news: Arduino STAR OTTO development board

Any other STM32 based boards
Slammer

Re: news: Arduino STAR OTTO development board

Postby Slammer » Mon May 30, 2016 11:13 pm

Personally I would expect a "new generation" arduino base board with a modern MCU, almost in the same price tag like original arduino.
After avr based UNO, and ZERO, a more powerfull arm based board as a third option is a good idea. Maybe something based on F401/F411.
But! it must be simple, clean and low priced. I think what it is possible to produce such a board at around 25$. Any extra interface like Bluetooth or Wifi can be available as a shield or by other add-on way.
All these complex and expensive boards available under arduino brand, each one with different architecture, scatter development efforts and confuse people. I see only marketing "games" from semiconductor companies and arduino people as they are trying to capitalize on arduino success.
Personally, for high specs/priced boards, I like linux boards like rasberryPi or BananaPi or my favorite Olinuxino-LIME (from olimex).
Last edited by Slammer on Tue May 31, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Tue May 31, 2016 1:00 am

@slammer

I think you are right.... These boards seem to have been designed by the marketing department.

A board with just the nRF52 looks like it would be as powerful as an STM32F103, as it uses the ARM Cortex-M4 processor @64Mhz and has 512k flash and 64k RAM (the RAM and flash size may vary depending on which version is used)

Perhaps the F103RB is purely being used as the USB interface device, but in which case it seems over spec'ed as you would only need a F103C8 not an F103R8 (though I suppose they are virtually identical apart from package)

Perhaps they will bring out an ESP32 board and do away with both the nRF52 and the ESP8266, and just use a CH240 etc for programming
(or perhaps use a F103 as the USB programmer)

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Tue May 31, 2016 2:02 pm

Looking back to the link that @bobc provided earlier in this thread, it seems that Seeed Studio drop their price for that board.

https://www.seeedstudio.com/item_detail.html?p_id=2632

$19.95 for an F407 with Ethernet, it is pretty appealing !

ddrown

Postby ddrown » Tue May 31, 2016 3:20 pm

martinayotte wrote:Looking back to the link that @bobc provided earlier in this thread, it seems that Seeed Studio drop their price for that board.

Heh, I just paid $30 for that board on the 23rd! I'm still waiting for it to show up, looks like it left China today.

Vassilis

Postby Vassilis » Tue May 31, 2016 4:14 pm

ddrown wrote:
martinayotte wrote:Looking back to the link that @bobc provided earlier in this thread, it seems that Seeed Studio drop their price for that board.

Heh, I just paid $30 for that board on the 23rd! I'm still waiting for it to show up, looks like it left China today.

What luck :D

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Tue May 31, 2016 4:28 pm

Too much appealing ! :D
I've placed my order before stock is running out ! :lol:

GrumpyOldPizza

Postby GrumpyOldPizza » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:56 am

RogerClark wrote:@slammer

I think you are right.... These boards seem to have been designed by the marketing department.

A board with just the nRF52 looks like it would be as powerful as an STM32F103, as it uses the ARM Cortex-M4 processor @64Mhz and has 512k flash and 64k RAM (the RAM and flash size may vary depending on which version is used)

Perhaps the F103RB is purely being used as the USB interface device, but in which case it seems over spec'ed as you would only need a F103C8 not an F103R8 (though I suppose they are virtually identical apart from package)

Perhaps they will bring out an ESP32 board and do away with both the nRF52 and the ESP8266, and just use a CH240 etc for programming
(or perhaps use a F103 as the USB programmer)

I don't quite understand the ESP8266 on this combo, but the F103C8 is needed for implementing a SWD debugger and USB/CDC passthrou. A CH240 (or FT234X) solution is not that attractive, as if you screw up a possible bootloader on nRF52, then you still have somehow reflash it throu SWD, which then again requires you to have a debugger attached. That is not that user friendly. Price wise a CH240/FT234X and a regular microcontroller are not that far off.

Kris and I went throu the same thought process and ended up using STM32F042 for the same type of setup (early prototype here: https://www.oshpark.com/shared_projects/PItFJhMx)

As to why they picked out a "large" STM32F103, I am as puzzled as everybody else. Perhaps they put more functionality into it that just USB/CDC and the debugger, like semihosting. Maybe they use a shared setup, like with VEX EDR, where one CPU handles the user program, and the other one does the IO in the background. Or perhaps they simply got a good deal on a batch of F103R8 ;-)

Anyway, with speed, on non-FPU type of work, a 72MHz F103 might just as well beat a 64MHz nRF52. But as soon as you need to use floating point operations, there is more than a 10x delta.

GrumpyOldPizza

Postby GrumpyOldPizza » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:26 pm

https://github.com/arduino-org/Arduino/ ... o/stm32f4/

Mostly Leaflabs, ST HAL barely used ...

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:02 pm

Thanks.

This is inline with what they sold various people at Maker Faire.

I have not heard from either the Arduino guys or the ST guys for a while.

But, the impression I have, is that they have not started work on a core that uses the CMSIS or HAL etc as yet.

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:19 pm

I don't see any Leaflabs legacy files there, they removed all libmaple folders.

Return to “All other boards”