Proposal. Use forum logins on the wiki

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
mrburnette

Re: Proposal. Use forum logins on the wiki

Post by mrburnette » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:16 pm

Squonk42 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:55 am
+1 for opening the wiki.

There are only 45 members with 100+ posts, and 76 with 50+ posts, so it is still manageable, even if tou have to create the accounts by hand or do a query in the PHPBB database... Or proceed on a per access request basis?
That is, I believe the way it is handled now. For those that do not know, there are two (2) WiKi's one primarily by SteveStrong and one by various members that is a tab on the github core page.

Again, this is all because of the spambots ...

Ray

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:35 pm

Re:Spambots

I am now starting to get spammed though the Contact page on the forum.

i presume there is no Captcha by default on these Contact the admin pages on most sites, so some idiot must have written a script etc to spam PHPBB forum admins.

I am not sure if the intention is to hack my computer e.g. crypo lock or just to get me to buy something.

But its a pain to have to manually filter this new Spam vector, from the real emails of people contacting me when they cant login.

However, to be honest, if someone trying to register , who does not know how to look in their junk mail folder...
Or dont know / cant look uo what pin the LED is connected to on a Arduino UNO...
Then Arduino on the STM32 is probably too difficult for them....

So if those emails get lost as spam, I'm not too concerned.

ag123

Post by ag123 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:27 am

i'm rather surprised that spambots these days are so intrusive, i''ve not been aware of these as i'm not running a forum or such web myself. but i did note that some spambots search forums etc for email addresses e.g. looking for the @ symbol and i did get spam coming to my email , i've been careful with those forums since that

+1 for the wiki