Yosemite tale of misery

Apple Mac OSX
Rick Kimball

Yosemite tale of misery

Post by Rick Kimball » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:15 pm

I have an iMac that I normally run it as a linux / bootcamp windows xp machine. When I did boot into OS/X it would only to be for a brief time. The machine is an early 2009 intel iMac. I had resisted the urge to upgrade OS/X so I was stuck at 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). However, playing with these stm32f103 chips has pushed me to go for the Yosemite 10.10 upgrade. It is free and it seems that if you want to use CDC ACM tty ports it is an easy option.

I did the Yosemite upgrade from the Apple Store download. It took a long time, don't believe the message that it was 23 minutes till completion. I mowed the front lawn, went to the gas station for more gas, then did the back lawn while waiting for it to finish. My first test to see if bootcamp worked was a complete failure. My bootcamp partition was toast now, it would start to boot and give me a BSOD. Even worse is that Yosemite bootcamp won't work with the 32 bit Windows XP even if I reinstall. I screwed around with it for a couple of hours. Trying to reinstall with bootcamp and finally I gave up and just wiped out Bootcamp and made it an NTFS partition. I put the bootcamp drivers on a usb stick and then installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit from DVD. I skipped bootcamp altogether and just installed it natively and added any missing drivers from the bootcamp drivers. OK, so at least I got back to where I was .. wait .. now it won't recognize my external USB drives that have linux. More screwing around and finding out that Yosemite does "special things" with the GPT partition. I reinstalled rEFind and got back to a fully working system, hours and hours later.

So with all the preliminaries complete, I loaded up Arduino 1.6.5 from the arduino.cc download. Then I plopped the stm32duino git hub tree into my hardware/sketch directory. I fired it up and was promptly presented with a missing libusb message when I tried to use stlink download. BTW: the arm gcc compile worked fine after using board manager to install the SAMD board packages (Arduino Zero). I installed macports and libusb-compat and still the message .. then I realized it was looking for the libusb in /usr/local/lib .. I exported DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib and restart arduino and it all worked. pheww ...

So what did I learn from that time sinking activity:

o I learned that the stlink stuff is dynamcially linked with the homebrew stuff not the macports libs.
o I relearned that you can't trust Apple fans when they say that the upgrade is painless
o People who love macs put up with a lot of crap and claim everything is wonderful.
o Macs aren't any simpler than any other operating systems.
o I learned that the stm32duino stuff does work with a mac and for that I'm happy.

-rick
-rick

sheepdoll

Re: Yosemite tale of misery

Post by sheepdoll » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:59 pm

Rick Kimball wrote:
So what did I learn from that time sinking activity:

o I learned that the stlink stuff is dynamcially linked with the homebrew stuff not the macports libs.
o I relearned that you can't trust Apple fans when they say that the upgrade is painless
o People who love macs put up with a lot of crap and claim everything is wonderful.
o Macs aren't any simpler than any other operating systems.
o I learned that the stm32duino stuff does work with a mac and for that I'm happy.

-rick
LOL. (I spent most of last week getting eclipse to run on Mac, talk about time wasting...)

Good that you got it to work. There is a reason I am staying with 10.7.5 as long as I can. Keep my hardware platforms separate.

The irony is that macs are not easy to program/setup. They are "easy" to use by those who want to browse things or read files draw pictures.

Apple hardware tends to last longer. A 2009 Pc is pretty much trash by now,as these have about an 18 month lifespan. Apple (which got the idea from Disney) uses the 7 year rule. Products are designed to last 7 years. This keeps the fan base loyal, and there is a new generation to purchase the latest and greatest every year.

When I do upgrade, I run things overnight. Apart from the need to confirm things every few hours. 20 years ago I worked for Apple Imaging QA, the contractors were paid by the hour. So long installs that needed babysitting were good for job retention.

Then Apple got this brilliant idea. Instead of paying us, we now have to pay them?

Rick Kimball

Post by Rick Kimball » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:46 pm

sheepdoll wrote:Apple hardware tends to last longer. A 2009 Pc is pretty much trash by now,as these have about an 18 month lifespan.
I should note that the computer was used initially in a contract I got to port some Windows/Linux code to OS/X and then I basically turned it off for 3 years : ) Then when I did turn it back on just before the 3 year service plan was up the display died. Luckily it was the month before it was up. Sadly, I bought this at the closest Apple retail store in Raleigh (3.5 hours from me) ... To get it serviced I had to drive there. They wouldn't let me ship it even if I paid for it. So I drove up there and said can I wait for this .. or come back in 6 hours .. they said no this will take a week. So I drive back home the other 3.5 hours. The next day they call me and tell me it is ready .. wtf .. So I drive back 3.5 up and 3.5 back to get it. ... Apple .. don't get me started.

-rick
-rick

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:55 pm

Yosemite has been a complete pain for me as well.

Apple force anyone developing for iOS or OSX to update OSX to the new version, because they make XCode only run on the latest OSX and force you to update XCode to support the latest iOS, which is in turn a requirement to submit apps to the App store.

So I foolishly updated me 4 year old Macbook pro, and it now runs like a snail.

I cant remember the order i did this in, but i also updated Windows XP to Windows 7 on the same machine.
But after I updated to W 7, i could not find any bootcam for windows installation file that would run.
All installers told me i had unsupported hardware.

Fortunately, in the end, i just looked in the individual folders for the bootcam stuff, and found i could bypass the initial hardware validation exe, and install the drivers i needed, individually.

One of my non techie friends, also managed to screw up his 1 year old Mac, by updating to Yosemite, and ended up having to take it into an Apple store, where the downgraded it back to the original OSX version ( probably Mountain Lion) and told him not to update to a new OS again ( as a lot of stuff breaks) !