Getting started with Maple Mini on OS X 10.10 + Arduino 1.6.5

Apple Mac OSX
Trion

Getting started with Maple Mini on OS X 10.10 + Arduino 1.6.5

Post by Trion » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi,

when I connect the Maple Mini clone, I can see that the device is recognized using

Code: Select all

$ system_profiler SPUSBDataType     | awk '
      /Product ID:/{p=$3}
      /Vendor ID:/{v=$3}
      /Manufacturer:/{sub(/.*: /,""); m=$0}
      /Location ID:/{sub(/.*: /,""); printf("%s:%s %s (%s)\n", v, p, $0, m);}
    '
which yields (among other things)

0x1eaf:0x0003 0x06200000 / 2 (LeafLabs)
The blue LED is blinking at 2Hz.
I have "Maple Mini" configured as "Board" in the Arduino IDE.
However, there is no serial device detected by the Arduino IDE.

I ran "dfu-util -l" from the folder ~/Documents/Arduino/hardware/Arduino_STM32/tools/macosx/dfu-util and it yields:

dfu-util 0.8

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2014 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org

Found DFU: [1eaf:0003] ver=0201, devnum=2, cfg=1, intf=0, alt=1, name="DFU Program FLASH 0x08005000", serial="LLM 003"
Found DFU: [1eaf:0003] ver=0201, devnum=2, cfg=1, intf=0, alt=0, name="DFU Program RAM 0x20000C00", serial="LLM 003"
Looks good, doesn't it?

How do I proceed from here? Why is the Arduino IDE not recognizing the DFU that dfu-utils list?
What do I have to configure as "Programmer" in the Arduino IDE?

RogerClark

Re: Getting started with Maple Mini on OS X 10.10 + Arduino 1.6.5

Post by RogerClark » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:04 pm

ignore the Programmer menu, its not used.

Depending on what is loaded onto your maple mini when you received it... Its either running blink or its waiting in the bootloader as it doesnt have a sketch to run.

The bootloader checks if the Sketch start address is empty, and if so, it just waits in dfu mode forever. if they loaded blink, it will run as a dfu device for about 1 second then run the sketch.

Note. It does not run DFU and Serial at the same time. It runs dfu in the bootloader and serial in the sketch and resets the usb in between

I have noticed some issues with libusb being missing, so I would recommend you install dfu-util using Homebrew as this installs libusb ( even though we no longer use homebrew's copy of dfu-util)

Actually, it looks like i need to recompile dfu util to get rid of this external library dependancy, but i only realised it was a problem a few day ago and have not had time to investigate how to compile with static libs instead of dynamic libusb.

BTW. there are big problems with El Capitain, due to additional security, but I thought Yosemite was ok.

Trion

Post by Trion » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:13 pm

I had already installed the latest libusb separately, after that "dfu-util -l" started showing the device. Doesn't that mean that DFU is OK?

Anyway, I tried it with Windows 8.1, Arduino 1.6.5 and "Arduino Due 1.65" (from the board manager) and flashed it successfully (after some failed attempts).

It appears that the USB can't reset the Maple Mini clone, I have to reset it manually.
Also, I can't seem to flash the new boatloader 2.0, only the original will do.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:41 pm

did you try running the bootloader updater sketch

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... er_updater

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:57 pm

that boot loader is rather nifty :shock: :D

kolalde

Post by kolalde » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:54 pm

That reminds me I was never able to see the serial device enumerate when I connected the MM directly to my MacBook Pro. I'll have to go back and check if it worked with the original boot loaded, and not the new, or what the details are.

Using the new boot loader, when connected through a 4 port generic hub (that's connected to my thunderbolt monitor, then connected to the MBP) the serial port enumerates at: /dev/cu.usbmodem801211, Arduino IDE sees that port and I can program normally.

This is on:
OSX 10.10.5
MM clone, BAITE BTE-14-07

DJ Namaste

Post by DJ Namaste » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:38 pm

Hi Im new to the maple mini and using osx 10.10.5 and arduino 1.6.5 the usb serial port is not showing. I read this thread and tried uploading the bootloader code here https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... pdater.ino

I tried pushing the two buttons together prior to upload and im getting an error. The maple mini bte14-07 does not show up as a usb device.

Very new to this so hope you can help.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:21 pm

DJ Namaste wrote: <...>
I tried pushing the two buttons together prior to upload and im getting an error. The maple mini bte14-07 does not show up as a usb device.
<...>

Welcome!

Pushing the two buttons is sequenced as pushing Reset and holding, then pushing the DFU and holding, then releasing reset (and I believe then releasing DFU ... been a while since I used this method... it is held or released, but I think released.)

Check out the WiKi here.

Ray

DJ Namaste

Post by DJ Namaste » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:00 pm

I downloaded the leaflabs compiler and I can run the blink sketch and change the blink timing. In Arduino I can see the smt32 usb device and . When I try to upload a sketch I get maple_upload: line 34: /Applications/Arduino: No such file or directory. Any tips? Do I need to burn the bootloader or something?

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:16 pm

DJ Namaste wrote:
  • I downloaded the leaflabs compiler and I can run the blink sketch and change the blink timing.
  • In Arduino I can see the smt32 usb device and .
  • When I try to upload a sketch I get maple_upload: line 34: /Applications/Arduino: No such file or directory.
Any tips? Do I need to burn the bootloader or something?
If the old Leaflab's GUI (muck'd version of arduino 0022) can program the Maple Mini, the bootloader is working.

The issue appears to me to be with OSX. Roger or one of the Apple dudes will have to assist, I'm Win/Linux and have not used OS X since Tiger.

Ray