Password storage on a BluePill

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
RogerClark

Re: Password storage on a BluePill

Post by RogerClark » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:14 pm

Ray

Morse code input did cross my mine, as it’s something I can personally send and receive; though I am a bit rusty and suspect I could only receive at perhaps 5 words one minute.

Originally to get my ham radio license I had to send and receive at 12 words per minute, but that was many years ago

Pito

Post by Pito » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:29 pm

A trimpot with say 5-8 positions marked, simply rotate in a code, like with the famous knobs on a safe. Read the voltages, wait a second (or a specific time) at particular position and when the sequence and timing matches, it opens your safe :)
Or, take an accel/gyro module an rotate your safe in a specific sequence. Add a microphone - whistle in a sequence. Or combine all above :lol:
Pukao Hats Cleaning Services Ltd.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:20 pm

@pito

We seem to be heading back to what Mooltipass does, which is a 4 digit pin code entered via a thumb wheel

But I like the idea of a more traditional combination lock.

kinda retro

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:08 am

A few 1% resistors, a multi-detent wafer rotary switch, 1 AD port, one pushbutton (optional) because either end-position of the rotary switch could act as the "enter" sequence.

Of course, NFC from your cellphone.

And new, the NFC ring:

ddrown

Post by ddrown » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:57 pm

I put together a stm32duino example of the wordlist: https://github.com/ddrown/wordlist

Full example with display uses 33KB of flash, so that's not much room for encryption or other things. I can probably cut a bunch of un-needed stuff out of the graphics libraries though.

I was thinking maybe it would be best to store the passwords encrypted on an external SD card. That would make backups easier. It would make having a good encryption password more important.

The reason I'm exploring the word list as a way to enter the passphrase is I think it makes complex passwords easier to remember. See: https://xkcd.com/936/ and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diceware

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:33 pm

I think we can assume that the BluePill has 128k for the purposes of this.

Or people could use a Maple mini which is guaranteed to have 128k