A board slightly different from the Blue Pill

Generic boards that are not Maple or Maple mini clones, and don't contain the additional USB reset hardware
aminous

A board slightly different from the Blue Pill

Post by aminous » Fri May 13, 2016 10:38 am

Hi all,

I have bought a board which is very similar to the Blue Pill(STM32F103C8T6). Apparently the only difference is that mine has only one simple Boot0 jumper without High/low options.

My Problem: When I want to upload the compiled code (e.g. Blink), I get the error "Failed to init device". What is(are!) my fault(s)?

Here is some information:

*I use PL-2303(USB/TTL) to upload the code. OS: W7x64
*I think all the drivers are installed(i.e. I've ran the bat file in "Arduino_STM32" and the installers in Maple-DFU and Maple-Serial folders).When the board is connected, the PC does recognize it merely as a serial port (not a DFU device).
*Also I've tried to flash the STM32duino BootLoader using the ST Flash Loader Demonstrator, but unfortunately the software didn't get response from the board.
*I press and hold the reset button for ~3-4 secs before uploading the code.
*Both 5V and 3.3V are tested on the USB-to-serial module.
*First time I connected the board, the code was uploaded successfully BUT nothing happened in the board!

Note: As my board has no high/low Boot0 and Boot1 jumpers (unlike all normal bluepills), I've done all the above measures in two Boot0 jumper states: attached/detached(open circuit)

Bests
Amin

RogerClark

Re: A board slightly different from the Blue Pill

Post by RogerClark » Fri May 13, 2016 10:48 am

If the Flash Loader Demonstrator will not connect, the board my be faulty.

Double check which pins you connected the USB to serial, and that rx goes to tx etc.

Try a lower speed in the Flash loader, also change the timeout to a lower value, as 2 secs is a long time to wait.

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Fri May 13, 2016 2:36 pm

so sorry, but that's a stm32f051c8t6 if i read it correctly :shock:
might even be a CB, compare with the 8 immediately below it on the chip

aliexpress/ebay refund for incorrect goods / bad description ?

WereCatf

Post by WereCatf » Fri May 13, 2016 3:28 pm

zmemw16 wrote:so sorry, but that's a stm32f051c8t6 if i read it correctly :shock:
Yeah, I took a closer look at the picture too and it really does seem to read STM32F051C8T6. A quick Google-search returned the exact same board as in picture with the description "STM32F0 mini" Image

Rick Kimball

Post by Rick Kimball » Fri May 13, 2016 3:35 pm

I don't think those chips even support native USB. The only thing you can do with that USB connector is power the board.
-rick

martinayotte

Post by martinayotte » Fri May 13, 2016 3:40 pm

Effectively, looking at the specs of the chip itself : No USB at all !

aminous

Post by aminous » Fri May 13, 2016 5:43 pm

Firstly thanks to all kind replies..

@Roger: In fact I've checked them many times but unfortunately no change was made.

@Others: You're right guys! This board is armed with a Cortex-M0. (Sorry for any misdescription)

So now a question comes up: Are the [admirable]Roger's hardware files usable to program these boards(i.e. STM32F0XXX series)?
Btw In the Arduino's board manager there is a package (namely, SAMD Boards) which is apparently for Cortex-M0+(not M0).

Amin

WereCatf

Post by WereCatf » Fri May 13, 2016 5:45 pm

aminous wrote:So now a question comes up: Are the [admirable]Roger's hardware files usable to program these boards(i.e. STM32F0XXX series)?
Nope, STM32Duino doesn't support STM32F0 AFAIK.

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:28 pm

how much was it?

it'll program as there is a nucleo version with the break off st-link, they're about £12-£16 on aliexpress.

now baite electronics does do an exceedingly nice set of 5 'maple mini' stm32f103c8t6 for £14-07. i know as i've just looked in my aliexpress basket, that set is almost a permanently resident item.
we know these do work and are of reasonable quality, usb is mini-b not micro (for £2.82 each,£3.50 odd singularly), other sources of similarly named boards are not necessarily so as the song goes. supposedly some are baites having been reworked <not afiliated to anyone or anything excluding the feline btw>

i'm pretty confident others would agree, time for that +1 button.

stephen

aminous

Post by aminous » Fri May 13, 2016 7:11 pm

zmemw16 wrote: how much was it?
Actually I paid in a currency other than dollar/Euro so I think its price won't make sense for you guys in Europe/US/Australia.

I wanted to use this board in our company's devices; As this has a poor documentation and support, I think I'll go for a more popular one(i.e. STM32F103C8T6).
Thanks for your precious information.

@WereCatf Thanks.

Amin