Particle Electron - Cellular

Any other STM32 based boards
mrmonteith

Particle Electron - Cellular

Post by mrmonteith » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:09 pm

I might be behind the curve but found this interesting on the Particle Electron. STM32 with Cellular and decent data plan. I can't look at shiny new objects too long or my fingers get itchy to buy. :lol:

Particle Electron- The Solution to Cellular of Things

I just pulled it up so haven't read much into it other than a quick glance. But I'm already thinking of projects it would be great for. Reminder to self to get a Powerball. I need to retire so I can get to building. :lol:

Michael

RogerClark

Re: Particle Electron - Cellular

Post by RogerClark » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:50 pm

Unfortunately it uses the F2, for which there is no support in libmaple.

I have 2 Spark Photons, but never got around to using them.

I know they are popular and hyped, but Im not willing to use cloud based dev systems for various reasons, which initially ruled out me using the Photon with the official SDK

However I suspect there may be offline dev for the Photon mow.

Im just too busy with work to have any time to get back to this.

mrmonteith

Re: Particle Electron - Cellular

Post by mrmonteith » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:27 pm

I haven't looked at either that in-depth. I knew it had the F2 but someone that does development using other tools might like it. Yeah, I'm not to keep on cloud based stuff. Sounds good until they disappear and you're stuck with a block. Plus I know we all like more control over what our stuff does and should be up to us whether we want stuff sitting on a cloud for someone to snoop. Plus you're dependent on their service. That already turns me off. Nice idea, but implementation stinks.

How long has the Photon been out? if it's been out a while and no one has come up with better tools to develop with then it probably won't catch on any time soon. My time is limited enough. I prefer stuff I can develop quickly without having to dissect and rebuild. It might be fine if I have specific project that all of it fits nicely.

I was seriously hoping it was a nice answer to cellular connected STM32. Well, nicer than it is. :roll:

I was searching their site and looks like there has been request for local-based IDEs to work with these devices.
IDE

I'm still looking around.

Michael