news: Arduino STAR OTTO development board

Any other STM32 based boards
Vassilis

Re: news: Arduino STAR OTTO development board

Post by Vassilis » Sun May 22, 2016 4:00 pm

In my opinion, those Evaluation boards have not passed all the FCC tests (and not only) and do not meet all safety parameters. For that, those boards cannot be used in commercial products, to protect the ST from accusations /
defamations from customers that bought a device based on that evaluation board and may doesn't work properly.

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Sun May 22, 2016 4:21 pm

Vassilis wrote:In my opinion, those Evaluation boards have not passed all the FCC tests (and not only) and do not meet all safety parameters. For that, those boards cannot be used in commercial products, to protect the ST from accusations /
defamations from customers that bought a device based on that evaluation board and may doesn't work properly.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't ratings like FCC for an entire product you're selling anyhow. So anyone using such a board, if it's passed FCC or not, will have to have their resulting product tested.

sheepdoll

Post by sheepdoll » Sun May 22, 2016 4:41 pm

As I am working the overnight shifts I decided not to stay over this morning as I have another 12 hour shift starting at 8PM tonight.

I spent 4 hours yesterday. Doubt if I would learn anything new. I met most of the same people Rodger did and got the same story.

I did spend some time at the .cc both. .cc might be a better place to see if they could revive the Maple than .org

I found the existing F4 code to be quite a mess, which is why I did the HALMX lashup. The issue with most of this is that g_Pin2PortMapArray[] hack. I was over optimistic that I could edit this over the weekend to bring some of my variants in line with the latest. I am thinking I might approach ST for a Cube plugin that would generate a Ardino sketch variant or at least this table. The alternative would be to write a script that reads the .ioc and spits out a configured variant.

stevech

Post by stevech » Sun May 22, 2016 5:18 pm

Quoting a portion of ST's license agreement for eval boards...
EVALUATION BOARD STATUS
The Evaluation Board offers limited features allowing You only to evaluate and test the ST products. The Evaluation Board is not intended for consumer or household use. You are not authorized to use the Evaluation Board in any production system, and it may not be offered for sale or lease, or sold, leased or otherwise distributed for commercial purposes. If the Evaluation Board is incorporated in an evaluation system, the evaluation system may be used by You solely for Your evaluation and testing purposes. Such evaluation system may not be offered for sale or lease or sold, leased or otherwise distributed for commercial purposes and must be accompanied by a conspicuous notice as follows: “This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased or otherwise distributed for commercial purposes”.
http://www.st.com/resource/en/license_a ... eement.pdf

stevech

Post by stevech » Sun May 22, 2016 5:21 pm

RogerClark wrote:...I told both the STM guys and also Angelo that the F103 was really the device of choice for everyone at the moment, and I gave a Baite Maple mini to Angelo, to whet his appetite.
Everyone? Maybe a certain group. Forum's name is a bit more all-encompassing, isn't it?

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Sun May 22, 2016 6:02 pm

stevech wrote:
RogerClark wrote:...I told both the STM guys and also Angelo that the F103 was really the device of choice for everyone at the moment, and I gave a Baite Maple mini to Angelo, to whet his appetite.
Everyone? Maybe a certain group. Forum's name is a bit more all-encompassing, isn't it?

Gee Whiz....
IMO, Roger's statement is a nice, simple introduction. Too much information at this stage simply confuses the vendor. I did Vendor Relations for years ... trust me, a confused vendor can easily make a lot of unnecessary noise.

... and what's with the Eval board post ... seems unnecessary ... or are you just cautioning Roger not to get a male & female board and start breading his own line of pedigree littl' boards?

Ray

ahull

Post by ahull » Sun May 22, 2016 6:35 pm

mrburnette wrote: ... or are you just cautioning Roger not to get a male & female board and start breading his own line of pedigree littl' boards?
Ray
Just don't let that pesky little Ugly board get in on the action. :twisted:
- Andy Hull -

strawberrymaker

Post by strawberrymaker » Sun May 22, 2016 8:03 pm

About the Price: I doubt that it will be under 50$ for something that packs this MCU. This is already a double sided load and most definatly a 4 layer board. No way they will make it under 50$ for something that wont be produced as much as an uno.
ok, its not like st has to pay 10$ for these MCUs, because well, they make them, but still. for something that will most definatly be produced in a small quantity (compared to the uno), i doubt it will be under 50$.
Twitter : @maker_berry

denis

Marketing board

Post by denis » Sun May 22, 2016 8:35 pm

This board is only a marketing board. STM is not interested by makers or small business, only contract in big quantities interest STM.
But with this board, STM commercials boys & girls can associate the well-konw name of arduino with stm32; "You can use arduino simple ide to program stm32" or "stm32 is as simple as an arduino to program, it is the same ide". Nobody knows mbed, but arduino is also know outside makers world.
I am sure, it will be the same than nucleo board, lots of news/buzz when it was out, after nothing.

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Sun May 22, 2016 10:08 pm

I agree! STM's MCUs were never popular among small makers or hobbyists, ebay and chinese manufacturers bring us the STM family (and the aggressive pricing of development boards from ST in last years).
Arduino is build around atmega8/168/328, a rather limited member of AVR family.... and this is enough for 80% of people, if they want something bigger the answer is the Mega and that's it. Look the maple board and the olimex clone (olimexino STM- I have it from 2011 but never used), they appeared about 6 to 7 years ago without much success. The truth is that Arduino STM interest revived because of the $2-$3 STM32 boards from china.
STM Arduino board for more than 50$ is just a marketing board.