Couple of newcomer questions

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
petr

Re: Couple of newcomer questions

Postby petr » Fri May 19, 2017 10:37 am

You talk about USB branch, but "libarra" talks about "his repo":
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=576&start=120#p28041

I was asking if you'd include "libarra"'s improvements in your USB HID branch (it's actually called addMidiHID, if I am not mistaken).

Just making sure you've noticed that he seems to solved the composite issue. Frankly, I don't know where "his repo" is so I haven't checked myself. I just thought it would be a pity if some progress with USB on STM32 got "lost".

aster

Postby aster » Fri May 19, 2017 1:32 pm

I see that from the 2015 the newcomers questions didn t changed, when i arrived here i did exactly the same questions. Maybe you could add a faq page to the wiki

The only information i didn t see here (that solved my problem of reset during the upload under ubuntu) was to increment the reset time

"${DIR}/upload-reset" ${dummy_port_fullpath} 1500

stevestrong

Postby stevestrong » Fri May 19, 2017 1:36 pm

"newcomer" == "cannot use the forum search function"

aster

Postby aster » Fri May 19, 2017 4:44 pm

stevestrong wrote:"newcomer" == "cannot use the forum search function"

I partially agree, but immagine to be a newcomer that arrive in this tread and get crazy trying to understand this digression about the best way to update the bootloader on a chip that he barely knows

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Fri May 19, 2017 9:39 pm

petr wrote:You talk about USB branch, but "libarra" talks about "his repo":
http://stm32duino.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 120#p28041

I was asking if you'd include "libarra"'s improvements in your USB HID branch (it's actually called addMidiHID, if I am not mistaken).

If someone submits a PR with those changes, it can be included into that branch.

I am afraid I dont have time to manually copy the changes in myself.

petr

Bootloader updating from external flash

Postby petr » Fri May 26, 2017 7:12 am

I looked at the bootloader code, it seems clear to me. I have a code reading from external flash in a .ino sketch. It's using SPI, naturally. Now I'd like to hear your suggestion how to include the flash reading code in bootloader in the most space efficient way: do you think it's better to initialize the SPI HW (I haven't looked into SPI.cpp yet to see what is required for that) or is it OK to use bit banging (software SPI) instead? Speed of the transfer is not an issue... but I thought it would be great if I managed to squeeze my additions into 1052 bytes so the OTA-update enhanced bootloader would still fit into 8 kB.

stevestrong

Postby stevestrong » Fri May 26, 2017 7:36 am

petr, I think this question should be posted elsewhere.

petr

Postby petr » Fri May 26, 2017 8:02 am

It's actually direct continuation of two year old thread but if you think a new thread is more appropriate I'll happily create one.

stevestrong

Postby stevestrong » Fri May 26, 2017 8:39 am

petr, sorry, I just saw that USB HID is mixed with OTA and didn't realize that this is about OTA.
The name of this thread is at least confusing.

Regarding the SPI for loading the update, I would take the software SPI version instead of the HW SPI, because it would fit into less code space. And the bit-banding can also be done pretty fast using direct register accesses.

Return to “General discussion”