[SOLVED] Problems with the bootloader

STM32duino bootloader aka Maple bootloader
RogerClark

Re: Blue pill's Bootloader - what's goin' on .. ???

Post by RogerClark » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:43 pm

I don't use W10 because of these sorts of problems, when it does an update and trashes all my drivers.

Anyway.
I have not tested this...
If you have a blue pill with the generic_pc13 bootloader installed, try pulling pin PC14 high, then power cycle the board.

The code in the bootloader is supposed to check PC14 and if it's high, it locks the bootloader into DFU mode, waiting for upload.

Just tested this, but it doesnt work

I'll need to compile a new version which uses boot1 (This doubles up a a GPIO pin)

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:50 pm

I just tested the latest generic_pc13.bin from github and its working fine on my W7 machine

I have a PR I need to merge before I can change the code to use Boot1 to hold in DFU mode

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:11 am

I checked again, and pulling PC14 high when powering on the board does cause the bootloader (generic-pc13) to hold in DFU mode

This is also know as "Perpetual bootloader" mode.

I've also merged a PR that unifies the GD32 and STM32 bootloaders and done some other housekeeping

And I have extended the default bootloader DFU wait to be just over twice as long as before - so this is around 2 seconds.

Hopefully this will resolve the problems people seem to be having with slow USB detection on Windows 10

dackley

Post by dackley » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:50 pm

I'm very sorry Roger and everyone else. My mistake. I discovered that my problem was that I didn't have the Maple DFU driver properly installed. Once I installed/reinstalled the driver the Blue Pill bootloader works just fine. I'm not sure why it worked before unless one of the Windows 10 updates caused the Maple DFU driver to get deleted. Again I'm sorry for the false alarm.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:54 pm

Umm

I will have to change the dfu hold time back to what it was before.

estebanr77

Post by estebanr77 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:16 pm

I was having the same problem, only capable of flashing while pressing reset button on the ''right'' time, usually just before uploading from arduino ide. My device was not appearing in dfu-list -l, only on the brief moments after the reset. The problem was that the upload-reset program was not working quite right, from the stm32 repo in device manager from this link: http://dan.drown.org/stm32duino/package ... index.json. Replacing it with the 'upload-reset' from the main repo in https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... 2.wiki.git, finally worked instantly. No manual reset needed anymore and instant upload

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:15 pm

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:29 pm

The Boards Manager package you used is created and maintained by @ddrown, and not updated very often.

The repo on GitHub gets updates every week, and sometimes multiple updates per week, so it's always best to use the repo