My maple mini let go of the magic black smoke...

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
victor_pv

My maple mini let go of the magic black smoke...

Post by victor_pv » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:06 am

Today when I was going to try a modified bootloader, my maple mini started acting up, before I even could upload it.
Then I decided to connect it to my stlink and reprogram the last bootloader that I had loaded to it, and while doing so the boards touched, and I saw the "magic black smoke" coming our of my maple.
It was a very quick short somewhere, the MCU still gets detected by St-Link, and even writes and verifies the code successfully, but doesn't turn on the led properly any more, neither gets detected even as a DFU device.
I think it died an honorable death, helping me learn about the ARM, C++, bootloader...

Now I have to wait until some of the others I ordered from different vendors arrive. One was supposedly shipped almost 2 months ago...
I'm sure my wife wont mind if they take a while to arrive though... ;)

madias

Re: My maple mini let go of the magic black smoke...

Post by madias » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:53 am

Roger: Please create a new section in this forum:
"graveyard" - holy black smoke - or how I got my STM32 into heaven?
I always think after seeing my "working desk", that I'm lucky not to smoke any module... (ok, I smoked about 3 litihium ion charger, they smell 3 days after death!)

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:20 am

Victor.

Sorry, that the Magic Smoke escaped.

It reminds me.

I've been accidentally powering my STM32F103ZET board from 5V onto its 3V pin, but it seemed to survive

However I'd not recommend this to anyone.

It happened because my USB to Serial boards have both 5V and 3V output, and I swapped from using one USB serial to another, but one was had wires connected to the 3.3V output from the USB to Serial, and the other had the power wire connected to 5V

I wondered why the LED's were so bright!!!

Anyway, fortunately (and strangely) no harm done.

madias

Post by madias » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:28 am

little trick:
I ALWAYS use red jumper cables for 5V and orange ones for 3.3V. I learned to separate voltage lines while building an analogue synthesizer and working with +-15V (=30V) and AVR's (5V) so any mistake had gone up in holy smoke...

ahull

Post by ahull » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:47 pm

:D Sounds familiar. I also blew up a board recently, still not sure quite how. It was a LiPo charger board, one second it was charging away fine, the next a tiny little stream of grey smoke... it looked oddly like a fine grey needle emerging from the charger chip, until it hit the more turbulent air a few inches above the board. I did a double take for a moment, not quite sure what I was seeing. The very distinctive smell soon re-synched the mental cogs.

I also purchased two cheap DAC board, one of which had been kindly pre-smoked by the Chinese vendor :cry: I picked up the smell the moment I took it out of the antistatic bag. Needless to say it didn't DAC. The other board worked perfectly.
- Andy Hull -

madias

Post by madias » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:00 pm

Joking aside: This cheap lipo charger modules are dangerous, because if you (or me) didn't recognized it in this moment, the module would be set on fire. I ordered some who are more expensive ( with protection) and give them a try. I don't wanna built this sleeping firework into the mp3 player for my daughter (made of wooden, see "projects").

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:41 pm

RogerClark wrote:Victor.
Anyway, fortunately (and strangely) no harm done.
... and that may not be reality.
I have found that I overloaded two I/O pins while using them as switchable Vcc & Gnd. The clue was the current display on the VPS. I corrected my problem and now find that while I can source from both pins easily, I cannot sink properly... so, I lost the CMOS drivers to ground. A bit of white Nail Polish now adorns the top header to indicate the issue. Otherwise, the board works properly and is currently driving a 2.2" GLCD.

My personal policy: Always buy 2 of anything cheap enough that I will not miss the money the next week. It will keep your experiments and projects going and going like the rabbit batteries.

Ray

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:05 pm

I found the 1117 in my maple clone was the one that had given up, so I replaced it, and get the bootloader working, but I can not run any sketch, which was exactly what happened right before I decided to connect to St-link and let go of the magic smoke...
So even though I have a working CPU, I think the flash memory is giving up...
I'll try to write a couple of different patterns to all the flash and verify it with st-link, and see if it is just 1 bad page that I need to discard, and extend the life of this thing...
In any case for $4, I think surviving many uploads a days for two months was a fair price ;)

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:09 pm

Victor

If its just a bit if the flash that us trashed, you could quite easily change the start offset, but you'd need to change the linker script and the boards.txt and if you are using a bootloader, you'd need to change that as well.

It's a shame we can't pass the build vector, i.e the start address into the linker script, but it seems that the gcc linker doesn't support variables or substitution in the MEMORY definition blocks.
I.e I managed to get everything else working, passing the define for the start location to the linker via the gcc compiler ( there is some strange trick you need to do, to pass defines from gcc to gcc.ld)

If love to be proved wrong and for someone to find a way of doing variable substitution in the linker scripts, as it would mean , we would not need loads of separate scripts for the generic boards, but I ran out if time to get it working and I did seem to reach a dead end with it.

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Fri May 01, 2015 7:05 pm

Roger, I think there is something else wrong with my MCU than the flash. I have tested my flash seems to be good, i have even flashed a sketch to the start address in case flashing with the bootloader failed, it did not fail apparently, I can verify it with st-link and find no differences, but after the bootloader is supposed to pass control to the sketch, it does not happen for some reason.
Could be the USB re-enumeration, but I don't think is that either. Some times it detects the maple serial correctly, ID 1eaf, other times it detects it as 0e0f and does not load the driver. It could be that the flash reads and writes correctly thru ST-Link, that goes at about 2Mbit, but not when the MCU is trying to run at full speed. I have tested even the blink example, and would not blink. I may try later compiling a bootloader to upload in the top 64KB of flash, and start going down from there, with a new entry in boards.txt and a new linker script just for that.

So far I have gone back in bootloader versions to the first one Madias posted, which I had used for days without problems before, uploading to 5000. it uploads, but the sketch will not run :( st-link shows the upload is there, and the first 4 bytes contain the correct SP vector.

During my troubleshooting I did notice something strange. I went to my Temp folder, after compiling, and then the latest Buildxxxx folder created. I see all the usual files there, but the .bin files, and i have checked even some I compiled weeks ago, all of them have a chunk of nonsense data at the end, with thinks like the path to my arduino folders and things like that.
Have you noticed that before?
What called my attention is that I was uploading some sketch that would take 15KB or so, and I went to find the .bin file to upload it with st-link, and found the bin was 20KB, checked the content, and found that chunk or extra data at the end.