch definitely uploads and runs, and *some* sketches seem to get it back into COM port mode, but not all.
Maybe because you are on Win10. I had to go through "test mode" on 8.1 Professional to keep Win8.1 consistently working with Maple. Bottom line, Microsoft driver security.

I finally said, "Screw it..." and moved to Linux. Only been a week, but things are better.

As far as reset after upload, I do not know anyone that is hitting 100% success rate. The best I had under Win 8.1 was maybe 9 out of 10. Linux seems to also not be perfect in this regard, either. The bootloader 2.0 seems much better than the original one, however.
Its quite odd and quite frustrating.
Surely you jest? I learned programming on a batch system; we wrote Fortran on coding sheets and then had to sit at a terminal and "cut" the cards. Then to the I/O manager to get the cards read into queue. Later, much later sometimes, we were called back to the I/O room to pick to out greenbar printouts. I know that personal computers have made 'batch' essentially a dead topic, but if you are in a change-a-line, recompile, run, change another line, recompile, upload, run, make another change ...
Well, no wonder you are frustrated. I call this the Calculus of modern programming: successive approximation. Yes, one can eventually get the job done, but IMO a little time planning and documenting can pay big benefits by lowering blood pressure. For example, output formatting drives some programmers crazy where just a few minutes with a piece of graph paper (or Excel) can really make this process much more efficient.

Ray

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:37 am

This is the second or third posting about W10 issues in the last week.

I wonder if MS changed something in one of those forced updates that W10 users can't avoid.

You could try doing what I suggested in the other thread, goto the device, select update driver, browse to the Arduino\hardware\STM32\drivers\win\maple-dfu folder and select it.

The info files for Maple DFU are in there, and it may load them

If it doesnt load, and you have run the Bat file (with uses libwdi), it definitely looks like a change in W10 is doing this.

We use this To install the driver, as it needs to do some tricks to create self certified files

https://github.com/pbatard/libwdi

But it could be that we need to recompile using the latest version of libwdi

However as I don't have W10, I can't be much help.

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:22 pm

@Ray
Surely you jest? I learned programming on a batch system; we wrote Fortran on coding sheets and then had to sit at a terminal and "cut" the cards. Then to the I/O manager to get the cards read into queue. Later, much later sometimes, we were called back to the I/O room to pick to out greenbar printouts. I know that personal computers have made 'batch' essentially a dead topic, but if you are in a change-a-line, recompile, run, change another line, recompile, upload, run, make another change ...
1970 Lower 6th form
punch paper tape -friday pm
get results a week later, redo paper tape
repeat as required
figure out the logic/syntax error, redo paper tape
get results a week later, redo paper tape
repeat as required

1972 uni 1st yr
for a while, see Rays bit
discovered lecturer using tele-type to test the supplied fortran
next day, engineers solution - i got permission to use tele-types, user id zmemw16

years later and for 23yrs, bw494540 was my clock number at work

next'll probably my winning lottery numbers or a punch out ticket number :D

stephen

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:40 pm

RogerClark wrote: <...>
However as I don't have W10, I can't be much help.
Oh, my! I don't have W10 either :lol:
And since I'm like a pig in warm mud from my recent migration to Linux, I am pretty sure if W10 ever comes back into this house it will be because of my wife - certainly not I.

Ray

Just thinking, W10 (non-professional/enterprise) may be preventing self-signing of drivers.

Cmustard

Post by Cmustard » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:22 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm new to all this stuff but for me the machine gods were pretty kind..
As soon as I figured out that the JSON file from Dan Drown could be easily imported in the 1.6.8 version of the .cc IDE under the file/preferences menu
I thought this is going to be tricky as I already read several threads that 1.6.5 was the tops version :-(

My newly arived "maple mini's" didn't show up properly in the W10 connected devices list.
and so the com port in the IDE was greyed out.
... driver issue.

the "run as administrator" of the drive .Bat file in your original STM32 distribution fixed the DFU driver from the windows end and
once I uploaded the blink sketch under examples/digital all went back to normal.

now obviously I'm a total noob and it took me a few hours to find the scattered infos as this is not the webs most popular topic so Google has some catching up to do.. :-)
but for me this worked without troubles.

Thanks for all the good work you guys have put into it so far I'm fairly sure I couldn't have figured it out without your earlier stumbles.

Paul

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:49 pm

Paul,

Caveat:

Dan has worked hard to provide the Board Manager implementation. Please keep a close watch on Dan's page to note how his repository is tracking the master from Roger. What this means is that there is some "delta time" between how things get absorbed into Dan's set of code.

I am glad it all worked easily for you, I believe that was Dan's intention. But we as a team are not Board Manager compliant with Roger's master and development code, so if you have problems with a sketch you "know" should be working, then the first place to look for the answer would be between the two repositories.

One of the reasons that there is some defiance (me) between the board manager implementation and the ZIP download and install directly into Arduino/hardware/ is that I (and maybe others) are running on IDE 1.7.9 from Arduino.org ... and 1.7.9 does not support the Board Manager concept.

Ray

Cmustard

Post by Cmustard » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:04 pm

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the warning :-)
Indeed just found out the hard way that the libs are not all 100% linking to the "right" files.
I thought to take an SPI OLED example for a spin as a fairly easy first step with a (hopefully) nice result.
but ..you probably guessed it already.. no joy yet..
ther may be several reasons for that but one I could spot fairly easily

the libs are linking to the standard arduino adafruit .h files instead of the STM32-ified / ported and renamed .h files
and that causes some "redeclaratoin" errors @ compile time.

I have been fiddling around a bit with AVR and nodeMCU recently in this IDE and now I'm trying the STM32 stuff.
I'm afraid that the fiddling around is now causing me grief :-( as there are several similar libs in various directories.

But If you want to work with several board architectures next to eachother, you need to have several ported libs available.
To make things worse the library files are stored in various paths for some reason.
I think it would be easier to manage if all libs were only stored in one central spot, but that would be too easy I guess.

Paul

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:31 pm

@Cmustard

which spi oled [ and code] would enable others to assist! ( ili9241 / which example have you adjusted ) :D

i hate to think how many posts contain those words, 51 somehow that seems very low.

stephen