STM's New "Low Level" API in STM32Cube ??

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
RogerClark

STM's New "Low Level" API in STM32Cube ??

Post by RogerClark » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:23 am

ST seem to have created a light weight API in addition to the HAL ....
STM32Cube low-layer (LL) APIs, a light-weight, optimized, expert-oriented set of APIs designed for both performance and runtime efficiency, are now fully deployed across all existing STM32 series. Usable in standalone or in parallel with STM32Cube HALs (with a few restrictions), they also offer an easy migration path from the STM32 standard peripheral libraries, and it has never been easier to migrate old SPL projects into the Cube environment
http://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/ ... tId=LN1897

They have a video,

I guess there must be some discussion on their own forums about why STM have created this API

I presume it was commercial developers complaining that the HAL was too bug and clumsy

zmemw16

Re: STM's New "Low Level" API in STM32Cube ??

Post by zmemw16 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:37 am

blurb references cubemx as 4.22.1
mine with update checks still says 4.22 is current.
waiting ... ..
stephen

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:22 am

I tried updating my version, but it only got to 4.22

I didn't watch the video all the way though, so I don't know how you export a template using the Low Level API's

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:43 am

really quick skim, they show how to merge section from ll example and its higher equivalent over to a different board.
i didn't see much else, single led blink, then a tripe led blinky.
there is a how to port ll drivers/code video, it did download & i may get a chance to skim that one.
the st play list has 5 or 6 videos from assorted event fairs, a number of intros and a few examples
the link i get from different videos is the same though, something ccl & youtube-dl don't like :(

stephen

dannyf

Post by dannyf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:16 am

I never understood their love for constantly investing in different libraries.

I'm a big fan of spl. It is reasonably structured, with workable documentation and a high degree of similarity from family to family. The bad rep they got on spl in my view is mostly from people who don't know how modern day mcu coding is all about. Those people wouldn't have been big users of those chips.

Instead of refining spl, they abandoned it and moved to Hal, only to see commercial customers pausing at this whole thing. Spl is very easy to be incorporated into the work flow of a large corporation - often done with a middle layer . Hal on the other hand is more appropriate for a one off project as it's incorporation is much harder.

The backlash on Hal I think prompted LL.

The issue this whole thing creates is that people don't want to invest in those libraries knowing St propensity to switch. Each switch means negating of your middleware and your investment.

Personally I have developed nothing under Hal and will unlikely develop anything under LL, unless I see a reasonable runway for LL.

I hope St learns a thing or two from the whole fiasco.

stevestrong

Post by stevestrong » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:34 am

dannyf wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:16 am
Personally I have developed nothing under Hal and will unlikely develop anything under LL, unless I see a reasonable runway for LL.
Exactly my thoughts.

Vassilis

Post by Vassilis » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Today I downloaded and installed the STM32CubeMX 4.22.1 from here ( go to the bottom of the web page)
stm32cubemx_4.22.1.JPG
stm32cubemx_4.22.1.JPG (87.3 KiB) Viewed 427 times

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:18 pm

i forced CubeMX to recheck for updates, so off it went and downloaded 300+MB.
to complete the process you now need to re-run CubeMX with administrator rights,
ok linux box, xhost +, su +export DISPLAY=:0.0, and ./CubeMX
off it goes again 300+MB, bla bla
back to me again
new libraries to be installed, off it went for a couple more files, these are 600+MB

now that brought to mind, when did linux distributions go past 700+??MB single cdrom ?
not a redhat, mandrake or debian with umteen extra ones for the software, ok so everything absolutely needed was on
a single or the first cdrom.

i remember downloading single a cdrom at 57.6 kps, i used have something running to bring up the link each time my provider killed the session, stopping before i went off to work at 6am, me restarting the link at 6pm when the no charge time started.
a dvd took most of the week :cry:

mind you, i was glad when Compuserve died off ! 300/1200/2400 baud

stephen