Hy-Tiny STM32F103 board ever get discussed here?

Any other STM32 based boards
stevech

Hy-Tiny STM32F103 board ever get discussed here?

Post by stevech » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:52 am

NOTICE: After discussion in this thread, we found that this seller's recommended download software includes a "crack" for a commercial C/C++ compiler. This is not legal in most countries. And it is very unethical. The compiler in question has a free not-for-commercial-use license with a 32KB code size restriction, suitable for running the demonstrations.

http://www.hotmcu.com/stm32f103tb-arm-c ... cPath=1_20
(nice schematic URL is given)

and
http://jeelabs.org/article/1602a/
Last edited by stevech on Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MagSem

Re: Hy-Tiny STM32F103 board ever get discussed here?

Post by MagSem » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:05 pm

Nice little board...

As AtMega328P-PU, only 128kB memory instead 32, and 72MHz instead 16.

And FAQ:

1. Connect PA0 to GND.

2. Go to Programm Mode:
ISP Button Press, Reset Button Press.

3. Load from USB to Serial adapter (3V3 – 3V3, GND – GND, RXD – PA9, TXD – PA10) generic_boot20_pa1.bin:
stm32flash.exe -w generic_boot20_pa1.bin COMXX

4. Reset

And you have full-speed USB 2.0 Arduino device...

stevech

Post by stevech » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:43 pm

Comparing ARM Cortex to Atmel AVR.. apples to oranges. N/A.
Don't all ST Cortex have that boot in ROM?

The Hy-Tiny also makes it easy to use the SWD pins for doing ST-LInk flash and breakpoint-debugging.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:30 am

Its already in the list in the boards menu.

It was added by @jcw a few months ago.

I was going to buy one or two but never got around to it, and I don't really need any more STM32's as I have loads of them already ;-)

mrburnette

WARNING-CAUTION: Hy-Tiny STM32F103 board

Post by mrburnette » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:46 pm

FYI ... Caution:
In the link provided by stevech, there is a rather large download:
Documents
Dimensions
Development Board Schematic
Software and Example Code CDROM
Which totals 1,318,862KB !!!

The contents of this download contains two "cracked" development environments. Before you download, please make certain that you do not run afoul with the laws in your country/jurisdiction. Additionally, I would have concerns about trojans and other nasty security issues if you run the code on your local PC.
STM32_Tools_CD.jpg
STM32_Tools_CD.jpg (194.27 KiB) Viewed 1613 times

stevech

Post by stevech » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:00 am

Wow. I didn't look at their software downloads until you mentioned the IAR EWARM crack.
I just downloaded and do see a very old EWARM version and a crack file for it.
How dare they! No ethics in China businesses.

I'll not buy from them!

(I have EWARM licenses as IAR USB dongles - purchased from IAR for use on professional projects, and I use EWARM a great deal. Legitimate.)

Dear moderators: Please delete this entire thread if possible.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:45 am

Guys,

I looked at the thread and thought that stevech must have removed the link to the software, because I couldnt see a direct link to download the said software.

But I now see that the company selling the board has a link to software.

I think this board has possibly been linked to previously, and someone may want to buy that board (I considered it myself)
So I'm not sure its valid to delete the whole thread just because a site that was linked to happens to an illegal download on it.

I'd not be surprised if we looked through all the links to AliExpress, that we would find multiple links to downloads which would not be legal outside China.

I think as long as we have Ray's comment about the software, I think we have done due diligence here, without throwing the baby out with the bathwater (as the old saying goes...)

PS. Steve, if you are concerned about this, you can edit your own post.

stevech

Post by stevech » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:32 pm

Thanks. I did add the disclaimer to my post. The link to download is on the vendor's web site, not here.
A tip-off is that the email address for contacting the seller is a gmail domain, not a commercial domain name.

My disdain for China's lack of ethics grows. Doing so for geek stuff pales by comparison to selling intentionally-tainted baby food as has happened. Anything goes in China. IMO, we should not patronize those sellers for the sake of saving $5.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:27 am

I finally got around to buying some of these little boards. (HY-TinySTM103T)

I know that @jcw at Jeelabs seems to use them a lot, and I was interested to see how well they were made and how small they are

Anyway, they arrived today, and seem to be quite a good board.

Whats puzzling me however at the moment, is that the board has some software pre-flashed onto it, which behaves as a 64k USB mass storage device.
I suspect that as the device is a STM32F103TB, and has 128K, that perhaps this 64k mass storage device is mapped to the upper 64k

But whether its intended to be used as an upload method I don't know yet as I need to solder on a header and connect my STLink and see if I can read back the entire flash (or just the bits that are not protected) and see if I can find where its putting the uploaded files.

I know I can just load the bootloader, but if possible I'll try to read out whatever code there is already in the device in case it comes in handy. But I suspect perhaps its going to be read protected, or perhaps its just got a mass storage demo loaded...

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:46 am

FYI, this board is available in EU here : http://www.watterott.com/en/STM32F103TB ... ment-Board