Hungry for Pins, RAM?

Any other STM32 based boards
WereCatf

Re: Hungry for Pins, RAM?

Post by WereCatf » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:17 pm

zoomx wrote:Some web based IOT can be installed in a home PC. ThingSpeak, EmonCms, EasyIOT are among them.One day I will test one or more of them.
I hear all the cool kids use MQTT these days. If you happen to have an OpenWRT-based router, like I have, then it's likely to be powered-on 24/7 anyways and makes for a perfectly valid server for this stuff -- I have several servers running on mine, for example; I can pull the plug on everything else on my network, power off my PC and all that, but all the ESP8266's, for example, will continue to work fine and supply their data and be accessible as long as the router is powered-on. If the server-software you need isn't already available for OpenWRT it's not that terrible much work to compile it yourself or ask on #openwrt if someone could be so kind as to do it for you, or at least help you with it.

zoomx

Post by zoomx » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:41 pm

Yes, I have too openWRT devices from old home gateways (I could find them in ebay for about 10 euro) and I heard about MQTT but never played with it.

WereCatf

Post by WereCatf » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:46 pm

zoomx wrote:Yes, I have too openWRT devices from old home gateways (I could find them in ebay for about 10 euro) and I heard about MQTT but never played with it.
Mosquitto (MQTT broker) should work quite nicely on OpenWRT, I hear, and seems to already be available in the repos. I've never used MQTT myself, so I can't comment much more on that.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:05 pm

Has anyone found a MQTT client for ESP8266 ?

The only one I found, was not compatible with the Arduino IDE, and wouldnt seem to compile even with the bare metal espressif API :-(

IMHO, the whole MQTT space has yet to shake down. There are dozens of different brokers, some open source, some closed source, some fully commercial.
All with various sets of non standard features.

MQTT and IoT really need a thread to themselves.

If people are interested, I can split this thread, but its probably more to do with non STM32 devices, as I am not aware of any STM32s with built in IoT e.g. wifi connectivity.

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:11 pm

RogerClark wrote:Has anyone found a MQTT client for ESP8266 ?
I tested PubSubClient by Nick O'Leary and working correctly on ESP8266.
I didn't make extensive tests, about 10 variables of various types. As MQTT server, I used mosquitto on Debian.

PS
Here it is: https://github.com/knolleary/pubsubclient

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:19 pm

@slammer

Thanks

Interestingly with that library it only supports Quality of Service, 0 and 1. Which means whatever you are set (or sending) is not guaranteed to get received (or be received).

I don't know what this means in terms of how things actually work. I presume the server just gives up after a certain timeout.

I see QoS 0 and 1 somewhat like a twitter or Facebook feed, where it really doesn't matter if you get the data or not.

However for most control applications, I would have thought that QoS 2 was essential

stevech

Post by stevech » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:16 am

RogerClark wrote:IMHO, The processors with heaps of RAM and pins are quite a niche market.

Generally this sector of the market is getting colonized by devices like the RPiZero and the CHIP, both of which are cheaper, and have a higher clock speed and more RAM.

At the other end of the scale STM are still promoting the STM8, e.g. They just announced that they had shipped over 2 billion STM8's
STM8 hits 2 billion units shipment mark

Design-in activity with our successful 8-bit microcontroller series continues to grow, resulting in record-breaking shipments quarter after quarter. With an impressive two billion units shipped, the STM8 has become one of the world’s most popular MCUs both in mass market and at OEMs. The STM8’s outstanding core performance associated with a wide set of peripherals and memories covering 2 to 128 Kbytes are suitable for many application requirements at the most competitive price.
Wow. That's a perspective. ST sells gobs of sub-GB ARMs - TV sets, home theater things that are complex, etc. Think big! Think beyond the hobbyists and students!

and long live the 8051s!
Last edited by stevech on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevech

Post by stevech » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:35 am

RogerClark wrote: ... as I am not aware of any STM32s with built in IoT e.g. wifi connectivity.
LoRa wireless is a big deal now in IoT, esp. in the EU.

WereCatf

Post by WereCatf » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:10 am

stevech wrote:
RogerClark wrote: ... as I am not aware of any STM32s with built in IoT e.g. wifi connectivity.
LoRa wireless is a big deal now in IoT, esp. in the EU.
I googled for LoRa and it looks like it's just an RF-module, not a programmable MCU with built-in connectivity.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:24 am

I also googled LoRa and it was rather vague.

And you seemed to need to create an account to get more details.