arduino 1.6.6 aka nightly build

All distros
zmemw16

arduino 1.6.6 aka nightly build

Post by zmemw16 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:42 pm

just thought i'd try arduino.cc nightly aka 1.6.6 after seeing someone using it

playing with micro-sd from hobbytronics, returned to a nano to test it works, ok albeit at SPI_QUARTER_SPEED

so pointed sketchbook to sketchbook_stm32 for Arduino_STM32, compiled for a red/blue pill and got
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino ARM (32-bits) Boards' contains deprecated recipe.c.combine.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.c.elf.cmd}" {compiler.c.elf.flags} -mcpu={build.mcu} "-T{build.variant.path}/{build.ldscript}" "-Wl,-Map,{build.path}/{build.project_name}.map" {compiler.c.elf.extra_flags} -o "{build.path}/{build.project_name}.elf" "-L{build.path}" -mthumb -Wl,--cref -Wl,--check-sections -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,--entry=Reset_Handler -Wl,--unresolved-symbols=report-all -Wl,--warn-common -Wl,--warn-section-align -Wl,--warn-unresolved-symbols -Wl,--start-group "{build.path}/syscalls_sam3.c.o" {object_files} "{build.variant.path}/{build.variant_system_lib}" "{build.path}/{archive_file}" -Wl,--end-group -lm -gcc, automatically converted to recipe.c.combine.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.c.elf.cmd}" {compiler.c.elf.flags} -mcpu={build.mcu} "-T{build.variant.path}/{build.ldscript}" "-Wl,-Map,{build.path}/{build.project_name}.map" {compiler.c.elf.extra_flags} -o "{build.path}/{build.project_name}.elf" "-L{build.path}" -mthumb -Wl,--cref -Wl,--check-sections -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,--entry=Reset_Handler -Wl,--unresolved-symbols=report-all -Wl,--warn-common -Wl,--warn-section-align -Wl,--warn-unresolved-symbols -Wl,--start-group "{build.path}/core/syscalls_sam3.c.o" {object_files} "{build.variant.path}/{build.variant_system_lib}" "{build.path}/{archive_file}" -Wl,--end-group -lm -gcc. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino ARM (32-bits) Boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'STM32 Boards (STM32duino.com)' contains deprecated compiler.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014q1/bin/, automatically converted to compiler.path={runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc.path}/bin/. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'STM32 Boards (STM32duino.com)' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'STM32F3 boards' contains deprecated compiler.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014q1/bin/, automatically converted to compiler.path={runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc.path}/bin/. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'STM32F3 boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'STM32F4 boards' contains deprecated compiler.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014q1/bin/, automatically converted to compiler.path={runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc.path}/bin/. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'STM32F4 boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'GD32 Boards (STM32duino.com)' contains deprecated compiler.path={runtime.ide.path}/hardware/tools/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014q1/bin/, automatically converted to compiler.path={runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc.path}/bin/. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'GD32 Boards (STM32duino.com)' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.
Board Arduino_STM32:STM32F3:discovery_f3 doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: STM32F3_DISCOVERY_F3
Board Arduino_STM32:STM32F4:netduino2plus doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: STM32F4_NETDUINO2PLUS
Board Arduino_STM32:STM32F4:discovery_f407 doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: STM32F4_DISCOVERY_F407
Board Arduino_STM32:STM32F4:stm32f4stamp doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: STM32F4_STM32F4STAMP
Missing 'maintainer' from library in /home/stephen/sketchbook/libraries/ILI9225

Error compiling.
might serve as a heads up?

stephen

RogerClark

Re: arduino 1.6.6 aka nightly build

Post by RogerClark » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:00 am

Thanks

Perhaps they have depricated one of the work around they put in at 1.6.2 (or 1.6.3 etc ... I really cant remember)
i.e the platform.rewrite.keys stuff

But looking at the output you posted it looks like another issue.

Its not exacly clear which bit of the "recipe" that it doesnt like :-(

Also, it could just be that the nightly version is broken.

It may be better just to test in a day or two, and if its still broken to post an issue on GitHub (in Arduino/Arduino)

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:03 am

maybe i'll give it a week and try again.

srp

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:13 am

If I get chance I'll try to download a nighty build at the weekend, and see if I can figure out whats causing the problem.

I think its probably about time to get rid of the plaform.rewrite keys stuff, which is only present to support Arduino 1.5.x, as I'm pretty sure no one is using that version(s) any more, and there is no reason not to use one of the stable 1.6.x verions e.g. 1.6.4

darth_llamah

Post by darth_llamah » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:04 pm

This isn't restricted to Linux.
Here are logs from Library Manager and compilation- portable Arduino 1.6.6 with official and unofficial Arduino_stm32 on Windows 10 x64

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:23 pm

Some of the errors / warnings are because we have the tools folder and examples as part of the repo and the IDE throws errors about this.
(There is a work around for the boards.txt issue by putting in empty boards.txt files)

The other errors I'll need to investigate further.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:26 am

I downloaded 1.6.6 nightly build, and then installed the Due to get the ARM compiler, and Immediatly I get warnings

And when I try to compile an empty sketch for the Due I get these warnings.

Code: Select all

Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino ARM (32-bits) Boards' contains deprecated recipe.c.combine.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.c.elf.cmd}" {compiler.c.elf.flags} -mcpu={build.mcu} "-T{build.variant.path}/{build.ldscript}" "-Wl,-Map,{build.path}/{build.project_name}.map" {compiler.c.elf.extra_flags} -o "{build.path}/{build.project_name}.elf" "-L{build.path}" -mthumb -Wl,--cref -Wl,--check-sections -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,--entry=Reset_Handler -Wl,--unresolved-symbols=report-all -Wl,--warn-common -Wl,--warn-section-align -Wl,--warn-unresolved-symbols -Wl,--start-group "{build.path}/syscalls_sam3.c.o" {object_files} "{build.variant.path}/{build.variant_system_lib}" "{build.path}/{archive_file}" -Wl,--end-group -lm -gcc, automatically converted to recipe.c.combine.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.c.elf.cmd}" {compiler.c.elf.flags} -mcpu={build.mcu} "-T{build.variant.path}/{build.ldscript}" "-Wl,-Map,{build.path}/{build.project_name}.map" {compiler.c.elf.extra_flags} -o "{build.path}/{build.project_name}.elf" "-L{build.path}" -mthumb -Wl,--cref -Wl,--check-sections -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,--entry=Reset_Handler -Wl,--unresolved-symbols=report-all -Wl,--warn-common -Wl,--warn-section-align -Wl,--warn-unresolved-symbols -Wl,--start-group "{build.path}/core/syscalls_sam3.c.o" {object_files} "{build.variant.path}/{build.variant_system_lib}" "{build.path}/{archive_file}" -Wl,--end-group -lm -gcc. Consider upgrading this core.
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino ARM (32-bits) Boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.
WARNING: Category '' in library SPI is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library Wire is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'

Sketch uses 10,660 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 524,288 bytes.
So I think that basically, the currently "Nightly" build is not in a usable state even for official Arduino products

The IDE team will need to fix these warnings for the Due and Zero etc before we have a chance of fixing them for the STM32 (As I need some reference to what actually works)

I did try to compile a blank sketch for the Maple mini, but I get some different errors / warnings. e.g.

Board Arduino_STM32:STM32F3:discovery_f3 doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: STM32F3_DISCOVERY_F3
Board Arduino_STM32:STM32F4:stm32f4stamp doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: STM32F4_STM32F4STAMP
Board Arduino_STM32:STM32F4:netduino2plus doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: STM32F4_NETDUINO2PLUS
Board Arduino_STM32:STM32F4:discovery_f407 doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: STM32F4_DISCOVERY_F407
Missing 'maintainer' from library in C:\Users\rclark\Desktop\arduino-nightly\portable\sketchbook\hardware\Arduino_STM32\STM32F1\libraries\OneWireSTM
But I should be able to fix these.

I also initially got a load of warnings / errors about several of the libraries but it was unclear why this happened.

It looks like the IDE team have generally tightened up their requirements for a lot of things, including libraries.

Edit.

I've created a new issue in GitHub against the Arduino IDE for the initial problem that occurs for the Due.
But I was told the issue was a duplicate from 8 days ago
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/3821

However they have now closed this issue.

So its unclear whats going on.

I can't see why they'd close an issue if its still an outstanding issue.

Watch this space

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:47 am

Edit

I think they are intending to fix this in the next release, as my issue https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/3935
now has these responses to it

ffissore closed this 7 minutes ago
@ffissore ffissore added Component: Core Type: Duplicate Architecture: SAM labels 7 minutes ago
@ffissore ffissore added this to the Release 1.6.6 milestone 7 minutes ago
@cmaglie cmaglie was assigned by ffissore 7 minutes ago
But I'm not sure what "Release 1.6.6 milestone 7" is.

zoomx

Post by zoomx » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:24 am

I believe that 7 is for "7 minutes ago" like the other lines.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:24 am

I'll try downloading again tomorrow and see if its fixed in the nightly build