BETA bootloader for Generic boards . Already working.

Bootloader for boards that don't have the addition hardware found on the Maple mini, which resets the USB
RogerClark

Re: BETA bootloader for Generic boards . Already working.

Post by RogerClark » Sun May 31, 2015 10:52 am

Victor

I've removed the inline -D defines in the Makefile for the generic boards, and have created separate sections in config.h for them.

If buttons are important, we could add new targets e.g.

make gerneric-pc13-pc14

e.g. led on pc13 button on pc14, but its very dependent on what people have on their board, and none of my generic boards have a "button" on them (apart from the reset button), so unless the pin is already used, people may as well use PC14 , for their button, as its the pin defined in the code.

I've not had chance to fully document how to modify the bootloader, but I'll try to do that it, one evening in the week.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:33 am

Victor

I think I may change the name of the "Maple DFU" upload option on the generic boards

I know the name makes sense to us, but to anyone coming to this afresh, it probably doesn't instantly become apparent that its the option for the Generic Bootloader

Perhaps we can call it "Bootloader upload" ? though that sounds a bit like we are uploading the bootloader

perhaps Generic Bootloader

But again I know we call it the generic bootloader, but its kinda an internal name.

Any ideas ? (Perhaps I better post this to general discussion)

mrbwa1

Post by mrbwa1 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:06 pm

Roger,

My sarcastic side really wants to suggest the Oak Uploader, or perhaps Pine or Hickory(can you tell our street names here are all trees?).

Now, to be serious: why not just BareSTM32 Uploader of GenSTM32 Uploader. With Gen, it could be taken as Generic or General. It does kind of seem like development is falling into the Maple board variants and General Board variants. For beginners, General is a nice soft term and a good foundation where specific variants can be offered.

Just a thought for y'all (my feelings won't be hurt if it's a bad idea... I'm full of bad ideas).

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:20 pm

RogerClark wrote:Victor

I think I may change the name of the "Maple DFU" upload option on the generic boards

I know the name makes sense to us, but to anyone coming to this afresh, it probably doesn't instantly become apparent that its the option for the Generic Bootloader

Perhaps we can call it "Bootloader upload" ? though that sounds a bit like we are uploading the bootloader

perhaps Generic Bootloader

But again I know we call it the generic bootloader, but its kinda an internal name.

Any ideas ? (Perhaps I better post this to general discussion)
STM32Duino bootloader?

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:31 pm

Stm32duino bootloader did cross my mind

I may post this to general discussion, so it gets a wider airing.

Thanks

Roger

madias

Post by madias » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:21 pm

My sarcastic side really wants to suggest the Oak Uploader, or perhaps Pine or Hickory
My sarcastic side would take the name "weeping willow" because leaflabs abandoned the whole maple project and my optimistic side would take the name "weed", because weed does not pass :)

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:31 pm

(lol)

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:35 am

... of course, "GenXup" is still avsilable :D

R