Lecture on firmware patching STM32 binaries

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
RogerClark

Lecture on firmware patching STM32 binaries

Post by RogerClark » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:16 am

Guys,

I thought some of your may be interested in this video I came across on YouTube, which describes methods to patching existing STM32 firmware to add new features and fix bugs in the manufacturers original code

The first 3 minutes can be skipped as it covers an overview of the STM32 based radio transceiver which was patched.

The latter part of the lecture has some interesting stuff about understanding the code disassembled , e.g. why the disassembler can have chunks of code between the functions which is code not data, but does not seem to be called by the rest of the binary.

There is some interesting stuff about finding markers in the code so that if you make a patch for one version of the firmware, how you can leverage that to patch when a new version comes out, and also how to find portions of RAM that are not used by the firmware (so you can use them for your own variables)

Of course this presupposed that you have a copy of the firmware, which from what I understand, that Travis got almost by accident as the internal firmware sent back its first 48k of flash while he was testing a program he wrote to read and write the Settings data in the radio (which are also stored in the main flash)

ag123

Re: Lecture on firmware patching STM32 binaries

Post by ag123 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:14 pm

interesting ! :)

BennehBoy

Re: Lecture on firmware patching STM32 binaries

Post by BennehBoy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Some people are frighteningly clever.
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy