Upgrading to El Capitain (clean start over.)

Apple Mac OSX
sheepdoll

Upgrading to El Capitain (clean start over.)

Post by sheepdoll » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:45 pm

OSX 10.7 was getting too old. It stopped syncing to my iPhone. Before I left last month for a cruise to Alaska I did a clean install of El Capitain onto a 1TB drive that I swapped out for the MINI.

I then installed Arduino 1.6.11. Finally got around to testing it and there are quite a few issues. Namely complaints about deprecated compiler switches in platforms.txt

Looks like I need to start over clean (Which was part of the plan.) Which of the HalMX projects is the most stable for Stm32F4?

I am debating on re- installing Eclipse. Somehow I had hacked it to find the Arduino compiler paths and to USE GDB. I looked at the links I bookmarked for installation and they seem badly outdated.

The other option is to install the OpenStm32. I started the download of that which says it will take 3 to 4 hours. Went away for a few hours and it simply said "download failed." Now attempting a retry.

I still have my latest on the laptop (that runs Yosemite) That never had the eclipse GDB. I took that and the Raspberry pi zero on the cruse. Was never able to set up a peer to peer ad-hoc net as I kept getting the ships DHCP and firewall. I did have some of the STM32 dev boards, but no real way to do anything without internet connectivity to the help files. Instead I connected the 2.5 TFT to the pi. I had fortunately downloaded the patched kernel from Adarfruit.

My current goal still remains the same, which is to run the Adafruit GFX library on one of the ST dev boards which has a TFT.

The problem with the pi, is that programming is a completely different mindset. Everything there is done with apt-get install. The rest is mostly finger painting. Writing scripts, changing skins etc.

I much prefer the Arduino approach with direct hardware access to the port pins and peripherals.

If I did go back to eclipse, which is the best version (for GDB through the ST-link.?)

Slammer

Re: Upgrading to El Capitain (clean start over.)

Post by Slammer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:13 pm

Avoid Neon (4.6), it is very new and some plugins are not fully compatible with it yet.
Mars (4.5) is the best option.
One more advice, don't use the installer, creates a very bloated setup, start with the plain Eclipse , (from drops directories here : http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/dow ... 602121500/ take only the Runtime Binary) and install everything else as plugins (CDT, ARM plugin etc)
Last edited by Slammer on Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:20 pm

Thanks Slammer

I just downloaded Neon onto a Linux box, (for a different project using the nRF51822 - which is also an ARM device) but I'll download and install Mars instead if Neon really mainstream yet.

Can you post the link to the ARM plugin again ?

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:41 pm

It is very important to start with the minimal runtime environment (look my previous post, I added the link), then add as addons the CDT, ARM plugin or everything else.
It is very simple to have two or more versions of eclipse in the same machine (at least with linux). The minimal runtime environment is just a zip, you can use separate directories for different versions, for example, eclipse-mars, eclipse-neon.

The ARM plugin is here : http://gnuarmeclipse.github.io/install/

A very nice guide about GDB with STM32 is here : http://www.chibios.org/dokuwiki/doku.ph ... s:eclipse2
While the article is related with ChibiOS the instructions are very usefull for any STM32 application. Note that in this article the ARM plugin is not used, actually if you dont need the "code wizards" (for startup and linkscripts) the plugin is not required, it is possible to build and debug STM32 applications with the stock CDT, Crosstool plugin and hardware debugger.
Last edited by Slammer on Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:45 pm

@slammer

Thanks for reposting.

sheepdoll

Post by sheepdoll » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:34 am

The OpenSTM32 system workbench (AC6) finally finished downloading so I installed it.

The underlying platform is eclipse mars. Looks like everything is pre configured for the STM demo boards I have. Will find out soon enough.

Next install is the CubeMX. Now with an actual mac installer, so I should not need to use the java scrips to install it.

Interesting, the CubeMX installer is pretty much the same as the AC6 installer. These tools are supposed to work together...

Now to get them to work with the Arduino setup ...