Review: CZ mini STM32F103VET6 (infos, documents, BL…)

Generic boards that are not Maple or Maple mini clones, and don't contain the additional USB reset hardware
mrburnette

Re: Review: CZ mini STM32F103VET6 (infos, documents, BL…)

Post by mrburnette » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:11 am

madias wrote:Thank you Roger.
Maybe we should give our similar board names?
This board is called "Beauty Betty Blue" :)
All must be reduced to acronyms! Maybe B-cubed? Or, BBB, 3B, or B^3

:lol:

Ray

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:21 am

madias wrote:Roger: Thanks for doing this. It should be equal: PD2 or PC0 for button. I thought you posted a photo of this board. Edit: I was wrong! Victor posted this board. ---> viewtopic.php?f=28&t=103
All I can say is, that this board is really good designed "under the hood" (like 2 diodes for the battery, superb jumper positions...) . For USD10 its a real bargain for all those features.
Edit: Victor: You got exactly the same as mine!
Ahh thanks for the link, I didn't remember posting it. Well, that post shows that mine had the SPI flash and the eeprom soldered.
I think Stephen mentioned some do not. Did yours have those parts soldered?

I am pretty sure I have a compiled bootloader working for that board, because I remember compiling one for a board that gave me 2 options for the led and the button, so must be that one.
I think is a really good value too, but much bigger than I like :( at the end I just use my minis or my $6 RCT boards. Anyway, for $10 it can seat in a drawer until the day I need all those pins, and that day I wont have to wait 3 weeks for the boat to arrive ;)

If you test the eeprom or the flash let me know, I've been really busy lately and have not had time to test any driver, although I'm sure most arduino ones should work out of the box, or almost.

martinayotte

Post by martinayotte » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:20 am

mrburnette wrote: All must be reduced to acronyms! Maybe B-cubed? Or, BBB, 3B, or B^3
Be careful, Ray, BBB is already an acronym for Beagle Board Black, (and since few days, there is BBG for Beagle Board Green) ... :D

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:26 pm

martinayotte wrote: Be careful, Ray, BBB is already an acronym for Beagle Board Black, (and since few days, there is BBG for Beagle Board Green) ... :D
Yea...
... Guess selecting acronyms follow the old adage, "If you snooze, you lose!"
:?

Ray

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:33 pm

mrburnette wrote: Yea...
... Guess selecting acronyms follow the old adage, "If you snooze, you lose!"
:?

Ray
Seems like they do... look at this:
https://sklep.avt.pl/avt1675.html

:o

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:59 pm

victor_pv wrote: Seems like they do... look at this: https://sklep.avt.pl/avt1675.html
:o
"AVTduino"

"The device specially recommended users AVTduino"
That's a new one ("duino") for me... but an interesting board with the onboard Ethernet. The PDF was dated 5/2012

A search of github showed nothing for 'AVTduino', however. Vaporware? (or, maybe intended for the MApleIDE?)

Ray

martinayotte

Post by martinayotte » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:11 pm

mrburnette wrote:but an interesting board with the onboard Ethernet.
I've thought that too, but looking at the PCB in the PDF, it is simply a old generation USB connector. :(

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:11 pm

martinayotte wrote:
mrburnette wrote:but an interesting board with the onboard Ethernet.
I've thought that too, but looking at the PCB in the PDF, it is simply a old generation USB connector. :(
Yeah, I thought the same until I looked at the schematic and saw only 4 pins in that connector :(

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:14 pm

mrburnette wrote: "AVTduino"

"The device specially recommended users AVTduino"
That's a new one ("duino") for me... but an interesting board with the onboard Ethernet. The PDF was dated 5/2012

A search of github showed nothing for 'AVTduino', however. Vaporware? (or, maybe intended for the MApleIDE?)

Ray
Seems that AVTduino is not an IDE or any other software, but just their line of arduino shields:
https://sklep.avt.pl/category/kity-avt- ... u-avtduino

I believe is not intended to even work with Maple. The usb port is connected to an usb-serial converter, so doesn't use DFU, only the rom serial bootloader.
I think their intention is to just provide an STM32F1 board, and users need to find their own IDE and libraries.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:09 pm

victor_pv wrote: I believe is not intended to even work with Maple. The usb port is connected to an usb-serial converter, so doesn't use DFU, only the rom serial bootloader.
I think their intention is to just provide an STM32F1 board, and users need to find their own IDE and libraries.
Well, that explains that! I have filed that into my "do not buy" bit-bucket.

So far, Maple Mini seems to be the perfect fit for the kinds of projects I wish to do; fast, small, capable, and cheap! The larger, more capable STM32 boards while not expensive do not meet the same price/performance ratios; their use (IMO) being driven by need for more I/O and memory (flash/SRAM). Of course, I do not actually do (many) serious projects for use outside my own domain, so I can understand why so many of the $10-ish boards are attractive to others.

I am a big proponent of using multiple uC modules to simplify the architecture: for example, IR communications can have it's own t85. SD card logging around a 328P running at 3.3V and 8MHz. So, I tend to not overly task a single controller board.

Ray