Error when running STM32_Programmer_CLI

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
henninb

Error when running STM32_Programmer_CLI

Post by henninb »

Hi, I am running Arch Linux and I am trying to use the STM32_Programmer_CLI, but when I try I get an error (see below). Can some please provide some direction or thoughts. I can connect to the device via the JAVA front end application. My STM32F103C device is connected physically with and FDTI UART. Thank you.

❯ STM32_Programmer_CLI --connect port=SWD
-------------------------------------------------------------------
STM32CubeProgrammer v2.6.0
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Error: No debug probe detected.
by mlundin » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:12 pm
Just as the error message states: The FTDI adapter is not a ( ST-Link ) debug probe.

The FTDI is opened as a serial port on the Linux side and also when connected to the STM32F103C, I assume it is connected to RX and TX pins. So for STM32_Programmer_CLI you must give the serial port on Arch Linux that is opened for the FTDI adapter.

In order to program the chip using he serial interface it must also be in onchip bootloader mode using BOOT0 when it resets.

The SWD connect is used when you connect a ST-Link debug adapter to the SWD pins on the board. In this case the BOO0 is not need, the SWD interface can program the chip without going through the bootloader.

It is possible to use the FTDI as a SWD interface using programs like OpenOCD, and then connect to the SWCLK and SWIO pins on the STM32F103C, but I dont think that STM32_Programmer_CLI, OpenOCD can handle the programming of the chip flash.
Go to full post
mlundin
Answers: 6

Re: Error when running STM32_Programmer_CLI

Post by mlundin »

Just as the error message states: The FTDI adapter is not a ( ST-Link ) debug probe.

The FTDI is opened as a serial port on the Linux side and also when connected to the STM32F103C, I assume it is connected to RX and TX pins. So for STM32_Programmer_CLI you must give the serial port on Arch Linux that is opened for the FTDI adapter.

In order to program the chip using he serial interface it must also be in onchip bootloader mode using BOOT0 when it resets.

The SWD connect is used when you connect a ST-Link debug adapter to the SWD pins on the board. In this case the BOO0 is not need, the SWD interface can program the chip without going through the bootloader.

It is possible to use the FTDI as a SWD interface using programs like OpenOCD, and then connect to the SWCLK and SWIO pins on the STM32F103C, but I dont think that STM32_Programmer_CLI, OpenOCD can handle the programming of the chip flash.
henninb

Re: Error when running STM32_Programmer_CLI

Post by henninb »

Thank you

Return to “General discussion”