The "PinkPill" board - the Reference Design

Generic boards that are not Maple or Maple mini clones, and don't contain the additional USB reset hardware
Pito

The "PinkPill" board - the Reference Design

Post by Pito » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:12 pm

There is a plethora of BluePill-like boards, each of them is lacking something the experts/users from this site consider important (or at least annoying). Moreover, it seems this segment of STM32F103C8 based boards will stay number one in the pop-chart forever.

What about to create a "Reference Design" for a board called "PinkPill" such a proven xxPills mass-manufacturer may produce it (cheap)?
I strongly believe the people here know almost everything about that board thus such a reference design could be created and published fast.
Let us be proactive, instead of waiting a mass-manufacturer creates the "ultimate board" for us soon..

The number of required improvements is small and it must not add more than a few cents to the existing designs.

The topics for example:
=================================
1. USB signalling - ie. a high-side pmosfet + 1k5 resistor
2. USB socket type (mini, micro, 2 pads or 4 pads)
3. RTC 32kHz resonator, capacitors
4. Pin layout improvements (silk markings)
5. PCB size, breadboard friendly
6. Voltage regulator type
7. Diodes for 5V/3.3V power supply isolation
8. Capacitors, Ferrite beads, grounding, de-coupling, de-noising
9. Boot pins required, how to wire them
10. Button(s) type
11. LED resistors values
12. SMD parts - type/size
Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.

Squonk42

Re: The "PinkPill" board - the Reference Design

Post by Squonk42 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:20 pm

Given that the LQFP468 STM32F103C8T6 and the LQFP64 STM32R8T6 are at the same price on TaoBao (~7.50 RMB, shipping within China included), and provided we take care of the STM32F103/STM32F405 compatibility (basically for F103, add USB-pull-up and replace VCAPs by 0R shunts), don't you think we should merge this effort with the other BluePillF4 thread?

Most of these questions have already been addressed there.

And even when sticking to LQFP48 STM32F103C8T6, it won't be too difficult to adapt the F4 board to it, as there is a backward pin compatibility, with smaller footprint.

Ollie

Post by Ollie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:44 pm

I don't prefer to add any more confusion for the F103 family. The "new" Robodyn Black Pill seems to be the winner. The community effort should be for F405 Pill.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:43 pm

Perhaps if we had a working prototype Robot Dyn would be interested in making and selling it.

i.e I think they aim is to have a cheap widely available F4 pill board, but no one is likely to get rich selling a $8 board with 1% profit margin

LightningStalker

Post by LightningStalker » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:38 pm

There should be a board that has the filtering on VDDA, a user LED, separate VBAT, micro USB, and plugs into a breadboard.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:19 pm

LightningStalker wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:38 pm
There should be a board that has the filtering on VDDA, a user LED, separate VBAT, micro USB, and plugs into a breadboard.
See

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2633

ag123

Post by ag123 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:16 pm

not promoting for olimex but it would seem this board from olimex come rather close and in some aspects exceed those specs
https://www.olimex.com/Products/Duino/S ... e-hardware
runs on a stm32f103rb separate ldo for analog / digital, arduino uno headers, uSD card slot on spi2
and can be powered from a lipo battery and has a lipo charger on board
of course the premium is some 20 eur, but i'd think for the right application it is still a pretty good board to have

ot: about that crystal
on my baite MM, if i need the rtc, for the crystal i have gotten into a *bad* habit of soldering a cheap 32k crystal at pc14 and pc15 pins (with no caps), i think that'd make the rtc run a tad too fast. but so far it seem to make less than a minute difference a day and it seemed to have no issues starting up (perhaps depends on luck), and perhaps there are some parasitic capacitance littered around the board etc that somehow made it work

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Do we really need another board in the rainbow?

The STM32F4 seems to be a worthy effort, but no one is ever going to be completely pleased by a community built board, too many compromises. If you really must have a specific configuration, fund it yourself. But for most non-commercial uses, the current series of available boards is sufficient.

We are near the end of 2017 ... progress marches on with new hardware and new Arduino cores. In my view, the Maple Mini clones in all colors satisfies the low-end 32 bit needs much like a the 16 bit Atmegas: UNO, mini, micro.

From a hobby perspective: the STM32F1XX is a nice workhorse but it is just a snapshot in time. It will continue to be a selection in my tool box just like the AVR boards before, but to move forward and stay excited about the IoT movement, new toys are available inexpensively. The dual-core ESP32 comes to mind. I have been playing with this on and off since March and it is a highly-competent device. The associative Arduino core is maturing rapidly and is near prime time. Even with bugs, it has been a fun trip.

My local MicroCenter store sold the Raspberry Pi Zero-W for $5 each all month long, I stocked up on 5 or 6 units and have done a few programs in C++ and this thing is lots of fun. Use a STM32F1XX to manage real-time sensor and data and surface that raw data via the RPi doing the grinding just before the web presentations.

Point is, almost everything Arduino is moving toward a tiered architecture with small, fast uC coupled up to more powerful presentation layers... like the OSI model on steroids! In many respects, this has always been the case but was too expensive for hobbiests, but the price point for full system implementation is dropping quickly and is easily affordable by most hobby budgets. A full IoT project with color LCD touch-screen is now at $20 U.S.D.

What a great time to be alive!