ST-Link Vs Jlink

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
Slammer

Re: ST-Link Vs Jlink

Post by Slammer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:59 pm

Original JLink is not a toy... costs about 300$ for basic version and 500$ for Plus, it is unfair to compare it with the ST-Link. Actually ST-Link is an ISP interface with some debugging abilities and JLink is a professional JTAG.

Rick Kimball

Post by Rick Kimball » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:10 pm

When you say it isn't toy .. what makes it not a toy? I get the feeling the Segger guys have been making an extreme profit for a long time because there wasn't any low cost alternatives. Their willingness recently to offer a low cost version seems to not because they care, but because they are getting price pressure for the BMP, ST-Link, and CMSIS providers.

I tried switching my st-link to a j-link. I really didn't see any advantage.

* I should say I'm biased to the BMP software, I converted my stm32f100 value line ST-LInk V1 to be BMP and I'm extremely happy
-rick

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:12 pm

With JLink you are also playing for JFlash and the large suite of tools which support thousands of processors.
STLink is only designed to program ST devices (but can program others if you use Open OCD) , hence it just has a simple windows GUI and command line exe

Note. STLink on some Nucleo boards also has USB to Serial, and I think some have USB Mass storage as well

I only use JLink occasionally because of JFlash, which makes it convenient to read and write binaries and modify the flash etc

Rick Kimball

Post by Rick Kimball » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:18 pm

RogerClark wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:12 pm
Note. STLink on some Nucleo boards also has USB to Serial, and I think some have USB Mass storage as well
Every NUCLEO supports the USB Mass Storage program load. This is seriously underrated by the crowd here. It allows you to flash the target MCU without any custom host side software. You just drag and drop the binary and it loads onto the target. This is a huge advantage. It allows you to use any device that can deal with USB Mass Storage, be it a raspberry pi, a tablet or os/x computer without having to worry about custom drivers.

Also underatted, is that the NUCLEO devices provide a Virtual COM device. So you don't have to use native USB if you don't want to, you can just connect to PA9/PA10 USART serial.
-rick

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Rick

I did investigate whether it would be possible to make a USB mass storage bootloader but I think the overhead of the file system, made it quite large

Drive letter on Windows can also be a problem for automating the USB Mass storage, as the IDE does have a dropdown to select mass storage drive for upload.
I think there is a workaround for the drive letter on Windows, but using one of Windows on built in command line utils, I presume Linux etc has the same

BTW.

I'm not contesting that JLink is vastly over priced, even including that it comes with JLink etc, as they can't now be spending very much to keep things updated, and the development costs must gave been recovered years ago.

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:41 pm

Rick Kimball wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:10 pm
When you say it isn't toy .. what makes it not a toy?
The price, I think.... I totally agree with you about the pricing policy of JLink.
I am also using BMP with Eclipse and gdb and it is OK.