New Adafruit STM32F205 board with wifi

Any other STM32 based boards
mrburnette

Re: New Adafruit STM32F205 board with wifi

Postby mrburnette » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Ollie wrote:Just curios, if anybody has been able to use the new Adafruit WICED Feather WiFi (F205) board. <...>

@Ollie, I am too cheap to play around with the Adafruit "real" hardware, although I have been known to duplicate it on myproject pages... such as the Trinket and Pro Trinket.

But I did look at the WICED and it was discussed here a bit, but I think in the Broadcom sense and not the Adafruit specific product. Leave this post open for a few days and let's see if anyone bites :shock:

Just a side note: USB enumeration problems are prevalent on many systems. Under Windows 8.1 with the Maple Mini original bootloader, I never had much problems. With 2.0 bootloader, an occasional issue. Now on Linux with Mint 17.3 and the Maple Mini and the ESP8266, I sometimes get an upload failure. Disconnecting the USB and doing a re-plug almost always works but some worry about USB connector wear (really?) I don't worry because I use DeoxIT to clean and lub my USB cables and notebook connectors. Of course, maybe I am being punished with more failures for trying to fight the failed upload gods :lol:

Ray

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Adafruit stuff is too expensive for me as well, mainly due to the overseas shipping costs.

I did buy some EMW3165 modules from SeedStudio, which also have a broadcomm WICED WiFi device, but have never used them.
Actually I think I destroyed one, trying to solder to its tiny SMD pads.

Currently Im mainly using the ESP8266 for Wifi projects, but I am now finding that the ESP8266 is only suitable for simple wifi projects, as for example it does not have support to communicate with some of Amazon's services.

And there is a big lack of example code from Espressive for prominent technologies like MQTT.

So in the longer term I may have to upgrade to using broadcomm devices for some Wifi projects ( but it will be steep learning curve)

bobc

Postby bobc » Fri May 20, 2016 7:42 pm

Rick Kimball wrote:Do we care? She calls bog standard ws2812b leds neopixels. She is all about rebranding.

i think you hit the nail on the head there. Adafruit talk a lot about Open Source, but are pretty good at taking other people's stuff and making it look like they invented it (after adding a healthy markup). I think for them "Open Source" is a just a means to an end - the end being making money of course.

They *really* do not like being criticised either. Adverse comments on their website quickly vanish.

I don't see any credits given to Leaflabs or stm32duino in the Adafruit STM32 repo, seems poor form to me.

keypunch

Postby keypunch » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:22 am

Is it not a GPL requirement to keep the copyrights in the code, even when forked?

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:55 am

keypunch wrote:Is it not a GPL requirement to keep the copyrights in the code, even when forked?

There was some speculation that Leaflabs came to an agreement with Adafruit about removal of their copyright info (Though I don't think this has ever been confirmed)

keypunch

Postby keypunch » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:13 pm

RogerClark wrote:
keypunch wrote:Is it not a GPL requirement to keep the copyrights in the code, even when forked?

There was some speculation that Leaflabs came to an agreement with Adafruit about removal of their copyright info (Though I don't think this has ever been confirmed)

I looked at the leaflabs/libmaple/LICENSE. Interesing it is mostly a MIT license. It states "Copyright (c) 2009-2010 LeafLabs LLC" and "The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software." I would think that that actually prevents removal even by way of "some agreement" of copyright notice and owner. I am no expert on such matters, but unless someone buys the code outright, and even then, they still likely need to state prior copyright ownership.

Some of the code is listed as GPL, which if being used by Adafruit would have to remain GPL.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:57 pm

I'm not sure if the MIT license prevents the company who wrote the code (Leaflabs), selling virtually the same code to another company (Adafruit) with a different license, i.e Adafruit are allowed to re-brand.

You presumption is that Adafruit didn't contact LeafLabs and re-license the software.

Nutsy

Postby Nutsy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:44 pm

Im a little confused by this thread, have adrafruit stollen rogers work and called it there own?

Return to “All other boards”