Update Bluepill wiki data

Generic boards that are not Maple or Maple mini clones, and don't contain the additional USB reset hardware
testato

Update Bluepill wiki data

Postby testato » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:15 pm

http://wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?title=Blue_Pill

PLease may you update the wiki and add the fact that many(probably all) C8 Mcu version have 128KB.
You maybe can explain that for this reason you have added a two generic F103C8 board in the core, the 64KB and the 128KB

Thanks

RogerClark

Re: Update Bluepill wiki data

Postby RogerClark » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:35 pm

Anyone can create an account on the wiki and the edit the pages

zmemw16

Postby zmemw16 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:48 pm

st say it is a 64k device.
they seem to use a process yielding 128k.

if you choose to use 128k, it is not a certainty that it works.
it has legal aspects.

stephen

testato

Postby testato » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:23 pm

I updated the Bluepill wiki page, i added the bootloader message output also
@RogerClark do you like it ?

@zmemw16
Seems that all the F103C8 work on 128KB, for now nobody come here for tell that he have a board that do not work on 128KB
Probably it is only a commercial requirement put the C8 in the ST catalogue whit 64KB specification.

There is in fact other ST model that have undocumented Peripheral also, like some MCU whit two Timer on datasheet but instead it have TIM 0,1,2 working

For the people that want use only the 64KB for legal reason on his project, he can use the 64KB upload setting, but it is important that the 128KB upload board setting remain inside the core.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:45 pm

testato wrote:I updated the Bluepill wiki page, i added the bootloader message output also
@RogerClark do you like it ?

@zmemw16
Seems that all the F103C8 work on 128KB, for now nobody come here for tell that he have a board that do not work on 128KB
Probably it is only a commercial requirement put the C8 in the ST catalogue whit 64KB specification.

There is in fact other ST model that have undocumented Peripheral also, like some MCU whit two Timer on datasheet but instead it have TIM 0,1,2 working

For the people that want use only the 64KB for legal reason on his project, he can use the 64KB upload setting, but it is important that the 128KB upload board setting remain inside the core.

Thanks.

I made a very small edit, to add the word "virtually" in front of "all" i. "but virtually all the C8 MCU tested have 128KB of flash instead"
As I think one person had a 64k F103

zmemw16

Postby zmemw16 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:57 am

if i market a product with a 103c8 in it using more than 64k of flash and as a result, someone gets hurt or dies.
just how long do you think it would before the court date for damages?

if i do it solely for myself say to use in a competitive robot and again someone etc.
same question.

if i do it solely for myself and again someone, a relative maybe etc.
same question or maybe not.

if i do it solely for myself and i get hurt, you'll hopefully be able to call yourself some names, mutter some words and fix the 'cause'

it would not be ST in court.
this line remains for all the above if i don't use 64k

stephen

ahull

Postby ahull » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:46 am

zmemw16 wrote:if i market a product with a 103c8 in it using more than 64k of flash and as a result, someone gets hurt or dies.

if i do it solely for myself say to use in a competitive robot and again someone etc.
same question.

if i do it solely for myself and again someone, a relative maybe etc.
same question or maybe not.

if i do it solely for myself and i get hurt, you'll hopefully be able to call yourself some names, mutter some words and fix the 'cause'

it would not be ST in court.
this line remains for all the above if i don't use 64k

stephen

That's what Personal and/or Company Liability insurance is for. If you market *anything* and it explodes/melts/freezes your customer or causes a singularity event and large parts of the planet to implode, the insurance company gets the headache. :lol:
- Andy Hull -

michael_l

Postby michael_l » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:02 am

Code: Select all

This board is known to have a wrong value for the R10 (USB pull-up resistor) on the board. It ships with either a 10K resistor or a 4.7k resistor, but it should be replaced with a 1.5k resistor, or put an appropriate resistor value (e.g 1.8k) in between PA12 and 3.3V, if you want the USB to work properly.

Not sure how a new user would interpret this "USB not working properly" some might think this resistor change is a mandatory thing. I have 103 and USB works so that it is possible to use the device almost normally, i.e. flashing and USB Serial, using Serial.println in the sketch. Only thing is that sometimes I have to press reset button to get sketch uploaded. Also I have to reopen Serial Monitor after flashing.
Last edited by michael_l on Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pito

Postby Pito » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:41 am

if i market a product with a 103c8 in it using more than 64k of flash and as a result, someone gets hurt or dies.

You will be liable, as almost all MCUs (and other components) manufacturers have put a Disclaimer at the end of their Datasheets, saying they are not liable when somebody uses that component for that kind of application..

zmemw16

Postby zmemw16 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:28 pm

and if i add the same disclaimer?
without opening a bag of worms isn't that in the gpl; v2 & v3

re 10K - just lack of reading or understanding on their part?

stephen

Return to “Generic STM32F103”