Bootloader failure on VET board

STM32duino bootloader aka Maple bootloader
edogaldo

Re: Bootloader failure on VET board

Post by edogaldo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:08 pm

Ok, it looks like the problem is in the PLL.
I could successfully run a blink sample (with blinking freq of about 4 hz) with all HSI, HSE and 72 MHz configurations on both boards:
- ZET6: frequency appears correct with all 3 configurations
- VET6: frequency appears correct with both HSI and HSE but is completely wrong (about 10 times slower) with 72 MHz..
Note: I used a SPL blink sample to test the different configurations.

Are you aware of any kind of differences in the PLL configuration between VET6s and ZET6s?

By the way: I can confirm the led is on PC13.

Thanks and best, E.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:48 pm

AFIK, There are no differnces between the clock PLL settings in the whole F103 series.

You can check the master programming manual fo the STM32F1 series,

http://www.st.com/resource/en/reference ... 171190.pdf

If the HSE ( High Speed External) crystal osc wont start, the code hangs during the core initialisation, as it waits indefimitely for the flag indicating the osc is running.

I suspect you have a fault crystal osc on that board, and the MCU thinks its a much lower frequency.

You could hack the core and change the PLL multipler and there is also a 2 x pre multipler as well, but I am not sure you will find a combination of PLL settings that will work and the osc is likely to pack up completely at any random time.

martinayotte

Post by martinayotte » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:03 pm

Could be a bad capacitor's value around the xtal which prevent the oscillation startup.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:06 pm

Or dry solder joints

i would attempt to resolder the osc components with an soldering iron, or reflow air tool.

edogaldo

Post by edogaldo » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:16 pm

Ok, thank you both for the suggestions, I'm not very good with soldering, moreover with smd microscopical parts :roll: anyway maybe I'll try it. ;)

Thank you again and best! E.

ahull

Post by ahull » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:30 pm

edogaldo wrote:Ok, thank you both for the suggestions, I'm not very good with soldering, moreover with smd microscopical parts :roll: anyway maybe I'll try it. ;)

Thank you again and best! E.
SMD is not so scary, you just need a little magnification and a steady hand (or someone who is able to perform the magic for you of course :D ).

My gut feeling is that if you reflow the solder on the two small oscillator caps and the oscillator itself, the thing will probably work, and if it doesn't... well it was broken when you got it, so it can't be any worse. First thing though, try to get a good detailed close up photo of the offending area. I find my camera has better eyesight than I do. I'm sure its the advances in technology that make the camera superior, and nothing to do with my age ;)

One other trick. Try pressing each of those components (C4,C5,C6,C7 and Y1 and Y2) with your finger while the thing is running, and see if it magically springs in to life. If the solder joint is dry, the component may well be sitting proud of the solder pads, and pressing it on to the board may bring it temporarily back to life. Also press down gently on the processor, in case one of the pins is not soldered down.
- Andy Hull -

edogaldo

Post by edogaldo » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:53 pm

It's incredible!!!
It looks like I found the problem: checking the pbc it seemed me there was a micro short-circuit between OSC_IN and OSC_OUT, I passed the cutter between them and... magic! Now everything seems working.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Also the mass storage demo!! :)

Best regards, E.

ahull

Post by ahull » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:11 pm

edogaldo wrote:It's incredible!!!
It looks like I found the problem: checking the pbc it seemed me there was a micro short-circuit between OSC_IN and OSC_OUT, I passed the cutter between them and... magic! Now everything seems working.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Also the mass storage demo!! :)

Best regards, E.
Excellent. The build quality of these boards is OK at best, and the quality control seems to be pretty variable to. I guess you can't complain too much for the price... The micro short may be an example of tin whisker disease, so it *might* have been working when it left the assembly line.

Glad you found the problem.
- Andy Hull -

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:47 pm

Well...

We've all learnt something new... Serial upload works even if the external crystal doesn't

BTW. It looks like the USB mass storage binary that I retrieved from the HY-Tiny STM32F103TB board, is indeed just a mass storage demo..
Because I found the source files for it, in with the downloadable files on the manufacturers website.
But the files are built in Keil, and use the old STM Standard Peripheral Library, so not really that useful.

If anyone is interested in using mass storage, I recall there is some code to use mass storage with libmaple, but I think it would take some time to get it to work

https://github.com/joeferner/maple-usbMassStorage

edogaldo

Post by edogaldo » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:57 pm

Hi Roger, yes, the USART boot loader uses the HSI, this is documented in RM0008 (last note of par. 3.4).