USBserial don't works - what's wrong?

stevestrong

Re: USBserial don't works - what's wrong?

Post by stevestrong » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 am

I didn't mind the kernel's log, but the build log output from the IDE.
Last edited by stevestrong on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pito

Post by Pito » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 am

PS. I have ST-link and Eclipse so can debug STM32 - but USB issues are very hard to debug :(
Don't even try to step through the code with a debugger while using USB as Serial. 99% time you will mess with dead everything :)
Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.

vde

Post by vde » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:33 am

Pito wrote:
PS. I have ST-link and Eclipse so can debug STM32 - but USB issues are very hard to debug :(
Don't even try to step through the code with a debugger while using USB as Serial. 99% time you will mess with dead everything :)

You must be kidding! Or just not read a post you answer to?

vde

Post by vde » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:34 am

stevestrong wrote:I didn't mind the kernel's log, but the build log output from the IDE.
Please see on message time sometimes

vde

Post by vde » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:44 am

stevestrong

Post by stevestrong » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:21 pm

As you already figured out, the problem may be caused by the new compiler version 4.9.x.
As temporary solution, try a clean install to downgrade the IDE to 1.6.12, which uses gcc 4.8.3-q4 (I think). Anyway, try to use the gcc 4.8.3.

vde

Post by vde » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:52 pm

stevestrong wrote:As you already figured out, the problem may be caused by the new compiler version 4.9.x.
As temporary solution, try a clean install to downgrade the IDE to 1.6.12, which uses gcc 4.8.3-q4 (I think). Anyway, try to use the gcc 4.8.3.
You see, we are talking about GCC assemblies officially supported by ARM itself. So if the program stops working when changing the version of the compiler - it means a bug in the program.

Moreover, "new" compiler is a 6.1. Previous - 5.4. So 4.9 is a very, very old version!

stevestrong wrote:A IDE to 1.6.12, which uses gcc 4.8.3-q4 (I think)
I can't use Arduino's compiler because this is not the only project on ARM :)

Rick Kimball

Post by Rick Kimball » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:08 pm

vde wrote:... I can't use Arduino's compiler because this is not the only project on ARM :)
The Arduino IDE installs the arm-none-eabi-gcc in the directory $HOME/.arduino15 (at least on linux). You can have the two coexist as the Arduino IDE uses a full path to its location, it won't conflict with other arm-none-eabi-gcc installs.

-rick
-rick

Pito

Post by Pito » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:19 pm

In Win7

Code: Select all

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\4.8.3-2014q1
Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:29 am

vde wrote:
stevestrong wrote:As you already figured out, the problem may be caused by the new compiler version 4.9.x.
You see, we are talking about GCC assemblies officially supported by ARM itself. So if the program stops working when changing the version of the compiler - it means a bug in the program.

Moreover, "new" compiler is a 6.1. Previous - 5.4. So 4.9 is a very, very old version!

stevestrong wrote:A IDE to 1.6.12, which uses gcc 4.8.3-q4 (I think)
I can't use Arduino's compiler because this is not the only project on ARM :)
Could be a bug in the compiler too, that has been carried over since 4.9, given that the people posting in those forums you mentioned may not be using libmaple.
In either case perhaps you can have a look at the resulting code from both compilers and may be able to spot the difference right away. As you said trying to debug USB is not going to be easy, but I think it helps that you can compare a working version with a non-working one both from the exact same source code.
I remember a year ago, when I started working on the original libmaple bootloader to adapt it to generic boards I faced the exact same problem with 4.9, but if I remember right with that version the optimization options made a difference in the code working, but resulted in much bigger code than the 8KB we wanted to fit it in.