Support for STM32F103RET6

Generic boards that are not Maple or Maple mini clones, and don't contain the additional USB reset hardware
sherinkapotein

Support for STM32F103RET6

Post by sherinkapotein » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:26 am

As i understand, the 'generic' STM32F103 (the likes of C8T6's ) are the ones most supported by this community.

Now since the STM32F103RET6 also share the same F103 core with a few additional hardware (costing same as some uno clones), will the libraries made for blue/red pills work seamless on RET6 versions also?

Although the wiki lists the RE series as supported but mentions specifically only the Maple RET's and no word on generic clones.

PS: Would also be like to updated if the RET6 has a "true" SDIO (don't know what "true" means in the context, but read a post about the F4s having true SDIO), as my primary attraction towards it is the DAC and SDIO ports.

stevestrong

Re: Support for STM32F103RET6

Post by stevestrong » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:25 am

You are welcome to contribute to the community by developing some of the functions needed by you.

sherinkapotein

Post by sherinkapotein » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:23 pm

stevestrong wrote:You are welcome to contribute to the community by developing some of the functions needed by you.
As much as I'd love to,haven't yet acquired the the skills to do so. Anyways guess that would mean a no. Thanks.

stevestrong

Post by stevestrong » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:44 pm

sherinkapotein wrote: Anyways guess that would mean a no. Thanks.
I wrote what i meant. It did not meant no.
Just that not everyone has such kind of device, most of the people here have the blue pill and/or maple mini (c8 and cb). Ret6 is not common.
Now, how can you expect that your request will be fulfilled?
Furthermore, we here all are doing this in our free time.
Would anyone use the same chip and have basic skills and time to develop, is everytime welcome to contribute.
Anymore question?

sherinkapotein

Post by sherinkapotein » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:46 pm

Now, how can you expect that your request will be fulfilled?
Just read my post a couple of times back and forth and still wonder what made you conclude that it was a request towards something (writing libraries i presume). I am just curious/confused(maybe) and wanted advice, lest I'd get something that couldn't be build upon with my hitherto limited skills.
Furthermore, we here all are doing this in our free time.
There is no contesting the efforts put in by the community here and any open source community for that matter in what they do and I for one would like to express my heartfelt gratitude. Also, since I'm not a professional developer, coder, hardware guy and without formal education in the field or vocational training, the learning process starts top down, rather than bottom up. Towards that, whats better than to seek advice/suggestions from experienced people who have already tread the path and have setup such portals of sharing knowledge.
most of the people here have the blue pill and/or maple mini (c8 and cb). Ret6 is not common.
Which makes me wonder why is it so? Is it the cost factor? I give it, that the pills are "dirt cheap" but the RET6s also are cheap for what they offer(hardware wise) and being based in the same series they probably should be supported by the libraries already developed. Do you now see my source of dilemma ;).
Anymore question?
Yeah still have a few but reckon will now space them out between days :D

PS: Before I'm lampooned for my distaste of starting off with technical manuals, I'd like to state that I by no means undermine their role, all I'm saying is that they aren't what attracts an hobbyist. As a skill cultivates, it is the urge to mature it that'd compel an individual to dwell into the coffers of documentation to piece together what is known . :roll:

ahull

Post by ahull » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:51 am

You might find some useful info on the RET6 in the wiki -> http://wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?ti ... 103_boards
- Andy Hull -

sherinkapotein

Post by sherinkapotein » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:27 am

You might find some useful info on the RET6 in the wiki -> http://wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?ti ... 103_boards
Yeah saw that, that very page was the my source of dilemma as for every other model in the series, beautiful boards have been shown (aliexpress clones from the look of theirs) but for RET6 series the page says and i quote it

STM32F103RE (ARM Cortex-M3 512k Flash, 64k RAM, 64 pin)
Leaflabs Maple RET (supported)

Would that imply the RET clones like the ones here aren't?

That is all I want to confirm from the experienced here before I click the Buy Now and hibernate into month long waiting period :D
Thanks!!

edogaldo

Post by edogaldo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:34 am

sherinkapotein wrote:
Yeah saw that, that very page was the my source of dilemma as for every other model in the series, beautiful boards have been shown (aliexpress clones from the look of theirs) but for RET6 series the page says and i quote it

STM32F103RE (ARM Cortex-M3 512k Flash, 64k RAM, 64 pin)
Leaflabs Maple RET (supported)

Would that imply the RET clones like the ones here aren't?

That is all I want to confirm from the experienced here before I click the Buy Now and hibernate into month long waiting period :D
Thanks!!
Just means nobody having other F103RE boards cared to update the wiki.
For what's worth, all the F103 boards are supported apart for specific features present only in High Density series (i.e. SDIO, etc.)

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:39 pm

If you check the list of boards in the wiki you will see some generic RCT6 and RFT6 I added, because I tested them and work. Roger also has some ZET or VET because I remember discussing the spi3 port with him and we tested spi3 on one of those each of us have.
The RCT6 is the same as the RET6 in terms of peripherals, and because of STM policies, in reality too (same ram and flash, at least in the few I have).
Everything that works in a blue pill should work in the whole series, up to the RGT6 if anyone has it.

As everyone else already said, it's just not the most common. But works. Specific hardware may not be supported, but all that is common is supported.
So all spi ports (even port 3) as the spi library is ready for that, both DMA controllers, all timers, all serial ports.
I added an i2s library, which is specific for those since the 64kb/128kb mcus don't have i2s.
I dont think anyone has worked on sdio, but is low priority even for people using those mcus since the sdfat library works reliably enough.
You should give it a try and see if you can write a library based off the spi library + stm sdio library, even if it's difficult you will learn a lot.
There is some people with those boards, so if you start writting it and need help testing it, I'm sure some people will be able to help testing.
Problem is most people, just as you, is afraid to write a library from scratch. Once someone starts off, more people is able to contribute.

sherinkapotein

Post by sherinkapotein » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:51 am

Thank you. That was exhaustive and enlightening ☺.