Power LED questions

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
ahull

Re: Power LED questions

Post by ahull » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:56 pm

MarkB wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:20 pm
arpruss wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:26 pm
How about my thought about just taking flush cutters and cutting the LED in half? That shouldn't lead to any problems? (I've done it in the past with a Digispark LED, but some time later the Digispark blew. Presumably unrelated.)
This would put a large mechanical load on the printed circuit traces, potentially causing them to separate from the board. If the LED is at the end of the traces, that might not matter.

The previous suggestion of removing the resistor with a soldering iron is preferable. One should be able to heat up both ends of the part until the solder melts and flip the part off the pads.
+1
Agreed. I wouldn't take the risk. The traces on these boards are pretty fine, and the quality of the PCB material is unknown. If it were my call, I'd dab the resistor or LED off with a fine pointed soldering iron rather than risk damaging the board.

Removing the LED or resistor is relatively easy, compare with repairing the board, in fact if you want to make life even easier, dab a little flux on top of the component before hitting it with the iron.

If you pull off the traces, the board is probably for the bin, since a new board is only a couple of bucks, and that equates to about five minutes of my time. Repairing the board, assuming it were possible is going to cause more grief than its worth.
- Andy Hull -