New Adafruit STM32F205 board with wifi

Any other STM32 based boards
mrburnette

Re: New Adafruit STM32F205 board with wifi

Post by mrburnette » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:59 pm

RogerClark wrote:Did they really remove the Leaflabs copyright !!

I wonder if they have an agreement with Leaflabs about that.

(BTW. As far as I know the Leaflabs guys were working for Google last time I looked at their site.
Yep... all Leaflabs references removed in the core files I checked; she and the Leaflabs dudes were all MIT, so maybe there is some IP transfer going on here... you know, "I will gladly buy you a pizza if I can remove your copyright from the code." However, she did leave in the first copyright from Perry Hung.
* Copyright (c) 2010 Perry Hung.
* Copyright (c) 2011, 2012 LeafLabs, LLC.
Ray

Edit:
Seems like Perry has his github here and the files all appear to be 5+ year old, but the "official" referenced source here has updates in the past year. Now Adafruit has their sources and we have Roger's.
Last edited by mrburnette on Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Kimball

Post by Rick Kimball » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:36 pm

Do we care? She calls bog standard ws2812b leds neopixels. She is all about rebranding.
-rick

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:28 am

Rick Kimball wrote:Do we care? She calls bog standard ws2812b leds neopixels. She is all about rebranding.
Nah, I do not care, but I do wish she had openly forked Roger's branch and would be in a position to offer some pulls. There are far more active hours spent at Adafruit on code maintenance than spent here... by her admission, it has taken 12 months in design to get this latest product to market.

Ray

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:17 am

I don't quite understand why they forked my repo or the original Leaflabs repo

I'd have been much more inclined to put the effort into forking @sheepdoll's HAL based repo, or Avik's Koduino repo, as both of these are based on the CMSIS etc

Especially as they are only supporting one processor variant in the F2 family.

BTW. Looking in their repo they don't seem to have the SPI lib yet. Perhaps they are rewriting it from scratch

If I had a few months of downtime, I'd probably take @sheepdoll's work and build upon it, but having any free time seems highly unlikely at the moment.

sheepdoll

Post by sheepdoll » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:20 am

RogerClark wrote: If I had a few months of downtime, I'd probably take @sheepdoll's work and build upon it, but having any free time seems highly unlikely at the moment.
Sheepdoll feels the same way. I have my Nucleo F4 sitting here on the desk with a USB 'B' Connector breakout attached. I think it is a few lines of code to get CDC USB serial working. I just do not ever seem to have the time to enter those few lines of code.

Then there is the Discovery429I. I am somewhat confident that Adafrut GFX library can run the ili934 and touch. It is all there set up in the register files.

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:42 am

I sometimes read about all these cores, what's it all about? Are they all arduino compatible, what's the difference between them, what's still to do to get them usable, etc...

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:10 pm

racemaniac wrote:I sometimes read about all these cores, what's it all about? Are they all arduino compatible, what's the difference between them, what's still to do to get them usable, etc...
"Core" is a set of software drivers (abstractions), the purpose of these drivers are to create a monolithic view of the underlying hardware and to expose that hardware uniformly to the Arduino (C, C++) code that is written. Essentially, they are a form of low-level libraries and present a common application interface (API) and should ideally work (nearly) identically across all hardware board types. This allows the bulk of your code such as Serial.print("Hello World"); to function flawlessly regardless of the specific microcontroller utilized by the manufacturer of the board. Do not confuse this with higher libraries such as the standard libraries: http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/ and obviously the core is entirely independent of 3rd party supplied libraries such as the Adafruit display libraries.

It's like one of those 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles ... each piece has its own place and when properly connected, the puzzle is complete.

Ray

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:41 pm

mrburnette wrote:
racemaniac wrote:I sometimes read about all these cores, what's it all about? Are they all arduino compatible, what's the difference between them, what's still to do to get them usable, etc...
"Core" is a set of software drivers (abstractions), the purpose of these drivers are to create a monolithic view of the underlying hardware and to expose that hardware uniformly to the Arduino (C, C++) code that is written. Essentially, they are a form of low-level libraries and present a common application interface (API) and should ideally work (nearly) identically across all hardware board types. This allows the bulk of your code such as Serial.print("Hello World"); to function flawlessly regardless of the specific microcontroller utilized by the manufacturer of the board. Do not confuse this with higher libraries such as the standard libraries: http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/ and obviously the core is entirely independent of 3rd party supplied libraries such as the Adafruit display libraries.

It's like one of those 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles ... each piece has its own place and when properly connected, the puzzle is complete.

Ray
And what's the difference between the cores that are being discussed here? I've been playing around a bit in the maple core for what i'm currently doing with driving the i2c hardware directly. Why would we want to move to a different core?
Sometimes when i see you guys discussing new bootloaders/cores/... i notice i have a lot of catching up to do :p. I know enough programming to understand & manipulate the maple core i'm currently using, but i'm starting to wonder what you're doing with all those other cores, and what the goal is (and what to expect in the near future, will you break my projects when a new core is used XD).

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:49 pm

racemaniac wrote: And what's the difference between the cores that are being discussed here? I've been playing around a bit in the maple core for what i'm currently doing with driving the i2c hardware directly. Why would we want to move to a different core?

Oh, I'm not discussing moving to a different core; I'm stating that Adafruit copied Roger's github core which Roger copied from Bob Cumming which Bob copied from Leaflabs which Leaflabs seems to have copied from Perry Hung. In this context, "copying" is actually branching or forking the code. It also seems that Adafruit put in some effort to rework some of the core files - enhancements? Unknown since she never offered Roger a "pull request" so that issues that were resolved could be incorporated (after testing) with our current base. Of course, since this is open source code, there is no requirement to offer a pull, but generally it is considered a nice thing to do; assuming there were fixes. The changes made may have been strictly to accommodate the specific F2 chip that is being utilized in her design.

When core files are written as classes, the end-coder or library writer can inherit the class in their code and modify it... adding or subtracting as needed. When code is written as functions, then the user cannot inherit, but they can completely rewrite a function as they need that function to work.

On my Linux box, the I2C core files are located in this path:

Code: Select all

/home/ray/Arduino/hardware/STM32/STM32F1/cores/maple/libmaple
and I would include that core code by doing #include <i2c.h> in my Arduino sketch.

What is probably causing some confusion here is that some of the core code is in the libmaple as shown above and some are also located in

Code: Select all

/home/ray/Arduino/hardware/STM32/STM32F1/cores/maple
Ex:
pwm.h

Leaflabs split these files because (IMO) they wanted to completely separate the Maple effort from previous work done on the Arduino AVR, some of which is found in the second (higher level) directory reference. But, IMO, core files are core files and subordinate directory structures are just a convenience.
As of March 2015, the LeafLabs Maple line and the libmaple library are end-of-life and no longer supported by LeafLabs. The design files for Maple and Maple Mini will remain available on GitHub, under a CC-BY-SA 2.0 license, for anyone who wants to recreate or reimagine these boards. libmaple will also stay on GitHub, and we will continue to take community patches.
but i'm starting to wonder what you're doing with all those other cores, and what the goal is (and what to expect in the near future, will you break my projects when a new core is used XD).
Maybe! But that is why there are two branches (actually more, but 2 normally used) in Roger's github account: Master and Development and we want all newbies to be on the Master branch and those that are proofing and testing should be on the Development branch. Every once in a while, Roger will announce a merge of the two. So, when someone who has forked Roger's STM32 has made important enhancements or fixes, they send Roger a pull-request which Roger will analyze and if it looks appropriate, then he will merge it into the Development branch and announce that. If you keep pulling the Development branch, then you can regression test and report back, either through Github directly (preferred) or on the forum.

Now, most importantly, part of anySDLC is to have your own set of test-cases. I have a basic set that I donated which is on github:
https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... teExamples
and I compile each everytime I update my STM32 files. This is quiet simple stuff, so nothing should break. I also have projects which I have published here that I will recompile just to be certain nothing has broken. As you are a seasoned programmer, I'm not going to embarrass myself about SDLC; I mentioned it here for completeness.

Ray

Ollie

Post by Ollie » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:28 pm

Just curios, if anybody has been able to use the new Adafruit WICED Feather WiFi (F205) board. I did follow the instructions on Adafruit website for setup. There were no error messages during the lengthy manual process. In CC Arduino 1.6.5, I can select the WICED Feather, but the compilation fails with all section alternatives.

There seems to be problem(s) in USB communication, because the port selection is not available.

I have not yet soldered the SWD pins to test this board with mbed or EmBitz. It would be nice to have this available in Arduino with plain USB connection to setup the wireless communication.

Anybody, any recommendations?

Cheers, Ollie