Newer != Better

Anything not related to STM32
dannyf

Newer != Better

Post by dannyf »

I wanted to try the G0 series so I thought I would try out stm32cubeide -> everything takes a loooooong time to complete on my computer.

Moved to MDK5 and it was a breeze -> unfortunately they no longer support windows 7 so I had to manually download the packs -> super slow.

Then I figured out a way to compile them on CoIDE (from like 2017-ish). It was a breeze.

Later I worked on a dsPIC33 project and used mplab 8: not bad to compile a 200KB project but definitely not as lightening fast as on emBlock (1.01). Compiling the same project on the emBlock is almost instanenous.

software is getting more and more bloated - everything is huge and slow. What a shame.
ag123
Answers: 24

Re: Newer != Better

Post by ag123 »

try doing CMake, I think it is a better 'platform' to build the firmware. A trouble, is due to the huge portfolio of MCU series, STM32 F1, F3, F4, F7, H7, G0, C0, WB, MP1 etc, doing things with #includes and #ifdef is sooner than later going to tie up a huge amount of dependencies.

CMake allows the dependencies to be configured separately while sharing a same or similar codebase, and that those components can be swapped in config. I'd think it is a better setup for building for a complex portfolio of architecture.
dannyf

Post by dannyf »

will look into it. thanks for the suggestion.
dannyf

Post by dannyf »

Seemed fine. I got it going in mdk5, after downloading the pack. Smooth sailing after that.

Return to “Off topic”