upgrading to 64 bit - done

All distros
mrburnette

Re: upgrading to 64 bit

Post by mrburnette » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:48 pm

@stephen: the process sounds overly painful. 64-bit Linux Mint 17.3 installed on an old (2008) Acer Aspire and all the necessity drivers for touch, volume, WiFi, etc. were included at installation... the P&P USB 1.1/2.0 ports all work well, WiFi is solid.

Now, on my old Dell 610, I trued several more "steril" Linux installs which did not include proprietary drivers and the notebook was darn near useless until I spent several hours coercing driver installs - too painful for my tastes.

Ray

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:58 pm

@Ray
i've a Dell 6xx laptop as well, solely for its lpt port - got it to use for LinuxCnc.

actually the i5 install was simple, it has a cdrom built in. it's usb ports are either defunct or its like getting 3 numbers on the lottery when they work.
the main problem is no mouse, but the tab key works well. the debian 'graphical' install is nicely behaved in that regard.

my i7 laptop is a big thing to me, messing up my main system would rather annoy me.
real problem is its screen pixel size, also the hdd is a hybrid ssd as well.
obviously i've done it before, but that was quite awhile ago and it's now rather faint.

again no negatives about stm32 have been mentioned, so it'll happen.
maybe after MOTD :D
stephen

darth_llamah

Post by darth_llamah » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:41 am

zmemw16 wrote:pretty sure i'll not need to recompile dfu-utils and will need lib32bit support installed :)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install multiarch-support
and follow Debian's Multiarch how-to

zmemw16

now 64 bit

Post by zmemw16 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:32 pm

pretty much painless, i just installed the root and left off the home partition.
hosts, hosts.allow, host.deny, exports and edit fstab to add home.
i may very well leave the wifi interface out as it always only seems to last about 10-15mins; so i now always switch to lan before i let iceweasel go mad restoring windows.

of course, one thing i forgot - flash! itv and bbc on demands don't work without it :cry:

then all the other bits, istr doing local java installs for cubemx etc.

thanks, multiarch is already installed, i'll peruse that link as well
then it'll be a couple of times through the loop with more of the forgotten ones.

i've noticed that the 'database' eg synaptic are a whole lot quicker and that my Kindle slows quite dramatically when it approaches full. many seconds to switch screens when doing things with collections.

oh arduino gave a no ~/ard165/java/bin/java message, eventually twigged and pulled the 64bit arduino package.
no one mentioned that.
i really do have some cracking 'duh' moments :D

stephen

darth_llamah

Re: now 64 bit

Post by darth_llamah » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:52 pm

zmemw16 wrote:of course, one thing i forgot - flash! itv and bbc on demands don't work without it :cry:
The answear is: freshplayerplugin- this is API wrapper which allows pepperflash plugin (for chromium) to work with mozilla based browsers.
Pepperflash should be in non-free repo or in debian-multimedia

zmemw16

Re: upgrading to 64 bit - done

Post by zmemw16 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:15 pm

i use flashplugin-nonfree as i normally use iceweasel.
searching freshplayerplugin or fresh not found in the standard repositories.
pepperflashplugin-nonfree being added as i type, although i usually use chromium for translating far eastern characters.

now installing chromium
... ... ...

stephen

darth_llamah

Post by darth_llamah » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:35 pm

zmemw16 wrote:now installing chromium
I suggested pepperflash because flashplayer-nonfree is seriously outdated and Adobe will not update it. Which results in constant security warnings in Iceweasel/Firefox.
Freshplayerplugin works without (visible) issues so far.

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:19 pm

i'm sure i'll be installing the odd packages for a while as i discover they're missing ... ...

stephen