Programmer's Manual?

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
asmallri

Programmer's Manual?

Post by asmallri » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:05 pm

This forum is great and the work that has been done on the STM32duino is impressive however as a newbie to the STM32 and this core it is challenging to find the information required because you don't know what you don't know. I have integrated the Blue Pill STM32F103 into my project and am struggling to find the right function calls outside of the basic Arduino functions.

At the moment I am trying to work out how to wake the bluepill using the WKUP pin. I have the processor in a deepsleep and it wakes correctly via an RTC alarm as required (although the RTC does lose several seconds of time every time this wakeup event occurs) but now need to add the ability to wake up the processor for an external event and the WKUP pin would allow me to do this. I can't find the API calls to enable me to do this. I can hardwire it by making low level bit set and clear operations on the various registers but I am assuming this is something that is required often enough that there is probably functions in the core or libraries to support this.

Is there a programmer's manual for this environment (as opposed to the 1000 page STM32 processor manual) where I can find this stuff myself (teach the man to fish principle)?

mrburnette

Re: Programmer's Manual?

Post by mrburnette » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Is there a programmer's manual for this environment (as opposed to the 1000 page STM32 processor manual) where I can find this stuff myself (teach the man to fish principle)?
Nice parable. We don't subscribe to the concept at the present. We are more toward read the technical reference for specific info and then use that knowledge to craft a tidy little Google search. Using this principle, I found this post: viewtopic.php?t=658

Unfortunately, about the best you are going to get in written detail is the WiKi and the old LeafLabs docs/forum/wiki (both now locked.)
http://docs.leaflabs.com/docs.leaflabs.com/index.html
http://forums.leaflabs.com/forums.leafl ... index.html
(alas, it appears that today the Leaflabs WiKi does not resolve)

I suggest using the google "site:" criterion first, then widen the parameters if you do not get sufficient hits.

Code: Select all

STM32 Wake WkUp site:stm32duino.com
The link I provided earlier is the 1st returned...

But, if you would like to write a Programmer's Manual, go for it as I am sure many coming into the STM32/Arduino environment would find it useful.

Ray

dannyf

Post by dannyf » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:48 pm

as opposed to the 1000 page STM32 processor manual
that manual / datasheet is the best friend to any embedded programmer. if you aren't willing or able to read it, embedded programming will be a tough job for you.

there really is no other way around it.

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:28 am

perhaps Mr G Brown's work might be a gentler introduction, even though it's based on a VL Discovery STM32F100, architecture is pretty much the same within the family and it's a free pdf

amazon kindle store searching stm32 has
Introduction to STM32 ARM Microcontroller with STM HAL-Library & SW4STM324 Dec 2017 | Kindle eBook
by Kento Watanabe
£0.00
Subscribers read for £0.00.
£6.68 ukp
i might comment when i've browsed this one, returned one of my Kindle Unlimted murder books pretty sure that's temporarily.

and there's another tome
The Definitive Guide to ARM® Cortex®-M3 and Cortex®-M4 Processors6 Oct 2013 | Kindle eBook
by Joseph Yiu
£31.19 ukp

stephen

ag123

Post by ag123 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:01 am

for 'getting started' the original leaflabs docs is an invaluable resource
http://docs.leaflabs.com/docs.leaflabs.com/index.html

the rest is probably in the codes
and when all else fail rm0008 is the stm32f10x bible (for the h/w io parts)
http://www.st.com/resource/en/reference ... 171190.pdf

then i'd think there are various arm cortex-m resources on the web that is really useful as well

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:38 am

hi-tex rings a bell, they've got a few guides
srp

dannyf

Post by dannyf » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:34 pm

The Definitive Guide to ARM® Cortex®-M3 and Cortex®-M4 Processors6 Oct 2013 | Kindle eBook
by Joseph Yiu
Yiu's book has limited value from a practitioner's perspective, as the core is for the most part transparent to the programmer.

the peripherals, as described in the datasheet, are what we deal with on a daily basis, and where efforts should be placed.

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:52 pm

i wrote
amazon kindle store searching stm32 has

Introduction to STM32 ARM Microcontroller with STM HAL-Library & SW4STM324 Dec 2017 | Kindle eBook
by Kento Watanabe
£0.00
Subscribers read for £0.00.

£6.68 ukp
i might comment when i've browsed this one, returned one of my Kindle Unlimted murder books pretty sure that's temporarily.
first, it has example code, but the book is currently not searchable, i think i was looking for a download link.
not seen anything related to downloading an examples.zip in contents page.
it does detail the retention of user code with CubeMX.
eclipse/sw4stm32 config is quite detailed, as is a japanese setup for it. authors home page is blank.

project import is covered, made much more generic to me at least, easier with explanation.
on my linux setup, AC6 is invoked from CubeMX automagically, but opening the report folder fails, so i never do

browsing it on the 'Kindle'(kindle,tablet,pc) doesn't seem to let me capture the text. annoying!
i can print the displayed text to a pdf, so it'll be slow pulling the examples out to text.

my suspicion is i'll find some details not immediately obvious from just using CubeMX/Ac6.

stephen

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:36 pm

Another option:

Google search:

STM32 site:github.com
or

Arduino STM32 site:github.com
Many of the github directories have examples.

Arduino examples STM32 site:github.com
Even sites such as Adafruit sometimes shows results:

Arduino examples STM32 site:adafruit.com
or

STM32duino site:sparkfun.com
... and you can do the same kind of searches against YouTube.com if you prefer the video lessons.

Ray

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:20 pm

@zmemw16 has written that
by Kento Watanabe
first, it has example code, but the book is currently not searchable.
seems the purchased book is searchable or maybe it's just that the kindle unlimited version isn't?
srp