Custom STM32F103C8T6

If you made your own board, post here, unless you built a Maple or Maple mini clone etc
RogerClark

Re: Custom STM32F103C8T6

Post by RogerClark » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:06 am

stevech wrote:win 7 here. ST-Link shows up in device manager USB list as "Universal Serial Bus Devices \ STMIcroelectronics STLink dongle."
Not in "Ports" serial ports
Steve

We're not referring to the STLink in Serial ports, we're referring to what "Serial" is mapped to in the core

And when the user selects to upload via STLink, the build flags are set to enable USB serial

Code: Select all

genericSTM32F103C.menu.upload_method.STLinkMethod.build.upload_flags=-DCONFIG_MAPLE_MINI_NO_DISABLE_DEBUG=1 -DSERIAL_USB -DGENERIC_BOOTLOADER
This is because the normal external STLink dongle does not provide serial (unlike the BMP) - I think the STLink on the Nucleo boards may also show as a USB CDC serial as well as the STLink device, but I've never seen a STLink dongle do this.

stevech

Post by stevech » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:02 am

Ah, I see. I just use ST-Link every day, but to do downloads and SWD. So, I don't know what I don't know! :|

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:03 am

STLink of nucleo boards is V2.1, while dongles are V2. USB CDC Serial is supported only in V2.1.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:15 am

Slammer wrote:STLink of nucleo boards is V2.1, while dongles are V2. USB CDC Serial is supported only in V2.1.
My Nucleo F334 actually shows up as 3 devices.

STLink, USB CDC and also "MBED" which is a mass storage device

The mass storage device has a HTML page which is supposed to redirect to MBED, but it doesn't see to redirect for me, as it looks like they stuffed up the html somehow

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=http://mbed.org/device/?code=07350200807E0222BF1B942A"/>
I presume if I drop a binary from MBED onto the mass storage device it uploads it to the F334 MCU

PS.

I'm not sure why they don't implement the USB CDC serial and possibly mass storage on the dongles.

Or at least the mass storage. But perhaps they use cheaper MCU's in the dongle

GrumpyOldPizza

Post by GrumpyOldPizza » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:15 pm

RogerClark wrote:
Slammer wrote:STLink of nucleo boards is V2.1, while dongles are V2. USB CDC Serial is supported only in V2.1.
My Nucleo F334 actually shows up as 3 devices.

STLink, USB CDC and also "MBED" which is a mass storage device

The mass storage device has a HTML page which is supposed to redirect to MBED, but it doesn't see to redirect for me, as it looks like they stuffed up the html somehow

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=http://mbed.org/device/?code=07350200807E0222BF1B942A"/>
I presume if I drop a binary from MBED onto the mass storage device it uploads it to the F334 MCU

PS.

I'm not sure why they don't implement the USB CDC serial and possibly mass storage on the dongles.

Or at least the mass storage. But perhaps they use cheaper MCU's in the dongle
Mass Storage is not implemeted on the Dongles, because for that you need to know the MCU on the other side of the SWD connection. Each ST product line seems to have a different flash layout and different programming requirements (old F103 type devices are programmed in 16bit units, L4 devices are programmed in 64bit units, just as an example).

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:21 pm

I can use the ST-Link part of my Nucleo-401RE to program the BluePill (103RE) with storage device (copy the binary to storage device) normally.
OK, the name of Volume created by ST-Link is always something with 401RE, but it works. Do you mean that every Nucleo's stlink V2.1 is working only (as storage device) to specific variants of STM32 family?

GrumpyOldPizza

Post by GrumpyOldPizza » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:32 pm

Slammer wrote:I can use the ST-Link part of my Nucleo-401RE to program the BluePill (103RE) with storage device (copy the binary to storage device) normally.
OK, the name of Volume created by ST-Link is always something with 401RE, but it works. Do you mean that every Nucleo's stlink V2.1 is working only (as storage device) to specific variants of STM32 family?
No idea of what works with what CPU with the storage device. Perhaps ST keeps one firmware set for all Nucleo boards ... I just commented as to why the ST Link dongles would not support the store interface. On the other hand it might be simply marketing, as the ST-Link on the Nucleo boards is fundamentally something different that an standalone ST-Link device.

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:12 pm

GrumpyOldPizza wrote: On the other hand it might be simply marketing, as the ST-Link on the Nucleo boards is fundamentally something different that an standalone ST-Link device.
I have no idea! I am usually working with cheapo ST-Link dongles, but I made a test using nucleo as ST-Link on a BluePill and worked...
As in Nucleo-STLink there is serial port support ( is a pass-through of real Uart of Target MCU to USB) it is interesting. Nucleo boards cost about 15$, a good value for STLink V2.1 alone.

GrumpyOldPizza

Post by GrumpyOldPizza » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:15 pm

Slammer wrote:
GrumpyOldPizza wrote: On the other hand it might be simply marketing, as the ST-Link on the Nucleo boards is fundamentally something different that an standalone ST-Link device.
I have no idea! I am usually working with cheapo ST-Link dongles, but I made a test using nucleo as ST-Link on a BluePill and worked...
As in Nucleo-STLink there is serial port support ( is a pass-through of real Uart of Target MCU to USB) it is interesting. Nucleo boards cost about 15$, a good value for STLink V2.1 alone.
Did you break the ST-Link part off, or just hooked things up directly with a disconnected "Nucleo Part" ? I did try that once with a F401 Nucleo and I had issues ...

Vassilis

Post by Vassilis » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:53 pm

I have the feeling that the SB12-SB15 jumpers should be de-soldered in case you don't want to break the board in two parts,for isolating the ST-Link v2.1 from the main Nucleo MCU.
nucleo-board-bottom-side.jpg
nucleo-board-bottom-side.jpg (253.3 KiB) Viewed 721 times