Ethernet for Nucleo (using mbed)

STM32F103 Nucleo boards e.g. STM Nucleo F103RB
KansaiRobot

Ethernet for Nucleo (using mbed)

Post by KansaiRobot » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:37 am

Hello everybody.
This is my first post. I will very much appreciate if anyone can help me or give me advice on the following issue:

I have a STM32F091 Nucleo board. I have so far programmed it using mbed (meaning I haven't installed any toolchain on my pc)
I would like to connect this to the internet, but I learned the Nucleo does not have this capability.

So I bought this Ethernet Shield
http://www.aitendo.com/product/10267 based on the Wiznet w5100 chip.

Now I am seeing different libraries used for this , for example Ethernet, Ethernet interface, WIZ820ioNetIf??? , sockets?? and I have become confused.

So is there a step by step resource somewhere that explains clearly what should I use to make this work using mbed ?? (I read also that I have to connect some SPI pins to the pins of the shield but I understand that already).

(My knowledge of ethernet is limited but I am very willing to learn so any resource on that will be appreciated too :) )

Thanks in advance

stevech

Re: Ethernet for Nucleo (using mbed)

Post by stevech » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:39 am

you might be able to adapt the open source Wiznet ethernet module driver done by PJRC folks for the Teensy 3 - a Cortex ARM but from Freescale. The libraries are of the Arduino philosophy.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:00 pm

I'm not sure if the core works at all with the STM32F091

Did you try running a blink sketch etc ? Does that even work?

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:05 pm

KansaiRobot wrote: <...>
I have a STM32F091 Nucleo board. <...>
I would like to connect this to the internet, but I learned the Nucleo does not have this capability. So I bought this Ethernet Shield
<...>
So is there a step by step resource somewhere that explains clearly what should I use to make this work using mbed ??
<...>
Welcome @KansaiRobot to STM32duino where "duino" means the ArduinoGUI currently based on Java installed onto the workstation. We have no mbed instructions.

Our hardware compatibility list is vast and growing, but out recommended base-module for entry is the $4 Maple Mini clone from China, an STM32F103xx device. We do support many Nucleo boards to some degree, but all hardware require a rather large toolset installation.

Regards,

Ray

KansaiRobot

Post by KansaiRobot » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:19 am

RogerClark wrote:I'm not sure if the core works at all with the STM32F091

Thanks for the reply. I am not really sure what you mean by "the core" but if you are asking if I have done programs that do blinks etc on the board with mbed, yes I have. I did the blink thing (fairly simple) and the last one i did was controlling a text LCD with it. I have done SPI communication as well. (used the second module -the morph one- becuase the pins of the first one were busy)

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:12 pm

KansaiRobot wrote:
RogerClark wrote:I'm not sure if the core works at all with the STM32F091

Thanks for the reply. I am not really sure what you mean by "the core" but if you are asking if I have done programs that do blinks etc on the board with mbed, yes I have. I did the blink thing (fairly simple) and the last one i did was controlling a text LCD with it. I have done SPI communication as well. (used the second module -the morph one- becuase the pins of the first one were busy)
The "core": From this link on github, the directories:
GD32F1
STM32F1
STM32F3
STM32F4
are "core"files. Within each directory is function code (monolithic in structure) that enables each uC model to perform under the Arduino command set, based on C/C++ with a little inline assembly.

I believe Roger was asking you if you installed the Arduino IDE, the STM32duino core files, and then used the IDE to compile and link and download to your board the official "blink" example for the STM32?

You will note that no mbed is mentioned as STM32duino cores and mbed have nothing in common other than the target uC.

Ray