[SOLVED] USB and Generic STM32F1 board. NOOB questions....

Generic boards that are not Maple or Maple mini clones, and don't contain the additional USB reset hardware
alexandros

[SOLVED] USB and Generic STM32F1 board. NOOB questions....

Post by alexandros » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:09 pm

Hello there guys me and my buddy were building a board with STM32F1 64k MCU , i am making baby steps to learn more about the USB and uploading firmware from USB and such.

our Generic board is a prototype , we added directly
usb- pa11
usb+ pa12
Nothng else into the usb data ports , ofcourse when i connect that into the PC i get a "dont recognise device" message from Windows.
i do not have any BOOT 0 Button or jumper into the board and not even a pull-up resistor of around 1.5k to PA12
PC14 is not used in my board PC12 either
i have a LED in pa2

I am reading about the bootloaders From Roger https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... bootloader
http://wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?ti ... bootloader

and i have some questions. First of all i need to upload the bootloader, the second question is wich bootloader.

My main target is when the user plugs in the USB i want the MCU to recognise that is connected to the PC first of all and Serial the data out of it ,
and from a Windows program to set the board into DFU mode and upload a firwmare.

So I am looking for a guide or something guys , for my particular hardware , any help or comment will be much much apreciated
Last edited by alexandros on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrburnette

Re: USB and Generic STM32F1 board. NOOB questions....

Post by mrburnette » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:29 pm

our Generic board is a prototype , we added directly
usb- pa11
usb+ pa12
Nothng else into the usb data ports ,
It is a bit more complicated to force the PC to enumerate.
I would recommend reading this about the Blue Pill:
http://wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?title=Blue_Pill

Bootloaders are stored here: https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... bootloader

Specifically:
Hardware installation
BluePillUsbResistor.jpg
The USB standard requires a 1.5 kΩ pullup resistor on D+, but this board is known to have a wrong value (R10 on the board). It ships with either a 10 kΩ resistor or a 4.7 kΩ resistor, but it should be replaced with a 1.5 kΩ resistor, or put an appropriate resistor value (e.g 1.8 kΩ) in between PA12 and 3.3V. It is also true that some PCs are tolerant of incorrect value so, before you change the resistance, you can try if it works in your case.
When I used to play around with V-USB, I always used small value series resistors ... like the schematic below:

While some STM32 boards do not utilize the series resistors, they are just a decent safety net to avoid the release of Magic Smoke should something go wrong.

Ray

alexandros

Post by alexandros » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:48 pm

Thanks a lot for your answer i apreciated

suppose i have added the circuit and everything is solid and working good

do you propose to add a BOOT 0 pin?

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:59 pm

alexandros wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:48 pm
Thanks a lot for your answer i apreciated

suppose i have added the circuit and everything is solid and working good

do you propose to add a BOOT 0 pin?
Ah, that's a trick question, is it not?
Seriously, read this: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcont ... boot-pins/
All will be revealed ... :D

Hint for all those not wanting to ferret out the details of a long post:
boot0 and boot1 are sampled on reset, <...>"The values on the BOOT pins are latched on the 4th rising edge of SYSCLK after a reset. It is up to the user to set the BOOT1 and BOOT0 pins after reset to select the required boot mode."

alexandros

Post by alexandros » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:26 pm

My bad ,
seems i made a mistake there is a 1.5k in usb , and everything is Fine.
Further digging ,

I think i made it work....
  • i uploaded the generic_boot20_pb12.bin with st-link ,
  • Install the drivers from Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32-master\drivers\win
  • with the USB attached and now recognised from the PC i Upload from Arduinio ide the BLINK sketch..
Everything worked the board went into DFU (upload method stm32Duino Bootloader) and went into normal mode after reeboot itself.

Now i upload my sketch larger that BLINK sketch :) Uploaded suscesfully

When i tried to Re-upload my project the Arduino IDE got stuck here
maple_loader v0.1
Resetting to bootloader via DTR pulse
Searching for DFU device [1EAF:0003]...

ONLY if i unplug and re-plug the USB the Sketch will be uploaded .. its like cant get reboot...

Only on lighter sketches the upload procedure is smooth like the blink scetch ,
Do i have to add something in my project ?

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:37 pm

I hear similar complaints often, there are lots of suggestions but I have not read of a 100% fix. The slightly more expensive Maple Mini clone seems to have the rest reset circuit but it does not approach 100%. On Linux, I do not seem to have any issues with the Blues or MM. It could just be that the change from DFU to USB enumeration in Windows is a timing issue.

Here is the Google if you wish to research more

Honestly, I think for most people the development on Maple Mini and final burn to Blue is the easy fix... or custom board in your case. I do remember several reset circuits that have been suggested, so maybe you can implement in your own design.

Ray

stevestrong

Post by stevestrong » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:55 pm

In order to reset the STM32 board and go to DFU mode the PC send a magic sequence over USB serial.
So the upload only works if you use Serial (USB serial) in your actually running code.
If you don't have USB serial in your code, the resetting must be done manually (or by un-plug->re-plug the USB cable, or power cycle).

alexandros

Post by alexandros » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:37 pm

stevestrong wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:55 pm
In order to reset the STM32 board and go to DFU mode the PC send a magic sequence over USB serial.
So the upload only works if you use Serial (USB serial) in your actually running code.
If you don't have USB serial in your code, the resetting must be done manually (or by un-plug->re-plug the USB cable, or power cycle).
What do you mean?
like Serial.begin(.... ? i know that Serial is for the USB.. If yes , i already did a Serial.begin(115200) but diidnt work
Sorry for my ignorence

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:32 pm

If you select any of the build options which upload via USB to the bootloader, then USB Serial.begin() is automatically called by the Core even before setup()

You don’t actually need to call Serial.begin yourself, and your call to Serial.begin(xxx) is ignored by the Core because, USB Serial has already been started.

BTW. The baud rate setting in Serial.begin is redundant for USB Serial, because the transfer is not really done in the same way as hardware Serial . The actual data rate is much higher. ( There are various posts on the forum where people have investigated the USB Serial data rate, as it varies depending on the length of the data string you send to Serial.write() )

Getting back to the upload sequence...

The bootloader handles the upload, it’s a separate program that only runs when the processor is rebooted.
After the bootloader has handled the upload, it terminates and frees all its resources ( gives back 3k of RAM it was using)

So to start an upload, the Core has to reboot the processor.

The IDE needs some way to tell the Core that it wants to upload a new sketch ( binary) and the way this is done, is a special sequence of control lines changing and a Magic Number ( sequence of characters) is sent by the IDE via USB Serial to the Core.

The Core constantly checks any incoming USB Serial for this sequence and if its received, the Core reboots the processor

alexandros

Post by alexandros » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:50 am

Very much apreciate your response guys , especially Roger input , thanks guys.

Yes Roger , eveyrything understood ,

Now accroding to this part
The IDE needs some way to tell the Core that it wants to upload a new sketch ( binary) and the way this is done, is a special sequence of control lines changing and a Magic Number ( sequence of characters) is sent by the IDE via USB Serial to the Core.
The Core constantly checks any incoming USB Serial for this sequence and if its received, the Core reboots the processor
With a simple sketch like the Blink project the Core gets the Sequence and Reboots the processor , and the program uploads just perfect.

Now For some reason my project wont get that sequense (have to un-replug) , as soos as the IDE sends the command the project stack , and dont reboot , i have to investigate further maybe a library or something causes the problem.

I have to mention something , i dont know how express that i ll give it a try , in order the IDE to send correctly the sequensy , the skecth have to run inside the void loop() from top to bottom , and not inside a child loop or while() ? if you know what i mean

EDIT: No thats not the case this also reboot and upload just fine

Code: Select all

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(PB9, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  delay(1000);              // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(PB9, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  delay(1000);    

do {  }while (1==1);

}