Interesting 3D Printing Case for Maple Mini (Baite)

keypunch

Interesting 3D Printing Case for Maple Mini (Baite)

Postby keypunch » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:05 pm

In case nobody has seen the 3D printing case for the Maple Mini I thought I pass it along.

As usual interesting things arise when one is searching for something completely different using specific keywords. Countless times interesting things have appeared in search results for keywords not related is seems. When one tries to find such later using keywords that make sense to the unique item (lost link or forgot to bookmark) or when not handly as mention to someone interested it is amazing how often one cannot find the interesting item. There has to be a reverse polish notation for this "reality" of internet searching.

I was searching for battery PSU related information for use with the Maple Mini in this case. This 3D printing case for the Maple Mini showed up in the first set of results of my search.

Regards,

John L. Males
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
11 November 2016 08:05

stevestrong

Re: Interesting 3D Printing Case for Maple Mini (Baite)

Postby stevestrong » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:01 pm

+1, thanks for sharing!

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:51 pm

The designer of that case is on the forum and posted about it about 6 months or more ago.

Sorry I cant find the link, but I have already tried printing it.

enif

Postby enif » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:49 am

Here is that link ...
... and thanks, keypunch, for the publicity! :-)

keypunch

Postby keypunch » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:45 pm

@Roger Thanks for pointing out the designer is on the forum and there was a post about the 3D case print about 6 months ago. No worries you could not find link at time of your reply. Great to know the forum knew about the Maple Mini 3D printed case. I did not stumble on the forum link in my very unrealted web search to know about prior posting of. I really was hoping I would hear some in the forum knew about the 3D printed case. You confirmed this.

@ enif I am not a PR person! Just the same I would say the Maple Mini Pin Protector 3D printed case deserves promoting. I have read the Maple Mini Pin Protector thread prior to this reply from your reply. Great you had made a Nano Pin Protector case via 3D printing previously. I have a Nano for few weeks now, but it arrived pins soldered on when arrived. I have been waiting for a Nano shield to arrive to allow some experimenting with the Nano that will include comparing a important personal project in terms of Uc processing capability, Flash/RAM requirements and ready made elements availability vs custom (or hacked together).

I have some questions, but will post these with the Maple Mini 3D printed case topic to keep those thoughts in the one topic you started and questions have been posed and commented on. I leave this topic to the "promotion".

Regards,

John L. Males
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
12 November 2016 10:00/10:45
12 November 2016 17:00 Opps, bad typo extra does not make sense in context word removed. jlm

danieleff

Postby danieleff » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:32 am

enif wrote:Here is that link ...
... and thanks, keypunch, for the publicity! :-)

These are pretty cool, especially the lcd and oled boxes. Any tips on how to create one for for example baite mample mini + ili9341 display in one box? What 3D program did you use?

enif

Postby enif » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:57 pm

danieleff wrote:Any tips on how to create one for for example baite mample mini + ili9341 display in one box? What 3D program did you use?

I use OpenScad for all my 3D-work. And the complete OpenScad source is always included in my thingiverse objects.

As for the ili9341 display, I have not used it so far at all. I started with the mono Nokia 5110 and then switched to the color ST7735 display, but that was before getting started with the STM32. Here some examples which include display and Arduino Nano/MiniPro (and LiPo battery where needed) in the same 3D-printed housing (they are not on Thingiverse though, since the electronics are more complex than the housing and the housing alone in not of use to anyone else):
ImageImage
From my experience, intergrating screen and microprocessor in one box is not a big problem, it's more the external connectors and the switches/buttons which always need to be adapted to the individual needs.

Recently I really like to use these tiny I2C OLED displays, since they use much less wiring and also less current. When I did the Maple Mini pin protector, I had actually looked at making an add-on 0.96"-OLED housing that could be stuck onto the upper end of the pin protector housing, by adding a I2C connetor to the upper side which does not have any pins or connectors. Maybe I should look at this again when I get some time...

fredbox

Postby fredbox » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:04 pm

OpenScad is great but has a fairly steep learning curve as you are writing a program to describe the object.

I generally use TinkerCad as it is a visual editor. It also has a learning curve, but it wasn't as steep for me.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:30 pm

+1 for OpenSCad

I use it for most of my 3D designs.

I tried OpenJSCad as well, but as it runs in the browser ( as its Javascript), I find its a bit slow.

For some 2D designs I use Maker.js
http://microsoft.github.io/maker.js/about/

As OpenSCad does not support open splines, which are necessary sometimes when laser cutting or milling

Return to “Maple mini”