Serial buffer

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
krishna

Re: Serial buffer

Post by krishna » Wed May 04, 2016 10:52 am

WereCatf wrote :
Now, the bigger issue here is that you haven't explained what you're reading from the serial-port, or what you're planning on doing with it -- there are most likely better ways of going about this in the first place
I am just trying to read GPS data.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed May 04, 2016 11:01 am

There are plenty of examples of reading GPS Data

Have you tried the one on the Arduino site

http://playground.arduino.cc/Tutorials/GPS

It looks like it uses a 300 character buffer, into which it reads the GPS chars, until it finds an end marker in which case it processes the data.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Wed May 04, 2016 11:45 am

krishna wrote:
WereCatf wrote :
Now, the bigger issue here is that you haven't explained what you're reading from the serial-port, or what you're planning on doing with it -- there are most likely better ways of going about this in the first place
I am just trying to read GPS data.
I wished you had said so in first post. I have many examples: https://www.hackster.io/rayburne/projects In one example above, I use Adafruit's GPS library, somewhat hacked :shock:
In one example, the PSoC one, I use my own code to parse the GPS in realtime

This is basic stuff and there are 100's of examples on the Internet. When confronted with a programming problem, go and search for what others have done, pick a couple of good examples of what you want to accomplish, and then dig into the code to understand how someone else used logic to develop a solution. Then, build your own skeleton code, experiment to get the basic functionality, then elaborate and pretty things up if you are so inclined.

Added:
Full code here for Maple Mini
The Adafruit_GPS library double-buffers the GPS serial signal and also inherits from the Serial object, essentially adding methods that makes using the GPS very simple. Object instantiation is like this: Adafruit_GPS GPS(&mySerial);
Then, in the loop() section of the code, the GPS buffer is checked to see if data is waiting, like this:

Code: Select all

SoftwareSerial mySerial(0, 1);
Adafruit_GPS GPS(&mySerial);
//....

void loop()  {
  char c = GPS.read();                                            // read data from the GPS and check for full sentence
  if (GPS.newNMEAreceived()) {
    if (!GPS.parse(GPS.lastNMEA()));                              // sets the newNMEAreceived() flag
  }
Ray

removed code, the entire non-library-based inline parsing code is here for the PSoC 4200 which is easily converted to Arduino'ish syntax.

bluesystems

Post by bluesystems » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:53 pm

I note that on the STM32F103 the serial buffer size does not seem to be pulled from HardwareSerial.h.
It HardwareSerial.h is edited from 64 bytes to 128 there is no change in the serial port's buffer size.

I changed
C:\Users\johnston\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32-master\STM32F1\cores\maple\HardwareSerial.h
//#define SERIAL_TX_BUFFER_SIZE 64
//#define SERIAL_RX_BUFFER_SIZE 64
#define SERIAL_TX_BUFFER_SIZE 128
#define SERIAL_RX_BUFFER_SIZE 128

and ran this code with TX and RX pins looped back (joined)
void loop()
{
delay(100);
Serial1.print("A");
Serial.print(a); Serial.println(" Number of bytes sent"); // char number to dbg
a=a+1;
Serial.print("Number of bytes to read : "); Serial.println(Serial1.available(),DEC);
}
No matter what the buffer size is set to, Serial.println(Serial1.available(),DEC) climbs to 63 and stops, showing the buffer is 63 bytes, the default value.

I am missing some thing here or is the buffer pulled from some other file?
Bob J.

bluesystems

Post by bluesystems » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:35 pm

After doing some digging it become clear the uart buffer sizes in pulled from

C:\Users\johnston\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32-master\STM32F1\system\libmaple\include\libmaple\usart.h

Changing the file as follows...
/*
* Devices
*/

#ifndef USART_RX_BUF_SIZE
//#define USART_RX_BUF_SIZE 64
#define USART_RX_BUF_SIZE 512
#endif

#ifndef USART_TX_BUF_SIZE
//#define USART_TX_BUF_SIZE 64
#define USART_TX_BUF_SIZE 128
#endif

Changes the buffer sizes in usart.h results in the serial port buffer growing to the newly defined sizes.
This is good news for me as in several of my IoT application where I need to be ready at all times to receive a buffer load of data of about 300 bytes from a WEB browser while off busy dealing with some very slow sensors.
No way to control when someone clicks on that WEB link dumping data on me and the sensors are real time sensitive so always pollling for serial data everywhere in the code would be very messy at best and unworkable at worst.
Yes this uses a lot more memory but as the STM32 starts with 20K, that is fine by me.
Bob