HELP! ST-Link message "UR connection mode is defined with the HWrst reset mode"

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
dipr

HELP! ST-Link message "UR connection mode is defined with the HWrst reset mode"

Post by dipr »

ST_link V2 is setup, latest Firmware flashed, but I still get just the weird message "UR connection mode is defined with the HWrst reset mode" when trying to connect, google is almost empty for the search phrase.

This message happens when
- the WeAct dummy pgm is running after a reset,
- as well as after entering the WeAct bootloader (by holding down key for 3 seconds)
- as well as after eintering STM ROM Bootloader (by holding down BOOT0 while hitting reset)

What am I doing wrong here ?

ST-Link connect error
ST-Link connect error
st-link_error.png (60.88 KiB) Viewed 15424 times
Edit:
I've connected the 4-pin header of WeAct to the corresponding pins on hte ST_Link.
GonzoG
Answers: 26

Re: HELP! ST-Link message "UR connection mode is defined with the HWrst reset mode"

Post by GonzoG »

You might need to connect reset pin also.
dannyf

Re: HELP! ST-Link message "UR connection mode is defined with the HWrst reset mode"

Post by dannyf »

What am I doing wrong here ?
looks like the system detected the stlink, but stlink did not detect the device -> the lower right corner of your capture has blanks for device, ...

ST has a standalone programmer that will show more details, and if you have access to Keil MDK, it shows more info on the stlink programmer as well as the target.
dipr

Post by dipr »

But whgat does the message say? I've no idea what a "UR connection" and what the HWrst (HerdWare Reset?) mode is.
"is defined" where?

I want the "hot debug mode", e.g. program is running on the chip, and w/o any reset
I'd like to "attach" to the running chip, watch / stop / continue executiong etc.

How do I setup the st-link and the CubeProgrammer to achieve that?
dipr

Post by dipr »

So has anyone got an idea what the encountered error message actually wants to tell me ?
Luczia

Post by Luczia »

I have the same issue, using a chinese clone of a Dongle ST-Link v2.
I can't figure out where it comes from, but interestingly, using the same cable , STM32 Programmer parameters and custom board I can connect using a dongle and not the other.

The working Dongle has a Serial number with several digits while the defective ST-Link has only one serial nubmer : 9.
So I would say that it comes from a hardware difference between 2 ST-Link dongle. May be a defective ST-Link v2 knockout or a corrupted firmware on the ST-Link? Nevertheless, I can update the ST-Link through ST-Link utility without any issue. :roll:

Any other idea would be appreciated.
FlunkedFleece

Post by FlunkedFleece »

I got the same problem. The ST-Link serial number shown was a single character long and displayed "UR connection mode is defined with the HWst reset mode" when I pressed connect.

The fix that worked for me:
1) In the "ST-LINK configuration" on the right. Set the "Shared" element to "Enabled".
2) Then press the small refresh button next to the "Serial number".
3) A new longer serial number should appear.
4) Press connect and it should display a connect message

Hope this helps :)
tomertou

Post by tomertou »

These steps didnt work for me. anything else you might suggest?
ishibashi@techta.jp

Post by ishibashi@techta.jp »

I found the solution.
Push select "Enabled" on the "Shared" List.
Next refresh the serial number.
Then serial number would be changed, long number.
After that, you can connect the ST-Link.
manolo88

Post by manolo88 »

If I put Shared to enable, At serial number appears no ST link detected when i click on refresh.

Some ideas???

Return to “General discussion”