nrf24 / esp8266 /xbee section ?

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
zmemw16

nrf24 / esp8266 /xbee section ?

Post by zmemw16 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:34 am

after 5wks of no heat or hot water and a repair visit estimated for 30/1, a new boiler and extra flush clean on the rads are being installed Weds; includes Hive items. albit expensive, but its required, end of.
hive protocol appears to need xbee v2
so it seems i need to investigate xbee v2
as i currently understand thermostat/control has a xbee link to their router, which i believe then uses my wifi to do something, if i filter the packets on the wifi in promiscuous mode, then i can decode them ?
anyone playing with Hive protocols / api ? i've already been googling as well, also on github.
also is it worth a new section for assorted rf hardware devices ?

stephen

mrburnette

Re: nrf24 / esp8266 /xbee section ?

Post by mrburnette » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:04 pm

stephen:

Maybe of interest https://www.digi.com/support/forum/7659 ... munication

Re the heat... dude, that is a horrific story! Hopefully the completion is soon and will still leave you with beer money. I dropped $8K last summer on HVAC... living in Georgia without AC is a no-go... humidity here can be like a rain forest.

Ray

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:35 pm

LOL...

Believe it or not, my 2 year old hot water service ( boiler) contains no electronics at all.
It just gas a gas pipe to it, and uses a pilot light lit during installation via a mechanical piezo system ( hand operated push button).
And has a mechanical thermostat, which I think is a bi-metal strip.

As long as there is gas and water , it just works!

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:00 pm

actually the real problem with it is
switch mains on
open hot water tap
burner lights
da da de dum
maybe hot water, 1 in 10 ???
water tap off
wait for end of fan vent/cool down operation
open hot water
the burner tries but fails to relight, giving a red status led
ice cubes not needed in the whiskey using this water, comments about watering whiskey as a sin will be ignored :D
switch mains off

so is the libraries/hardware sufficient for now ?
stephen

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:32 pm

It sounds like a combination boiler, ie both heating system and hot water....

If so then the problem may be one of either 2 things: 1) solenoid 'diverter' valve is failed/failing 2) the plate heat exchanger is blocked. The boiler prevents refiring to avoid boiling the water in the closed loop....

Both are substantially cheaper to fix than a replacement system, both are caused by crud in the closed system.
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:24 pm

i would say anyone want/got a use for well worn but fixable ch boiler; somehow i suspect it wouldn't be allowed and probably illegal :D
stephen

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:56 pm

lol, the collective ignoring of the actual topic :p

i am in favor for such a section :). Would love to know of xbee etc... compatible modules we can use and where to find them.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:51 pm

racemaniac wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:56 pm
lol, the collective ignoring of the actual topic :p

i am in favor for such a section :). Would love to know of xbee etc... compatible modules we can use and where to find them.
General info:
ZigBee / ZigBee Pro are mesh communication protocols that sits on top of IEEE 802.15.4 PHY.

XBee / XBee Pro are product names for radio communications modules made by Digi.
Not ignoring anyone.
Just seems to be no stm32duino members are chiming in with actual experience.

"Hive" communications/Zigbee has a forum here: http://hivehomeforum.co.uk/?page_id=21

Sparkfun has a good overview of Zigbee + Arduino hookups here: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/xb ... okup-guide

Paul has an Arduino-Teensy library here: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_XBee.html

DigiMesh is described here: https://www.digi.com/products/xbee-rf-s ... gimesh-2-4

The questions asked were:
1) anyone playing with Hive protocols / api ?
i've already been googling as well, also on github.
also
2) is it worth a new section for assorted rf hardware devices ?
I personally feel that #2 can exist in Off Topic or General for the time being unless someone develops/sells a Xbee with integral STM32FXXXX microcontroller in which case a new board section may be appropriate.

... just my opinion, however.

Ray

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:43 pm

@Ray
hive it seems uses a 2nd generation xbee, documentation on hive protocols is whisper thin on the ground and overall rather vague.
i've seen most of the links from my searching, but will go over your suggestions with a fine toothcomb. having used aliexpress etc, i have this aversion to spending, ignoring boilers; also i haven't forgotten that sparkfun et al have decent documentation support to their products, so read, adapt and improve. Borg moment ;)
thx

@BennehBoy
i'm in the uk, so mains wiring and gas are seriously off-limits unless qualified. although i suspect diagnostic and fault finding on mains wiring are maybe ok - mains off only :!: :!: the fixer has to be qualified.
10-15-20yrs back i'd already have sorted it.
i want to do it(all sorts), but seems age is what i was 40yrs back loaded with restrictions &limitations, quite frustrating really. :)

@BennehBoy
would you consider logging your data to a stm32 in the boot ? <smilie for really long tongue in cheek>
it is a fibreglass car ?

@Roger
have you turned spallchzcking off ? ? ? seems so as no red appearing ??
so please if anyone has actually used any of the devices in whatever way, chirp up
stephen

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:10 am

zmemw16 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:43 pm
@BennehBoy
i'm in the uk, so mains wiring and gas are seriously off-limits unless qualified. although i suspect diagnostic and fault finding on mains wiring are maybe ok - mains off only :!: :!: the fixer has to be qualified.
10-15-20yrs back i'd already have sorted it.
i want to do it(all sorts), but seems age is what i was 40yrs back loaded with restrictions &limitations, quite frustrating really. :)
Corgi & NEC/EIC are a pain in the bum, but neither of the above fixes touches the gas or electrical components of the boiler, switch off, isolate water inlet, main loop, job's a good un :D
zmemw16 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:43 pm
@BennehBoy
would you consider logging your data to a stm32 in the boot ? <smilie for really long tongue in cheek>
it is a fibreglass car ?
I know there's a joke here but I'm too dim to see it :lol: :lol:
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy