Proposal. Use forum logins on the wiki

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
RogerClark

Proposal. Use forum logins on the wiki

Post by RogerClark » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:50 pm

Guys

A while ago I had to disable new wiki account creation except by me, because the site was hit by spambots.

The current situation is not that good, as if some wants to edit the wiki they must contact me and I have to manually create the account,and often these requests drop off my radar as I am too busy.

One solution is to link the Forum login system to the Wiki, however I am not sure what impact retrospectively doing that would now do.

If my web hosting had enough storage space I would make a complete copy of the wiki files and database, and probably start a new wiki from scratch, in parallel with the current one, but my hosting has a max number of files limit and I think doing that would push it I wrote the million files limit.

I could attempt to just backup the db and all files, and install the plugin and see what happens, as I am not convinced the existing wiki structure is very suited to the way it’s used.
E.g. I think the Main page should have a direct link to a page which all the boards on it, rather than the existing structure

Can you give me your thought, as I expect this will take several hours to do and I am ( like everyone else) , time poor....

ddrown

Re: Proposal. Use forum logins on the wiki

Post by ddrown » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:49 pm

This makes sense to me. The amount of edit activity on the wiki has gone down since the new account form was disabled.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:05 pm

Ok..

I will wait for a few more replies, and then perhaps next weekend, try to implemen that change

arpruss

Post by arpruss » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:19 am

You could set it up so you need two posts before you can edit the wiki, or something like that.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:12 am

arpruss wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:19 am
You could set it up so you need two posts before you can edit the wiki, or something like that.
No.

I do not think WiKi editing should be done by noobs/newbies. That is just asking for trouble. Maybe 50 post... and I am not sure about that.

The WiKi has taken six members a huge amount of time to develop. Heck, I do not even go in there editing for fear of f'ing something up. Goodness knows I have messed up a few times with just moderator privilege.

Ray

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:44 am

Ray

I checked and there is some granularity to this. In that I need to create a Wiki group and only people in that group could edit the wiki

However, I don't know if there is any way to automatically put anyone with 50 or more posts into that group.

PHPBB has a system where it knows if you have made 0 posts, i.e totally newbie's . but I don't know if its possible, without adding plugin's or writing code to add to a group based on a specific number of posts.

I suspect this would be a question that has been asked on the PHPBB forum, but I don't have time to do that research at the moment

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:24 am

RogerClark wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:44 am
<...>
I suspect this would be a question that has been asked on the PHPBB forum, but I don't have time to do that research at the moment
Ah, you know what a butt I am about such things. .. It's yours to do with what you wish. But I personally do not feel that this is an immediate need that has to be resolved; the WiKi has evolved nicely from the current authors. Sounds like a winter project to me.

Ray

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:27 am

Hi Ray

No worries...

I agree with you.

Simply adding a new group called Wiki and automatically adding everyone to it (somehow) would not be a good idea.

eggsylah

Post by eggsylah » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:31 am

At the risk of being controversial - if you don't let people change it then it isn't really a wiki!

It seems to me that it is really just a set of curated pages that were useful when I first started using the bluepill -- but now I don't look.
If I have a problem I don't think "Oh let's check the wiki". Instead, I search the forum ... which has the good stuff in it. Although it can be hard to find.

When I did read the wiki, there were a couple of things that I felt could have been changed to clarify things. Then I discovered it was read only so I didn't bother doing anything.

It looks like there have been a total of 19 changes made in the past 360 days and 5 in the past 180 days.
If you want to leave it as a static respository that is fine. If you want it to be more dynamic then something needs to change (imho)

If server storage space is the problem I'm sure we could figure something out.

Eric

Squonk42

Post by Squonk42 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:55 am

+1 for opening the wiki.

There are only 45 members with 100+ posts, and 76 with 50+ posts, so it is still manageable, even if tou have to create the accounts by hand or do a query in the PHPBB database... Or proceed on a per access request basis?