Red Pill or Blue Pill?

Generic boards that are not Maple or Maple mini clones, and don't contain the additional USB reset hardware
Rick Kimball

Re: Red Pill or Blue Pill?

Post by Rick Kimball » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:15 pm

rasmus wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:25 pm
Rick Kimball wrote:I think the SWD pins might be mislabeled. Isn't SWCLK PA14 and SWDIO PA13? They are labeled PC in the pdf file.
Good spot! PDF updated. I used Libre Office Draw by the way.

Cheers
Rasmus
@rasmus I'd like to get the original Libre Office Draw document so I can add Arduino Pin Numbers to it. Is it available?
-rick

aster

Post by aster » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:50 pm

New contender in the war:
STM32F103C8T6, STM32 ARM Cortex-M3 Minimum System Development Board
http://s.aliexpress.com/vyAfIjUB
(from AliExpress Android)

I have an arduino mega ( 2560) from them and it is well made, the price is too high compared to the others boards
Last edited by aster on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:36 am

Interesting

ag123

Post by ag123 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:34 pm

aster wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:50 pm
New contender in the war:
STM32F103C8T6, STM32 ARM Cortex-M3 Minimum System Development Board
http://s.aliexpress.com/vyAfIjUB
(from AliExpress Android)

I have an arduino mega ( 2560) from them and it is well made, the price is too high compared to the others boards
as noted in this thread about somewhat pricy stm32f103 source prices (from st itself)
http://www.stm32duino.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2359
there is this lingering speculation that perhaps even bluepill itself may no longer be as cheap as it used to be at some point

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:23 pm

I have yet to see a significant price hike, and if there is one, GD32 may become the more cost effective option

Rick Kimball

Post by Rick Kimball » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:16 pm

So it has been over 2 years since I first started this thread. The debate over Red Pill vs Blue Pill is over. Sadly, I can't find any place to buy a red pill even though its availability would have saved so many from the pullup resistor headache.

Yesterday, I received an order of 5 Blue Pills recently purchased from ebay. The price is still about the same ~$2USD. The latest ones look exactly like the ones I purchased more than 2 years ago. They still have the wrong resistor on R10, the smallish voltage regulator, and the notch for the four pad usb connector nestled in the notch on the pcb. I still don't see a schematic online that actually represents the board I purchased. This one comes closest, however it shows a 4k7 pullup resistor connected to 5V for PA12/USBD+ The pullup should be 1k5 and connected to 3v3.

All in all still pretty amazing, that we can buy such a powerful ARM chip and thanks to all the effort by people here it is useful with the Arduino IDE. Thanks everyone!
-rick

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:11 pm

I don't know if it's partially because all the work we have done to get Arduino onto the BP, or if it's just because I tend to spot a BP if I see it in a blog post or YouTube video etc, but...
It does seem or be cropping up more and more in videos and blog posts and other articles.

In the last week, 2 posts on Hackaday have used the BP, neither of which were using it with the Arduino IDE.

The week before, I noticed someone using it to replace a cypress chip, to make an open source signal generator , which goes up to 4GHz.

I was contacted a few months ago about doing a special version of the core for the ZumSpot HAM radio system ( just needed a minor flow control change on USB serial )

And the list goes on and on.

stanleyseow

Post by stanleyseow » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:00 pm

I still have 5 pcs of red pill , was planning to make a MMDVM Zumspot digital radio but notice ALL the projects was using the blue pill with carrier PCB made for the blue pill pinouts..

Only until I read this post that I realised that all the red pills are gone from the market..

I will probably use up all the red pill with point to point wiring and move forward to go with the blue pill after that ...
Stanley
9W2SVT / N5SVT

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:46 pm

Rick Kimball wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:16 pm
All in all still pretty amazing, that we can buy such a powerful ARM chip and thanks to all the effort by people here it is useful with the Arduino IDE. Thanks everyone!
It's also amazing that you picked that name to differentiate them, and has pretty much become a brand for the board, even ebay sellers use that name:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STM32F103C8T6-A ... 2145343898

Had you trademarked it, you could be get rich just with royalties and fees :lol:

Rick Kimball

Post by Rick Kimball » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:50 pm

stanleyseow wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:00 pm
I will probably use up all the red pill with point to point wiring and move forward to go with the blue pill after that ...
The red pill and blue pill use the same pinouts. You shouldn't have to do anything. They are completely interchangeable.
-rick