Generic STM32F103R board not showing up in device manager and serial ports

Generic boards that are not Maple or Maple mini clones, and don't contain the additional USB reset hardware
blahlicus

Generic STM32F103R board not showing up in device manager and serial ports

Post by blahlicus » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Hey, I've recently purchased yet another STM32F103 based board off of taobao (here), I was able to flash the stm32duino generic bootloader from here to the device via an external USB to serial (RS232 cable) device by connecting my power lines to 3.3v and GND, then the data lines to PA9 and PA10.

The device could be programmed either by an external USB to serial device, or by the built-in RS232 one as circled in green below, I've confirmed it by uploading blink sketches via both methods.

But I was unable to get the chip's own USB (circled in red) to work at all, as in, on Windows, a new device does not appear in the "Ports" or "Universal Serial Buss controllers" trees in device manager, not even a new device with the yellow triangle warning message appears.

Just to be clear, the USB port was able to power the device, and the blink sketch that I've previously uploaded via serial still works under USB power, but the host computer cannot talk to the device at all.

I'm quite new to STM32 so I am really at a lost here, could someone help out?

Pito

Re: Generic STM32F103R board not showing up in device manager and serial ports

Post by Pito » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:05 pm

Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.

blahlicus

Post by blahlicus » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:54 am

That didn't work at all, I've ran install_drivers.bat, then plugged in the board, seeing as it didn't work, I also ran install_STM_COM_drivers.bat but it made no difference.

Below is a screenshot of my device manager with the device plugged in, I think I should make it clear, no new devices are detected at all when it is plugged in, there is no "new device is plugged in" notification sound when it is plugged in, it is as if the cable is only giving the board power but nothing else, I also tried several different cables and it made no differences.

stevestrong

Post by stevestrong » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:23 am

The issue is that you are using the "serial" upload method, which does not compile the USB serial, that's why you see no COM port.

Try following:
1. flash the bootloader (over the serial port PA9/10) - BOOT1 set to "1".
2. use the "STM32duino bootloader" method when uploading blink sketch over the red USB port - (BOOT01 jumpers set to "0"). Now you should see COM port.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:37 am

This is the second concurrent thread where people are having an issue with this.

see

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1877

stevestrong

Post by stevestrong » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:01 pm

RogerClark wrote:This is the second concurrent thread where people are having an issue with this.
see
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1877
Yes, and the wiki does contain this info but quite hidden.
This issue should be mentioned within the installation procedure.

blahlicus

Post by blahlicus » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:20 pm

Hey, I don't think that is the issue that you guys are describing, like i said before, the USB seems to literally act like a power cable only, there are no "libusb-win32" devices at all in the device manager, I have already uploaded the bootloader (BOOT1 set to 1) and then tried the USB (BOOT0/1 set to 0) and literally nothing new shows up under device manager, compiling and uploading a blink sketch with "stm32duino bootloader" without selecting any ports yields an error.

For reference, I was able to get my bluepills working as per the instructions on the wiki, they appeared as "unrecognised devices" under device manager before everything was correctly configured but this generic board does not appear as anything at all under device manager.

Pito

Post by Pito » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:24 pm

Then do measure the wiring between the usb socket and the usb pins at the stm32 package.. With an ohmmeter.
And try to get the schematics..
Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:55 pm

that board has very similar looks to a mini_CZ(??) ?
i have vet & zet versions and istr putting or seeing something on the wiki.

could you post top and bottom pictures?
any text to suggest maker or version ?

stephen

stevestrong

Post by stevestrong » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:55 pm

Yes, we need the schematics of the board to see how the red USB connector is wired on the board with the STM32 chip.

Btw, you should flash the bootloader when BOOT0 is set to "1", not BOOT1!
BOOT1 should be always tied to GND.