Install STM32duino on Raspbian?

All distros
GianniDPC
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:09 am

Install STM32duino on Raspbian?

Post by GianniDPC » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:40 pm

I tried installing STM32 Cores which are coming from https://github.com/stm32duino/BoardMana ... index.json but it throws an error at me. Can I solve this? Or isn't this possible?
I just thought that it would be kinda cool to program the board with my Pi :)

FYI: The board I'm trying to use is a F091RC.

The error: http://imgur.com/a/R4H9R

User avatar
RogerClark
Posts: 7545
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Install STM32duino on Raspbian?

Post by RogerClark » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:24 am

There isn't support for compiling on the RPi at the moment.

However someone has submitted a PR with the files to do this.

See

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... 2/pull/283

No one has had time to test whether this PR is OK, hence its not been included yet.

And after inclusion, it would need to be added to the board manager package, which is not maintained by me, but is done by @ddrown, who only updates it occasionally.

So. If you want to try this

You'd need to clone the repo into your Arduino/hardware folder

Then pull the PR to your clone

I'd recommend you contact https://github.com/tekk who created the PR, about the best way to install from github

GianniDPC
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Install STM32duino on Raspbian?

Post by GianniDPC » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:47 am

RogerClark wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:24 am
There isn't support for compiling on the RPi at the moment.

However someone has submitted a PR with the files to do this.

See

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... 2/pull/283

No one has had time to test whether this PR is OK, hence its not been included yet.

And after inclusion, it would need to be added to the board manager package, which is not maintained by me, but is done by @ddrown, who only updates it occasionally.

So. If you want to try this

You'd need to clone the repo into your Arduino/hardware folder

Then pull the PR to your clone

I'd recommend you contact https://github.com/tekk who created the PR, about the best way to install from github
I cloned the repo with the pull request included and put it in /home/pi/Arduino/hardware I can see all the boards, but if I try to compile I get the following error (see picture in link).

FYI: compiling for an Arduino board works on the other hand..

http://imgur.com/a/GV2gf

User avatar
ahull
Posts: 1672
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:04 pm
Location: Sunny Scotland
Contact:

Re: Install STM32duino on Raspbian?

Post by ahull » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:29 am

Have you installed the relevant compiler to allow you to build for the STM32? I don't have a Pi to test, but I'm sure someone here will know what exactly needs installing.
- Andy Hull -

User avatar
RogerClark
Posts: 7545
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Install STM32duino on Raspbian?

Post by RogerClark » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:54 pm

There is something odd with the board name, as lib maple does not support the nucleo 03

I wonder if you are mixing STMs core with the PR for the LibMaple core ??

GianniDPC
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Install STM32duino on Raspbian?

Post by GianniDPC » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:11 pm

RogerClark wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:54 pm
There is something odd with the board name, as lib maple does not support the nucleo 03

I wonder if you are mixing STMs core with the PR for the LibMaple core ??
Yes, I added the Nucleo F091RC manually, but that doesn't matter because even when leaving it original and compiling for a Maple for example gives me the same result.

User avatar
Rick Kimball
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:26 am
Location: Eastern NC, US
Contact:

Re: Install STM32duino on Raspbian?

Post by Rick Kimball » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Do the Arduino SAM and SAMD boards work?

If so then they will install the arm-none-eabi-gcc/g++ toolchain.

You will probably have to edit your platform.txt file and change the path to point at the sam toolchain. Or... remove the directory portion of the command and make sure you have arm-none-eabi-gcc in your user PATH.

It seems like you are confused about which stm32 core you are using? Are you using the one from ST? or the one from Roger? or something else?
-rick

GianniDPC
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Install STM32duino on Raspbian?

Post by GianniDPC » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:45 pm

Rick Kimball wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:24 pm
Do the Arduino SAM and SAMD boards work?

If so then they will install the arm-none-eabi-gcc/g++ toolchain.

You will probably have to edit your platform.txt file and change the path to point at the sam toolchain. Or... remove the directory portion of the command and make sure you have arm-none-eabi-gcc in your user PATH.

It seems like you are confused about which stm32 core you are using? Are you using the one from ST? or the one from Roger? or something else?
Actually I would like to use this https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32 as it includes my board. And yes you are right I can't seem to compile for SAM and SAMD boards as well.

Can you point out what I specifically need to change? I would appreciate that a lot! :)

User avatar
Rick Kimball
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:26 am
Location: Eastern NC, US
Contact:

Re: Install STM32duino on Raspbian?

Post by Rick Kimball » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:47 pm

First step have you installed the arduino for arm?

https://www.arduino.cc/download_handler ... arm.tar.xz

That should have a board support for the SAMD and SAM
-rick

GianniDPC
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Install STM32duino on Raspbian?

Post by GianniDPC » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:50 pm

Rick Kimball wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:47 pm
First step have you installed the arduino for arm?

https://www.arduino.cc/download_handler ... arm.tar.xz

That should have a board support for the SAMD and SAM
-deleted-
Last edited by GianniDPC on Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply