New 144pin MCUs on dev boards
Here's one...
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/5806777

$25

zmemw16

Re: Hungry for Pins, RAM?

Post by zmemw16 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:10 am

aliexpress seems stuck at £30.63

that a bit higher than using pounds for dollars as typically done.
ebay - nothing relevant showed

srp

madias

Post by madias » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:16 am

A nicer Nucleo device would be - instead of full 144 pins - to cutoff 32 (or 64) of them hard wired to a onboard SDRAM (512-2048MB or something)
BTW: I had this at home: http://www.ti.com/ww/en/launchpad/launc ... .html#tabs
Played 3 times with it and now it's gather dust in the original box (no use for it)

zoomx

Post by zoomx » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:35 am

I have some Launchpads too. They are interesting for their low power characteristics and the Energia IDE. One of them has FRAM RAM and works with a Supercap. But they are gathering dust too!

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:37 am

IMHO, The processors with heaps of RAM and pins are quite a niche market.

Generally this sector of the market is getting colonized by devices like the RPiZero and the CHIP, both of which are cheaper, and have a higher clock speed and more RAM.

At the other end of the scale STM are still promoting the STM8, e.g. They just announced that they had shipped over 2 billion STM8's
STM8 hits 2 billion units shipment mark

Design-in activity with our successful 8-bit microcontroller series continues to grow, resulting in record-breaking shipments quarter after quarter. With an impressive two billion units shipped, the STM8 has become one of the world’s most popular MCUs both in mass market and at OEMs. The STM8’s outstanding core performance associated with a wide set of peripherals and memories covering 2 to 128 Kbytes are suitable for many application requirements at the most competitive price.

WereCatf

Post by WereCatf » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:52 am

RogerClark wrote:IMHO, The processors with heaps of RAM and pins are quite a niche market.

Generally this sector of the market is getting colonized by devices like the RPiZero and the CHIP, both of which are cheaper, and have a higher clock speed and more RAM.
Once you go over $15 you start to get a good selection of the various single-board computers (SBCs) that can run actual full-blown Linux and everything. They tend to lack in ADCs and DACs, but you can always just buy one or more of the low-end boards, like the Blue Pills, and marry them to the SBC over serial or whatever to handle that part, so, at least to my eye, these MCU-boards with $25+ boards just don't seem like such a good value-proposition anymore. There are also SBCs that do have ADCs and DACs and really fast GPIO and they don't cost that much more than these MCU-boards.

zoomx

Post by zoomx » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:24 pm

I resolved my problems with STM8 using another STLink dongle and played with them a little.

I found very few pages of hobbyists about this chip and these cheaps boards. Maybe is more diffused in mainland China and Google didn't find pages there, Baidu shows more pages.

@WereCatf
Unfortunately most SBC doesn't have RTOS and there are applications where precise timings are mandatory.
For example Adafruit writes that RaspberryPi is unable to drive correctly WS2812 LED strips. But I am not sure since there are libraries for these LED on RPi. You can also use an MCU with a SBC.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:46 pm

WereCatf wrote:<...>There are also SBCs that do have ADCs and DACs and really fast GPIO and they don't cost that much more than these MCU-boards.
IMO, we are at a point of metamorphosis with SBC. It is all fine and well to run Linux on a $5 chip, but it is no more useful than a Maple Mini blinking its LED. As the maker population (for lack of a better description) evolves, the market place is being driven to a desire for enhanced connectivity: with the 'input world" on one side (sensors, displays, input devices) and the output world on the other, "GLCD, WiFi, packet radio, web portals, etc." The expectations are changing quickly and a growing number of microcontrollers and microprocessors are feeling cheated by the older offerings. The expectations are evolving... it is to be expected.

I do not know how this will shake out, but at the moment the logical approach is small, sensor-centric uC based devices feeding upstream to an aggregate/analysis platform. The IoT stuff is already in this camp with web-hosting sites: Sparkfun Example. But, I think this is a transitional phase as my belief is that many makers would prefer to have the data on a central device under their control... in their own house or small business and with access via home computer, smartphone, or Internet over a secure connection through their own firewall. This is the evolving phase that is not fully baked, IMO. But that is not stopping Amazon Echo from marketing to the commodity market of flesh with surplus cash. And then there is Nest!

Lots of our members have various mechanization projects in design, started, or implemented. On Arduino.cc there must me a hundred makers with semi-mechanized chicken coops! Here, I have only implemented GPS over UPD with the ESP8266, but with 9 months of perfect success (3 remote GLCD clocks) I am ready to declare that successful but not overly significant in the grand scheme. It does however demonstrate how simple a technical solution can be for something as simple as replacing RF WWVB clocks with a quantum leap technology at a lower cost per unit. (Here in Georgia, WWVB reception is iffy and even with careful alignment of the internal antenna, once-a-week synchronization is about the norm.)

My first true job was distributed computing in the financial market. 44 years later, we are still all wondering how to do distributed computing at the lower levels on data collection.

Ray

zoomx

Post by zoomx » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:01 pm

Some web based IOT can be installed in a home PC. ThingSpeak, EmonCms, EasyIOT are among them.One day I will test one or more of them.

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:04 pm

zoomx wrote:Some web based IOT can be installed in a home PC. ThingSpeak, EmonCms, EasyIOT are among them.One day I will test one or more of them.
... eagerly await a report :D

Too many toys, not enough time :cry:

Ray