How many fps can I expect if I use a 128x64 display and a blue pill?

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
david.prentice

Re: How many fps can I expect if I use a 128x64 display and a blue pill?

Post by david.prentice » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:15 pm

Surely a regular reflective LCD is the best compromise for sunlight. i.e. traditional green background, black graphics.
At night the backlight comes on.
Personally, I don't like the Blue transmissive LCD with White graphics.

Colour TFTs certainly look very smart in the ideal lighting conditions.

Is that you riding a motorbike in your Avatar?
It looks pretty hairy but at least you are not moving at 234 kph in 60C weather.

David.

Tobo

Post by Tobo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:29 pm

It's not the weather, it's the water temperature!

I'm Italian, for us it's absolutely necessary to read the water temperature while riding, so when it gets to 100°C you know it's boiling and you can cook pasta :D :D

Manny

Post by Manny » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:47 pm

david.prentice wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:15 pm

Is that you riding a motorbike in your Avatar?
It looks pretty hairy but at least you are not moving at 234 kph in 60C weather.
Yes its me..223kph? 60C? No idea what you do but don't sound that enticing. :D

My next step was going to be a larger tft screen and try an adjust the backlight with a light sensor on the fly..sounds good in theory.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:52 pm

Going back to the original question...

As that disolay is parallel 8 bits, the STM32 will probably be able to send raw data to it, faster than it can receive it.

The frame rate is much more likely to be a function of the complexity of the graphics etc, you want to send to the display.

I have no knowledge of the controller chip on this display, but most have basic functions like Setpixel, and ClearPixel, and FillRect etc.
This one may only have a method to set / clear pixels.

So I don’t think anyone is likely to be able to answer your question, unless they actually have this disolay and also you have your screen design finalised.

Tobo

Post by Tobo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:15 pm

Thank you for all your answers guys, I really appreciate your help :) I also appreciate your jokes but I have to be honest, it hurts that you ignored my joke about cooking pasta with engine water :cry: :cry:
RogerClark wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:52 pm
Going back to the original question...

As that disolay is parallel 8 bits, the STM32 will probably be able to send raw data to it, faster than it can receive it.

The frame rate is much more likely to be a function of the complexity of the graphics etc, you want to send to the display.

I have no knowledge of the controller chip on this display, but most have basic functions like Setpixel, and ClearPixel, and FillRect etc.
This one may only have a method to set / clear pixels.

So I don’t think anyone is likely to be able to answer your question, unless they actually have this disolay and also you have your screen design finalised.
As far as I understand I'll be able to do what I want to do without much trouble and that's enough for me.

Just to be clear and to be useful for future readers, I also don't like the 128x64 graphic lcd in this situation, but this project is a last minute solution with really strict time and money constraints. The only display that was cheap enough and available soon was this blue 128x64 graphic lcd.
At the moment I have to use this, maybe in the future I'll upgrade it to something better :)

I think i'll open a new thread if I'll need help developing the firmware.

Thank you again!

Tobo

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:38 am

Tobo wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:15 pm
Thank you for all your answers guys, I really appreciate your help :) I also appreciate your jokes but I have to be honest, it hurts that you ignored my joke about cooking pasta with engine water :cry: :cry:
A hearty guffaw was issued here in Yorkshire. :lol: :lol:
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:04 pm

david.prentice wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:15 pm
<...>
Personally, I don't like the Blue transmissive LCD with White graphics.
<...>

+1

Ray

MarkB

Post by MarkB » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:58 pm

Tobo wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:01 pm
Do you think it's a good idea?
Just my opinion, but a numeric display of RPM on a racing bike is worse than useless. It takes too long to interpret and extra time spent thinking about some such at 200 km/hr takes away from far more important tasks. One needs to know more or less where they are relative to the power band and a color coded bar graph does this far better than a numeric display.

There's a long tradition of arranging analog instrumentation such that the needle is vertical (sometime horizontal) at the nominal condition (e.g. peak power) for much the same reason.

Tobo

Post by Tobo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:11 pm

MarkB wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:58 pm
Tobo wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:01 pm
Do you think it's a good idea?
Just my opinion, but a numeric display of RPM on a racing bike is worse than useless. It takes too long to interpret and extra time spent thinking about some such at 200 km/hr takes away from far more important tasks. One needs to know more or less where they are relative to the power band and a color coded bar graph does this far better than a numeric display.

There's a long tradition of arranging analog instrumentation such that the needle is vertical (sometime horizontal) at the nominal condition (e.g. peak power) for much the same reason.
Thank you for your opinion, you are absolutely right, the display is just an integration to a series of led that will work as main rpm indicator.

The driver asked for something to read the laptimes on while testing the bike, the mechanics asked to see the rpms and temperature when warming up the bike.
Actually I could make 2 differen pages, one for the driver and one for the technicians :)

Thank you again for your input, the project is still in the design phase (and it will be for at least another week) and every comment is welcome! ;)

Tobo

Post by Tobo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:12 pm

BennehBoy wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:38 am
Tobo wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:15 pm
A hearty guffaw was issued here in Yorkshire. :lol: :lol:
Thank you kind stranger :D :D :D