Black pill decoupling capacitor

Generic boards that are not Maple or Maple mini clones, and don't contain the additional USB reset hardware
arpruss

Black pill decoupling capacitor

Post by arpruss » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:41 am

The blue pill schematic shows a 10uF capacitor between 3V3 and ground. Do the black pills have them, too? I've had my black pill reset in a project while connecting a device to it, and the resets stopped once I put in a capacitor (at least 4.7uF, but I went with 10uF in the end to be safe) between 3V3 and ground. Does it just need an extra capacitor, or is there no capacitor there?

arpruss

Re: Black pill decoupling capacitor

Post by arpruss » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:37 am

I just saw the schematic for the black pill on the wiki. There are a bunch of 0.1 uF decoupling capacitors, and one or two (hard for me to read the schematic) 1 uF, but for some purposes that's not enough. So if anybody is having trouble with unexpected resets, adding a 10 uF between 3.3V and ground like I did will help.

RogerClark

Re: Black pill decoupling capacitor

Post by RogerClark » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:42 am

Depends which Black Pill you have...

The Robot Dyn version is different to the one in the wiki

Also, all the information in the wiki is unofficial, i.e we found it on the web but it may or may to be correct as manufacturers seem to change designs etc and we don't necessarily notice until something no longer works