What's the difference - stm32duino makes st-link inoperrable?

Generic boards that are not Maple or Maple mini clones, and don't contain the additional USB reset hardware
mkr

Re: What's the difference - stm32duino makes st-link inoperrable?

Post by mkr » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:45 pm

Thanks for this explanation...
As a newbie had no idea ... Always used Roger's duino and its repo pointed to this forum. Of course I thought about "support" not in commercial mean but on open source projects style terms. But if Roger's core is installed within the IDE then st-link is one of the upload possibilities, so should be "supported" somehow... My problem seems to be problem of this "duino" and I'd like to discuss if the remapping/switching off the JTAG/SWD was intentional and is a good thing. In fact I'm not dsure if this is done only for blue pill, or whether the pins are remapped or freed by switching SWD off... if is it just side-effect or intention. For me it was big surprise and I'd like to know what other users think about it.

Rick Kimball

Post by Rick Kimball » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:27 pm

The original maple boards use a bootloader exclusively. The maple people intentionally made it hard to use the SWD/JTAG pins and made them normal gpio pins. Go look at the pinouts for the maple mini.

We came later with our generic boards and desire to use a debugger.

Now in the Arduino ide, if you select stlink upload the proper define is added to the compile. If you select bootloader it isn't and the swd will be disabled.
-rick

mkr

Post by mkr » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:27 am

Rick Kimball wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:27 pm
The original maple boards use a bootloader exclusively. The maple people intentionally made it hard to use the SWD/JTAG pins and made them normal gpio pins. Go look at the pinouts for the maple mini.

We came later with our generic boards and desire to use a debugger.

Now in the Arduino ide, if you select stlink upload the proper define is added to the compile. If you select bootloader it isn't and the swd will be disabled.
That means everything seems to be under control... Unfortunately had no idea about this logic, and using it outside AIDE had poor chance to have it working. From my point of view would be better not to free all the pins for GPIO on generic boards - they usually have dedicated pins for JTAG/SWD - but all that logic is quite reasonable.

Thanks.

stevestrong

Post by stevestrong » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:07 am

I think this patch addressed the issue which now, using the latest Arduino_STM32 version from Roger, can be considered as being solved.